Advice wanted: 64GB or 256GB

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Even though this is more expensive than I was hoping, I am going to buy it. Here is my question:

My current iPad Pro 9.7 has 128GBs of storage and I have 111GBs free! I’m not sure how I’m using so little. I have 22,000 photos. But I keep as few apps installed as possible. I have Ulysses for my writing, Wordpress for my blog, Photofox for my photo editing, SimpleNote, and some apps that I’ll be deleting in April: Pages, PDF Expert.

It seems obvious that I only need the 64GB, but I wanted other opinions.

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you have 22,000 photos/videos (I assume) then you must be on iCloud Photo Library which means that all your photos and videos aren't entirely downloaded through the settings in iCloud and instead optimize storage. If you're happy with that setting then 64GB sounds more than sufficient. Just remember if you ever decide to go to settings>iCloud>Photos and select "download and keep originals" you'll most likely not have enough space on your device.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for such a thought-provoking response. I do have 256GBs on my iPhone so I can always store the photos there. I’ve also moved my most important phots to iCloud Drive folders, since that’s separate from the Photo Library.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Over the years, I have learned that skimping in the beginning to try to save a few bucks often times ends up costing me more money down the road. Ive had this happen with computers, cars, tires, household appliances etc. I try to look at what my needs might be in a year or two and plan for that. If I can't afford that now, then I wait until I can. That way I know I am going to have what I need and don't have to deal with selling what I have and upgrading, or something not working for me and causing me pain and unnecessary effort.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I know :( That’s why I got the 128GB last time and this iPad is a lot more expensive, so I have to think hard how much of a compromise I’m willing to make. With the keyboard case and AppleCare, I’m already at $1,200 :crying:
Food for thought.....if you are already at $1200, would a MacBook possibly be a better investment for your use case?

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Over the years, I have learned that skimping in the beginning to try to save a few bucks often times ends up costing me more money down the road.

This is my dilemma. It’s what I believed last time and it turned out not to be necessary but somewhere inside I know you’re right.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I've always said buy what you can afford. If you can afford 256 gig, then get it.

However, I also have 200 gig iCloud storage that almost everything is on so it 256 really going to matter? That is, unless you download all your iTunes movies to it.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've always said buy what you can afford. If you can afford 256 gig, then get it.

However, I also have 200 gig iCloud storage that almost everything is on so it 256 really going to matter? That is, unless you download all your iTunes movies to it.

iCloud is really how I have so little stored on my iPad.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If you don't mind the extra cost get the 256gb device just so you have some leeway. Who knows what will happen in a year. You might want to store a bunch of movies etc. However if money is a concern then you will be fine with the 64gb. Besides, I am sure you could sell it later on down the road if you need to get one with more storage.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
This is my dilemma. It’s what I believed last time and it turned out not to be necessary but somewhere inside I know you’re right.

Another thing to consider is app sizes are not getting any smaller. Developers are packing more into their apps to take advantage of that extra horsepower and screen. So storage isn't going as far as it used to.

From everything you have said here, I think you'd probably be fine with the 64GB. My personal choice is that I never like to limit myself like that, just in case. I always go with a size larger than I think I need and I usually end up growing into it. If you are making a conscience effort to keep storage at a minimum, it probably won't be an issue for you.

I actually purchased a 512GB iPad Pro this year. Overkill? Probably. But I plan on traveling more for work next year and I want to be lazy and not have to swap out content for each trip. I can download most of what I own and have the majority of my library of movies and music available locally. So could I get by with a 256GB iPad? Absolutely... but I am willing to pay for the convenience of not having to manage storage.

Last edited:

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you don't mind the extra cost get the 256gb device just so you have some leeway. Who knows what will happen in a year. You might want to store a bunch of movies etc. However if money is a concern then you will be fine with the 64gb. Besides, I am sure you could sell it later on down the road if you need to get one with more storage.

When I ran up the total in the shopping bag, I was a little shocked how expensive it was at 256GB, the keyboard and AppleCare :eek: I remember buying the original iPad because of Pages and Numbers and thinking it was a good trade-off on a laptop. I’m really leaning toward cutting corners and getting the 64GB.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Another thing to consider is app sizes are not getting any smaller. Developers are packing more into their apps to take advantage of that extra horsepower and screen.

That is such a good point.

From everything you have said here, I think you'd probably be fine with the 64GB.

I think that’s what I’m going to do. I don’t watch movies. It’s really just my photos, my writing and the Kindle app. Thank you so much for your great advice!

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I was also worried about the same issue. However I have the 32gb first gen pro. I was able to get by with that so I’m thinking that I’ll save the money and go with the 64gb. I have cloud storage from both one drive and iCloud. The only thing I would really need the storage for is for photos. But with cloud storage it pretty much helps alleviate that issue.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73