Is iOS too weak of an OS to be used on an iPad Pro in 2018?

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the iOS is not built for multi-tasking or for being a true computer OS with a file management system yet! That means stuck it limited functionality for now. I know it all rudimentary still compare to Android or Windows platforms! Apple will hire some talent to make it much better in the coming months. They just do not have the experienced personnel to program such features as their competitors yet!

In addition; Apple does not want to go fast and add features to their iOS. It waits and takes the go slowly approach. Plus, programmers that can upgrade sophisticated features cost a lot of money to hire that type of talent - cutting edge! Apple just cannot justify spending it money on iOS features to try to match it competitors. It will just try to do major feature improvements and let the marketing department hype it as the "greatest"! Most Apple users never have used Android or Windows products so they do not know the difference. Its new and greatest improved features are usually 4 or 5 years old from the competition. Apple is smart to do this! It save a ton on cutting edge software development and can just take it time to do it right and hire programmers at the right price since it old technology and known by the time Apple want it!

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Yep, Apple sells something called a MacBook that does all of those things :)

Sure, but then I’m lugging around two laptops through some airport, nope.

Nor am I going to travel to the other side of the world and not be able to do my job due to laptop failure on my part. Company issued laptop for work only. Personal stuff I use iPad “Pro” 10.5.

Of course I could get a MacBook Pro, a pro priced laptop missing the Ethernet port. But it is thin. So thin that because of the thermal overhead, you don’t get to use the six cores.

My point is Apple is throwing around the “Pro” moniker, but leaving out Pro features, with then exception of pricing. I found value in the 10.5” iPad Pro. I don’t find value in the new iPad Pro at $950.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It might not be a pro device for you, but it is to many many others.

Biggest issue I’m seeing, is those who expect to use an iPad Pro exactly like their current “computer”...and can’t so clearly it must be the device or the iOS. I’ve see plenty of “power users” over the years who have big egos and nothing more. Just saying, not meant for anyone in particular ??????

The specs speak for themselves, it’s absolutely a pro device.

Sure, but then I’m lugging around two laptops through some airport, nope.

Nor am I going to travel to the other side of the world and not be able to do my job due to laptop failure on my part. Company issued laptop for work only. Personal stuff I use iPad “Pro” 10.5.

Of course I could get a MacBook Pro, a pro priced laptop missing the Ethernet port. But it is thin. So thin that because of the thermal overhead, you don’t get to use the six cores.

My point is Apple is throwing around the “Pro” moniker, but leaving out Pro features, with then exception of pricing. I found value in the 10.5” iPad Pro. I don’t find value in the new iPad Pro at $950.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...My point is Apple is throwing around the “Pro” moniker, but leaving out Pro features, with the exception of pricing.
I feel the exact same way in regard to the iPad Pro.

I found value in the 10.5” iPad Pro. I don’t find value in the new iPad Pro at $950.
Well done and well stated...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It might not be a pro device for you, but it is to many many others.
No doubt about it.

Biggest issue I’m seeing, is those who expect to use an iPad Pro exactly like their current “computer”...and can’t so clearly it must be the device or the iOS.
I do not expect it to be a MacBook, but I do expect it to at least have the typical file structure so I’m able to save and download files to the device and use the local storage in the same manner as on a MacBook. In addition, I’d like to also natively view web pages in desktop view.
I’€™ve see plenty of “power users” over the years who have big egos and nothing more. Just saying, not meant for anyone in particular í ½í¸‡
No harm done by that statement, sir. I know what you mean.

The specs speak for themselves, it’s absolutely a pro device.
The specs are not the issue because the iPad Pro, even my old 9.7” model is a beast spec-wise. It basically boils down to one’s expectations and the expectations for me aren’t there yet with the iPad Pro.

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The Micro$oft Surface is basically a laptop in tablet form. It's really a great concept.

If......IF......Apple decided to do something like that.....would you be willing to pay what they would charge for it?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The Micro$oft Surface is basically a laptop in tablet form. It's really a great concept.

If......IF......Apple decided to do something like that.....would you be willing to pay what they would charge for it?

Maybe, but it depends on the price AND its capabilities.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Maybe, but it depends on the price AND its capabilities.

Something like that Apple would probably charge you both arms and legs, meaning the price would be through the roof. Would we still buy it? ? ?

YES. Even if it didn’t have the capability that we wanted we still would buy it. We probably would complain but we would still buy it. AND LOVE IT TOO.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Something like that Apple would probably charge you both arms and legs, meaning the price would be through the roof. Would we still buy it? ? ?

YES. Even if it didn’t have the capability that we wanted we still would buy it. We probably would complain but we would still buy it. AND LOVE IT TOO.

Not me.
My iPad Pro does everything I need it to do currently. Easy to carry and lots of functionality on the go.
IF they developed the OS further for more power, I would stick with my MacBook Pro for those occasions.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

We?....(laughing)....There are some who would buy it and some who won’t. It would not be a “definitive” purchase ‘for me’ without knowing the price and capabilities.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
We?....(laughing)....There are some who would buy it and some who won’t. It would not be a “definitive” purchase ‘for me’ without knowing the price and capabilities.

I.e. despite stereotypes & internet memes to the contrary, many/most of Apple’s users are NOT ‘sheep’ who will blindly buy what Apple is selling. There are those who make the mistake of viewing a satisfied customer of an Apple device (that they have no personal use for), as being less than wise with their money... Hence ‘sheep.’

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I.e. despite stereotypes & internet memes to the contrary, many/most of Apple’s users are NOT ‘sheep’ who will blindly buy what Apple is selling. There are those who make the mistake of viewing a satisfied customer of an Apple device (that they have no personal use for), as being less than wise with their money... Hence ‘sheep.’

Agreed...

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

I guess this might be me. I’m buying the 12.9” iPad Pro with cellular and 512gb without even getting my hands or eyes on it. Haven’t seen it in the store. Might see it this weekend when I go and get the smart folio case for it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I guess this might be me. I’m buying the 12.9” iPad Pro with cellular and 512gb without even getting my hands or eyes on it. Haven’t seen it in the store. Might see it this weekend when I go and get the smart folio case for it.

Lots of people buy devices without seeing them first. It doesn’t mean you’re a sheep. If you trust the brand and you’ve done your homework I don’t think there is anything odd about spending the money before getting your hands or eyes on one.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
By just simple comparison to the Surface Pro (I have the SP 3) - No way, my iPad Pro is a much better device and does everything I need it to, extremely well. Yes, there’s room for improvement in the OS and I’m confident it will evolve, but I’d never want it to be like the Surface or any other laptop for that matter.

If anything, I’d rather see the MacBook Air evolve into something like the Surface.

The iPad is in that middle category like Steve originally presented.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Lots of people buy devices without seeing them first. It doesn’t mean you’re a sheep. If you trust the brand and you’ve done your homework I don’t think there is anything odd about spending the money before getting your hands or eyes on one.

I trust the brand and probably didn’t do my homework.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
No doubt about it.

I do not expect it to be a MacBook, but I do expect it to at least have the typical file structure so I’m able to save and download files to the device and use the local storage in the same manner as on a MacBook. In addition, I’d like to also natively view web pages in desktop view. No harm done by that statement, sir. I know what you mean.

The specs are not the issue because the iPad Pro, even my old 9.7” model is a beast spec-wise. It basically boils down to one’s expectations and the expectations for me aren’t there yet with the iPad Pro.

See, iPad is built to cater for cloud users. iCloud and Files app do offer the structure and also every app that supports storage can also configured to use say iCloud or Dropbox as their default storage locations. And once that is done, you open the Files app and browse your Dropbox structure or iCloud - it’s as simple as it gets. I personally don’t rely on personal storage and only rely on sync.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
See, iPad is built to cater for cloud users. iCloud and Files app do offer the structure and also every app that supports storage can also configured to use say iCloud or Dropbox as their default storage locations. And once that is done, you open the Files app and browse your Dropbox structure or iCloud - it’s as simple as it gets. I personally don’t rely on personal storage and only rely on sync.
What you stated is fine for an iPad, but if you're going to call it an iPad Pro then I would expect it to allow me to do a good deal more than what I can do on a typical iPad.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73