Is iOS too weak of an OS to be used on an iPad Pro in 2018?

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
It might not be a pro device for you, but it is to many many others.

Biggest issue I’m seeing, is those who expect to use an iPad Pro exactly like their current “computer”...and can’t so clearly it must be the device or the iOS. I’ve see plenty of “power users” over the years who have big egos and nothing more. Just saying, not meant for anyone in particular í ½í¸‡

The specs speak for themselves, it’s absolutely a pro device.

Nope, don’t want to use my iPad like a full desktop or laptop.

I don’t need full Photoshop, AutoCad, or SolidWorks.

I prefer simpler photo editing. I don’t take pictures for a livening, nor do I do layout work.

It would be nice for a little more evolution with Office, and file management.

iPad is a 1,000 horsepower street engine, but it is installed in a Yugo. It needs a proper chassis to use that horsepower, other than a few stupid games.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
What you stated is fine for an iPad, but if you're going to call it an iPad Pro then I would expect it to allow me to do a good deal more than what I can do on a typical iPad.

Depends a lot on who and how the device is targeted. You can do exactly the same things in a MacBook Air and a MacBook Pro. The “pro” moniker mostly refers to more power and hardware than what software can do or not in Apple. For example: Both the Air and Pro will run and allow you to edit and publish 4K videos. A pro would help you ease with that task while the Air would take its own time, longer and might even feel sluggish when working on it.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
By just simple comparison to the Surface Pro (I have the SP 3) - No way, my iPad Pro is a much better device and does everything I need it to, extremely well. Yes, there’s room for improvement in the OS and I’m confident it will evolve, but I’d never want it to be like the Surface or any other laptop for that matter.

If anything, I’d rather see the MacBook Air evolve into something like the Surface.

The iPad is in that middle category like Steve originally presented.

I don’t see it that way. Then ipad is just a giant sized iphone with a few more apps. I would like to see ipad mature into its own OS that is indeed a middle ground between iOS and macOS, but currently it’s just a giant sized iphone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Depends a lot on who and how the device is targeted. You can do exactly the same things in a MacBook Air and a MacBook Pro. The “pro” moniker mostly refers to more power and hardware than what software can do or not in Apple. For example: Both the Air and Pro will run and allow you to edit and publish 4K videos. A pro would help you ease with that task while the Air would take its own time, longer and might even feel sluggish when working on it.

Believe me, I get all of that. Apple’s vision for the iPad Pro is different than what I expect of it at this time. Nothing more. The MacBook Air and MacBook Pro will remain my go-to power devices for the near future.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I don’t see it that way. Then ipad is just a giant sized iphone with a few more apps. I would like to see ipad mature into its own OS that is indeed a middle ground between iOS and macOS, but currently it’s just a giant sized iphone.

I get what you're saying and agree it needs to mature more but it's not just a giant iPhone. It's made for creativity and can do things (especially the Pro) that an iPhone simply cannot do.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I get what you're saying and agree it needs to mature more but it's not just a giant iPhone. It's made for creativity and can do things (especially the Pro) that an iPhone simply cannot do.

I disagree with that too. The iphone can do everything the ipad can. It’s just separated by screen size and accessory compatibility. The ipad gets different apps due to it’s screen size. I get that, but those same apps can run on iphone. The ipad and phone run the same OS with the same processors. Apple and the developers are the only reason there is any separation.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I disagree with that too. The iphone can do everything the ipad can. It’s just separated by screen size and accessory compatibility. The ipad gets different apps due to it’s screen size. I get that, but those same apps can run on iphone. The ipad and phone run the same OS with the same processors. Apple and the developers are the only reason there is any separation.

It's a tablet, that's what tablets were designed for. It's not a computer. Being able to use the Apple pencil to draw. Being able to open 2 apps at the same time. Attaching a keyboard so it's easier to type. Size is a key component of a tablet.
I'm not sure having a different OS for the ipad would be a good idea. It's compatability to the phone makes it easy to use and develop for but its use is different. I know some people don't like them but it is my go to device most of the time. Use it way more than my iPhone. Call it what you like.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site

I respectfully disagree that iPad is just a giant iPhone :)

May be when iPad was released the first time, that could have been true but not anymore. There are lots of apps catering for the iPad Pro use case and software capabilities and docking capabilities that are cumbersome and not applicable to perform in an iPhone.

- Even in general cases like note taking, photo editing etc., a bigger screen such as iPad shows your more details than on a XS Max screen. I see that difference every day with my Max and 1st gen iPad Pro.

- Sketching is just so intuitive with my Apple Pencil and iPad than say using my fingers with the iPhone ProCreate app.

- Editing Photos in iPad gives more clear picture and I can use various capabilities to its full use with editors like Pixelmator and Snapseed.

- I can easily multitask while writing or taking notes which I can’t do with my iPhone.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

May be when iPad was released the first time, that could have been true but not anymore. There are lots of apps catering for the iPad Pro use case and software capabilities and docking capabilities that are cumbersome and not applicable to perform in an iPhone.

- Even in general cases like note taking, photo editing etc., a bigger screen such as iPad shows your more details than on a XS Max screen. I see that difference every day with my Max and 1st gen iPad Pro.

- Sketching is just so intuitive with my Apple Pencil and iPad than say using my fingers with the iPhone ProCreate app.

- Editing Photos in iPad gives more clear picture and I can use various capabilities to its full use with editors like Pixelmator and Snapseed.

- I can easily multitask while writing or taking notes which I can’t do with my iPhone.

Again, you’re emphasizing the intentional separation by developers and the difference in screen size that makes those tings easier. You’re also ignoring that the iphone with the same software and chipsets is capable of handling. So I’m done with this discussion until that point can be understood. When it is understood then you’ll understand why ipad needs its own OS.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

And they are all based on iOS. Which also runs on iPhones.
That’s what the people before me are referring to, and that’s what they want to change for the better by iPads having their own dedicated OS.

I just don’t understand why you think iOS on iPad is good as it is and doesn’t deserve any furtherance in usability than it already provides.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No doubt about it.

I do not expect it to be a MacBook, but I do expect it to at least have the typical file structure so I’m able to save and download files to the device and use the local storage in the same manner as on a MacBook.

Can’t you do that with the Files app?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Again, you’re emphasizing the intentional separation by developers and the difference in screen size that makes those tings easier. You’re also ignoring that the iphone with the same software and chipsets is capable of handling. So I’m done with this discussion until that point can be understood. When it is understood then you’ll understand why ipad needs its own OS.

It's a difference of opinion in the perception of what we want the iPad to be. The ipad does not need to be a computer or laptop (for me), I have a MacBook pro for that. Therefore, it does not need it's own OS. (My opinion)
It's OK to disagree on perceptions and nothing needs to be "understood" because they are legitimate differences of opinion and I understand fully what you would like. No need to get upset.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
And they are all based on iOS. Which also runs on iPhones.
That’s what the people before me are referring to, and that’s what they want to change for the better by iPads having their own dedicated OS.

I just don’t understand why you think iOS on iPad is good as it is and doesn’t deserve any furtherance in usability than it already provides.

For me the iPad (a tablet) provides a middle ground between a phone and computer. My phone is the ultimate mobile device and I wouldn't expect it to be a full fledged computer to do serious work on. My MacBook pro is a serious computer and I wouldn't expect to carry it around 24/7 to SE as a phone. My iPad fills the middle ground; semi mobile, can do what the phone does but can also draw easily, surf the internet much more easily, type on with a keyboard more easily, etc. I use it more than the other 2 combined and, for me, that works perfectly.
Do I understand where some people want it to be more powerful? Sure! I would be perfectly OK with that as long as it doesn't loose it's fluid connection with my iPhone. I don't want another OS to learn. If the current OS can add some more "power" or functionality to the iPad, go for it. Otherwise I'm perfectly content with the way Apple has it now.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It's a difference of opinion in the perception of what we want the iPad to be. The ipad does not need to be a computer or laptop (for me), I have a MacBook pro for that. Therefore, it does not need it's own OS. (My opinion)
It's OK to disagree on perceptions and nothing needs to be "understood" because they are legitimate differences of opinion and I understand fully what you would like. No need to get upset.

Where’s this Macbook assumption? It doesn’t need to be a Macbook, but it can and should be more than iOS.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Where’s this Macbook assumption? It doesn’t need to be a Macbook, but it can and should be more than iOS.

I apologize if you already discussed it earlier, but what specific things do you want it to do that it can't now? (IPad)
I bring up the MacBook because, currently, if I want more power I grab that and easily take it where I want.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I apologize if you already discussed it earlier, but what specific things do you want it to do that it can't now? (IPad)
I bring up the MacBook because, currently, if I want more power I grab that and easily take it where I want.

One of ten biggest things it needs is a refreshed UI. More than a lightning port would be nice too. Actually being able to plug in say a flash drive would be great. As I stated earlier, something between iOS and macOS.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
One of ten biggest things it needs is a refreshed UI. More than a lightning port would be nice too. Actually being able to plug in say a flash drive would be great. As I stated earlier, something between iOS and macOS.

Got ya.
I know they make specific flash drives (lightning port) for ipads that can be used for moving files. I use iCloud so it's not a problem for me. I can work on a Pages file, for instance, right from my iPad. I can see where there could be instances where a flash drive might come in handy though.
As far as the OS, I don't know what to say. A refresh would be nice, I guess, but doesn't stop me from using my iPad pro. I hear some people complain that ios needs an upgrade too. We all have our own needs and wants.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
Needing a refreshed UI vs. completely a new one that is basically a Mac OS with touch is probably not where Apple is headed.

IMHO, expecting iPad to behave and do things like a computer in the same manner is not Apple’s intention and don’t see it changing anytime soon. iOS will improve but will not evolve to be a stripped down Mac OS for the iPad.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Needing a refreshed UI vs. completely a new one that is basically a Mac OS with touch is probably not where Apple is headed.

IMHO, expecting iPad to behave and do things like a computer in the same manner is not Apple’s intention and don’t see it changing anytime soon. iOS will improve but will not evolve to be a stripped down Mac OS for the iPad.

I don’t care what OS it runs. iOS just needs a little more evolution.

It’s has a microprocessor. A pretty powerful one. It adds and subtracts just like its desktop brethren. Do I enjoy the simplicity of iOS ? You bet I do. I just need it to do a little more.

The other issue I now have is pricing. It’s now double the cost of a decent laptop and about 25% more than a respectable one. For something that some people claim is not a “computer” it sure the hell is priced like one. I guess Apple wants you to buy both an iPad and a MacBook.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73