Is iOS too weak of an OS to be used on an iPad Pro in 2018?

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
$3300 last year for a 2017 15” MacBook Pro. Now this year $1500 plus for a 12.9” iPad Pro 3rd gen. I guess maybe Apple seen me coming.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Needing a refreshed UI vs. completely a new one that is basically a Mac OS with touch is probably not where Apple is headed.

IMHO, expecting iPad to behave and do things like a computer in the same manner is not Apple’s intention and don’t see it changing anytime soon. iOS will improve but will not evolve to be a stripped down Mac OS for the iPad.

You’ve completely missed the point again. I said it plainly, something inbetween iOS and macOS.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
You’ve completely missed the point again. I said it plainly, something inbetween iOS and macOS.

Seriously though, no I am not missing your point. As you believe and think this should be solved in one way, I have different opinions on what should change and been using an iPad Pro since first gen I can relate to some complaints here but not entirely agree on all points. Your view on his may be valid or may be not but I don’t think I align with that view. So do consider that and understand that please :)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Seriously though, no I am not missing your point. As you believe and think this should be solved in one way, I have different opinions on what should change and been using an iPad Pro since first gen I can relate to some complaints here but not entirely agree on all points. Your view on his may be valid or may be not but I don’t think I align with that view. So do consider that and understand that please :)

I understated, but if Apple is going to tout desktop processing and “better than Xbox” graphics, then they should give that to us outside of a few specialized apps and games.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
I understated, but if Apple is going to tout desktop processing and “better than Xbox” graphics, then they should give that to us outside of a few specialized apps and games.

Where exactly does Apple state/tout iPad Pro is “desktop processing” and “better than Xbox graphics”?

And app availability - sure if you think Apple is solely responsible for apps, but that is not the case.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Where exactly does Apple state/tout iPad Pro is “desktop processing” and “better than Xbox graphics”?

And app availability - sure if you think Apple is solely responsible for apps, but that is not the case.

In the keynotes. Literally this year they said the new iPad Pro was better than Xbox One X. Probably in graphics, but they have also said desktop level performance.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
In the keynotes. Literally this year they said the new iPad Pro was better than Xbox One X. Probably in graphics, but they have also said desktop level performance.

Keynote is meant to create hype and Apple did a great job. Go to their site and look at their marketing materials - that’s what customers look at when buying the Pro.

bce209351f3ec11bf76bff8b12bb7231.jpg

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The iPad is not meant to be a replacement for a computer, it is meant to be a bridge between the iPhone and a computer.

Ipads are being used in Healthcare for instance (my profession). They are great because they are mobile and can fairly easily be used by most people. Patients can check in to a physicians office or hospital and give information to care givers regarding their medical history or current complaints. Physicians can use them to show a patient their xray or CT scan. They can draw a picture for the patient describing the surgery the will perform. Providers can look up patient information (allergies) and then order medications. A patients chart can be read or documented on. They also connect to devices for patients such as a pulse oximeter or glucometer and give patient information and send that information to their physician.
Could these things be done on an iPhone? Probably, but with more difficulty. Will they do more in the future? Probably, but I don't see the goal as being a replacement for a computer as we know it today.

Interesting conversation from all points of view by the way.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I’ve seen at my doctors’ office they would be walking around with 13” Dell’s. Maybe they don’t like Apple.

Just my 3 cents into the conversation. How come there’s no cents sign in numbers?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The point I'm seeing is that you're not even happy with your current computer (whatever it is, it IS a real computer) otherwise why would you being looking to replace it with an iPad Pro? :confused:

Please, do tell how you came to that conclusion when I’m specifically stated multiple times I don’t want it to be a MacBook. I’ve stated multiple times I think it needs to be more than iOS but not macOS. I’ve stated multiple times that it should be a true middle ground. So yes, please do tell how you came to the notion that I’m not happy with my MacBook Pro or Lenovo Yoga.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
Please, do tell how you came to that conclusion when I’m specifically stated multiple times I don’t want it to be a MacBook. I’ve stated multiple times I think it needs to be more than iOS but not macOS. I’ve stated multiple times that it should be a true middle ground. So yes, please do tell how you came to the notion that I’m not happy with my MacBook Pro or Lenovo Yoga.
From your posts I infer that you want a stripped down Mac OS on an iPad. I am specifically not saying a "better iPadOS" because most of the things you are asking for will be available in MacOS. Not saying that is not possible, but most of us here (probably not me) also only seem to want better file management support.

So, from your iPad Pro experience what are you missing right now other than better file management? I mean, if you are feeling so frsutrated using the iPad Pro, you should have a laundry list of things - let's discuss that.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
From your posts I infer that you want a stripped down Mac OS on an iPad. I am specifically not saying a "better iPadOS" because most of the things you are asking for will be available in MacOS. Not saying that is not possible, but most of us here (probably not me) also only seem to want better file management support.

So, from your iPad Pro experience what are you missing right now other than better file management? I mean, if you are feeling so frsutrated using the iPad Pro, you should have a laundry list of things - let's discuss that.

Now you’re reading into things that aren’t there. I never said I was frustrated. It’s simple, the software doesn’t match the capabilities that Apple claims. And iOS just doesn’t work for iPad anymore. At least not in its current form. If it’s so good for gaming, then give me the games and the ability to play them without touch controls. If it’s so good at processing, then give me more than a few apps that use it, more than specialized apps for specific companies and purposes. The UI needs a major overhaul for sure. And to be perfectly clear, I’m not asking for much more than you are. I just want the software to match the hardware and reported claims.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
Now you’re reading into things that aren’t there. I never said I was frustrated. It’s simple, the software doesn’t match the capabilities that Apple claims. And iOS just doesn’t work for iPad anymore. At least not in its current form. If it’s so good for gaming, then give me the games and the ability to play them without touch controls. If it’s so good at processing, then give me more than a few apps that use it, more than specialized apps for specific companies and purposes. The UI needs a major overhaul for sure. And to be perfectly clear, I’m not asking for much more than you are. I just want the software to match the hardware and reported claims.

Err...no I am not reading into things. You are stating few things like needing more apps, so I want to know what apps are you looking forward that doesn't satisfy your current needs?

Wanting something vs. needing something is completely different. For example: when Files app came out it was dumb. Now with integrations into other cloud storage helps my workflow a lot.

So, yeah, instead of going around circles and vaguely describing "I want more", let's talk use cases and have a better discussion around what people are missing or frustrated about in their current workflows. That could help us gauge feedback around why iOS is too weak or that workflows are simply different on a mobile OS.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Err...no I am not reading into things. You are stating few things like needing more apps, so I want to know what apps are you looking forward that doesn't satisfy your current needs?

Wanting something vs. needing something is completely different. For example: when Files app came out it was dumb. Now with integrations into other cloud storage helps my workflow a lot.

So, yeah, instead of going around circles and vaguely describing "I want more", let's talk use cases and have a better discussion around what people are missing or frustrated about in their current workflows. That could help us gauge feedback around why iOS is too weak or that workflows are simply different on a mobile OS.

SMH.
How more precise can he be at this point. I understood perfectly what he wants and meant and said in this thread.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
SMH.
How more precise can he be at this point. I understood perfectly what he wants and meant and said in this thread.
Sorry. I am asking for more information of the needs than say "iOS has to be more and needs better file management". What's wrong with that?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Sorry. I am asking for more information of the needs than say "iOS has to be more and needs better file management". What's wrong with that?

If you read back all his replies in this thread you’ll have a pretty clear picture of what exactly he wants and expects from ‘iPadOS’.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2