Magic Keyboard Now Available to Order for iPad Pro 12.9- and 11-inch iPad Pro

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
$349 is kinda steep, don’t know if I can justify the price tag but it’s def cool and looks sick. I would like a trackpad on my current keyboard case by Logitech but they don’t have one in the works for the 2018 12.9. Will have to wait and see

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
$349 is kinda steep, don’t know if I can justify the price tag but it’s def cool and looks sick. I would like a trackpad on my current keyboard case by Logitech but they don’t have one in the works for the 2018 12.9. Will have to wait and see

I justified it to myself because I wasn’t upgrading my iPad. With the release of the 2020 iPad keeping the same form factor with adding a minimal CPU boost and better camera and AR, there was no way I could justify purchasing a new $1500 iPad when my 3rd gen (2018) pro is working perfectly.

Software updates have been instrumental in keeping the iPad feel like a refreshed, new device every 6 months or so, and I think this keyboard will do the same... it’ll be like having a brand new iPad without buying the “new” iPad.

Hoping for a game-changing update in 2021/2022 for the iPad, but Apple seemed to really hit it out of the park with the 2018 iPad Pro redesign and incredible chip that’s keeping this iPad running faster than most new computers!

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Makes sense. Be sure to post some pics and maybe that’ll sell me on the keyboard (I hope not). Other than my yearly iPhone upgrade, my MacBook Air upgrade in October I told myself this was it for me.

I agree that the camera and CPU boost is not enough to convince me to upgrade

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Makes sense. Be sure to post some pics and maybe that’ll sell me on the keyboard (I hope not). Other than my yearly iPhone upgrade, my MacBook Air upgrade in October I told myself this was it for me.

I agree that the camera and CPU boost is not enough to convince me to upgrade

Will do!

I may do a short unboxing video as well, if I receive mine day 1 of shipments.

minimejer05

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
My keyboard showed up today and I can definitely say that it was worth every penny. Finally, I can use my iPad as my laptop with a keyboard and trackpad. Feels very much like a more versatile iPad/MacBook hybrid now.

Last edited:

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine came in this afternoon - I’ve been a pretty heavy iPad Pro user since this generation came out in 2018 (although I still do have a MacBook Pro and iMac desktop to cover all the bases and for certain desktop app support), but I think trackpad support on iOS is going to revolutionize even more what the iPad Pro can already do! Very happy.

b9a5e9ddd08fb7ae53d58132d08e36c4.plist
5965772e812fa9cf393ae8130a376f7a.plist

JNM

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the Magic Keyboard from Apple directly early on 4-15-2020 and it is now late evening on the 25th. My order is still in the “processing” stage, supposedly preparing to be shipped.

Out of frustration and a little impatience I ordered the same Magic Keyboard from Verizon late on the 22nd. I have now been using it for two and a half days and my Apple order is still “processing.” Obviously, I contacted Apple to cancel the order. We’ll see how smoothly that goes as they claim they cannot cancel it. My guess is they charge me, ship it, and I’ll have to return it.

Aside from all the fun stuff mentioned, I love this keyboard. It is not perfect, but it is the best tablet keyboard I remember having used thus far. It is a pleasure to type on, comparing very favorably over my Surface Pro keyboard, as it feels more solid to type on whether on my desk or my lap. Every key feels good as I tap it and it made me pull out my old MacBook Pro (2011 model...hasn’t been charged or even used since 2018) just to see how it compares. It was a genuinely close comparison, with the MacBook Pro being the better of the two, but it is not such a distinct advantage as expected.

The trackpad is a fantastic addition to the iPad and the trackpad included with the Magic Keyboard for the iPad is almost everything I might have expected. While it does not have all of the gestures I recall using on my MacBook, or even those from my Surface Pro (surprisingly good, btw), it manages everything I would expect it to on the iPad very well.

Surely, the keyboard has some good weight to it, and if you have been reading some of the reviews, or watching the video reviews on YouTube, the iPad Pro 12.9 attached to the Magic Keyboard weighs more than the latest MacBook Air. Together, they are barely a few grams heavier. If you notice this difference yourself, even holding the two side-by-side, I highly suggest a gym membership. You need it.

The base of this keyboard case could stand to be a bit heavier than it is, to compensate for the weight of the iPad Pro when attached, as the current design leaves this combination feeling somewhat top heavy. Some form of weight at the base, especially closest to the user, would be very welcomed.

Also, the more I use the Magic Keyboard, the more I miss the function key row on other computers. It is really only the audio and brightness controls to which I miss having easy access. Both are deep inside Apple less than organized Settings menu and settings that affect the Magic keyboard are found in at least four different places within the overall Settings menu. It’s a cluster.

The overall size will be beneficial once we getting back traveling for work again. Whereas the Surface Pro computer needs too much surface area to spread out on most airline tray tables, the iPad with Magic Keyboard will fit just fine.

Here is the short and sweet...The Magic Keyboard is easily the best keyboard available for any tablet. It’s features, feel, weight, keyboard, trackpad, and overall size make the iPad with the Magic Keyboard my favorite laptop/tablet hybrid available. For most of us, this setup can easily replace a laptop.

Last edited:

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
For now I decided i will just use my new 12.9" in the Black folio case on a stand, and the magic keyboard and track pad i have been using with my iMac for on my desk, that way i can still use it as just a iPad around the house, i have a spare Apple wired keyboard and magic mouse for the iMac.
Save $589AUD here for the 12.9 version and i don't like it doesn't have volume and screen brightness keys and would be naked off the case.
If doesn't work out might look at the new Bridge with trackpad.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
“I agree that the camera and CPU boost is not enough to convince me to upgrade”

There is no CPU boost. There is a single extra core in the GPU (8 instead of 7). That is a minuscule upgrade. BTW, this is a core that is already present in the 2018 models, but it is disabled. So this has been planned for a long time.

As for the camera, that is not an upgrade either. A lower res, wider angle camera is pretty useless. I would much rather have a 12MP telephoto lens. A 12 MP wide angle AND a 10MP wider angle? Pass.

Why? Because you can always step back a few feet to get everything in your pic. There are MANY more scenarios when you can’t get closer. You can always get further away. Hence, a telephoto lens is better. The iPhone 8 Plus has better cameras than this - 12MP wide angle and 12MP telephoto.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Cancelled my Apple store order for the Magic Keyboard because Best Buy was able to deliver today versus 13th-20th. OMG this thing is for REAL! I had the 10.5 Pro with Smart Keyboard and didn’t feel I got the most out of it because you had to reach for the screen so much. Not the “case” here. It’s not nearly as heavy as I thought it would be and it was so completely natural to go for the trackpad versus screen. It’s also the most money I’ve ever spent on an  product or accessory and absolutely no regrets here!

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Cancelled my Apple store order for the Magic Keyboard because Best Buy was able to deliver today versus 13th-20th. OMG this thing is for REAL! I had the 10.5 Pro with Smart Keyboard and didn’t feel I got the most out of it because you had to reach for the screen so much. Not the “case” here. It’s not nearly as heavy as I thought it would be and it was so completely natural to go for the trackpad versus screen. It’s also the most money I’ve ever spent on an  product or accessory and absolutely no regrets here!

Nice. I just looked and Best Buy has it as sold out now. Ugh I have to keep waiting.

omniv0re

May 5, 2020
Visit site
How is the display angle working out for everyone? Especially when using this on the lap? I'm super tempted to get one of these but the one thing holding me back is how many reviewers say that the angle is just a bit too steep. I write miles of text every day and am super picky with my writing environment (which is also why I've never bothered with any keyboard case until now) but I'd hate to shell out the big bucks on this only to find that the display is too steep for me to really relax the eyes while working.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
How is the display angle working out for everyone? Especially when using this on the lap? I'm super tempted to get one of these but the one thing holding me back is how many reviewers say that the angle is just a bit too steep. I write miles of text every day and am super picky with my writing environment (which is also why I've never bothered with any keyboard case until now) but I'd hate to shell out the big bucks on this only to find that the display is too steep for me to really relax the eyes while working.

No problems whatsoever. I had the Smart Keyboard with my 10.5 and couldn’t use it on my lap because it was too light/unsteady from the weight of the iPad. I was even concerned with going to the 12.9 size but I notice I don’t have the eye strain I have from my iPhone or smaller iPad. I’d say try it somewhere first, unless whomever you get it from has a good return policy, just in case. I am 100% happy with everything about the combo.