Never owned an iPad, need advice please.

dieselman412

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
Well I’ve never owned an iPad. I’ve narrowed it down to the pro version, I don’t know which size to get or which “year” generation. Let me know if I should buy now or wait till September and see what the Apple special event brings us. If I don’t get the latest and greatest this fall then I will be buying refurbished from Apple store to cut cost down. I plan to get something bigger then 64gb though.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hard to say at this point. Apple typically doesn’t announce new iPads in September. I think we’ll be seeing something in the next few months though, either in March or at WWDC in June.
As far as what model to go for, get the most you can afford.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Apple’s last iPad announcement was in late March of 2017... so you might not have much longer to wait! As for what model, like Rob said, get the most you can afford! If you live near an Apple Store, go and spend time checking them out!

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Apple’s last iPad announcement was in late March of 2017... so you might not have much longer to wait! As for what model, lime Rob said, get the most you can afford! If you live near an Apple Store, go and spend time checking them out!

That is actually incorrect. Apple last announced the latest Pro lineup at WWDC last June.

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I’ve never owned an iPad. I’ve narrowed it down to the pro version, I don’t know which size to get or which “year” generation. Let me know if I should buy now or wait till September and see what the Apple special event brings us. If I don’t get the latest and greatest this fall then I will be buying refurbished from Apple store to cut cost down. I plan to get something bigger then 64gb though.

What iPad is best for you depends on what you want to use it for.
If you could list what you intend to use it for it would allow to give you the best advice.

This should allow to define which size is best and which is the « oldest » model that would fit your need and budget. Obviously, the newer it is, the more improvements it has.

As mentioned by others, test in a store what model would fit your need and budget.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
That is actually incorrect. Apple last announced the latest Pro lineup at WWDC last June.

I was actually referring to the iPad 2017 that was announced on March 21, 2017. Here is a [URL="https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/03/new-9-7-inch-ipad-features-stunning-retina-display-and-incredible-performance/#mn_p]link to that press release[/URL].

Apple then announced their latest iPad Pro 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch models in [URL="https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/06/ipad-pro-10-5-and-12-9-inch-models-introduces-worlds-most-advanced-display-breakthrough-performance/#mn_p]this press release on June 5, 2017[/URL].

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I was actually referring to the iPad 2017 that was announced on March 21, 2017. Here is a [URL="https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/03/new-9-7-inch-ipad-features-stunning-retina-display-and-incredible-performance/#mn_p]link to that press release[/URL].

Apple then announced their latest iPad Pro 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch models in [URL="https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/06/ipad-pro-10-5-and-12-9-inch-models-introduces-worlds-most-advanced-display-breakthrough-performance/#mn_p]this press release on June 5, 2017[/URL].

No need to link me. I know the dates. But the OP said they narrowed it down to the Pro. So with that said, you mentioned the iPads were “last” announced March 2017 which was incorrect and had nothing to do with the Pro.

dieselman412

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
I won’t be using it for professional use, mainly researching, browsing forums, watching YouTube and movies. My main concern is I want something that will last me 3-4 years as far as storage and future iOS updates without slowing down too much.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I won’t be using it for professional use, mainly researching, browsing forums, watching YouTube and movies. My main concern is I want something that will last me 3-4 years as far as storage and future iOS updates without slowing down too much.

With your use case 3-4 years of use isn’t a terribly difficult thing to do with any of the current Pro models. Even last year’s models will likely be still getting iOS support during that timeframe. So it’s likely going to boil down to capacity and display size.
Display size is a matter of personal preference. Keep in mind the 12.9” is basically notebook size so it’s not quite as portable. I travel with mine though without any issues.
Capacity...If you’re going to be downloading movies and other digital content onto your device I wouldn’t go with any less than 128 GB. If you can afford more then get more.

dieselman412

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
With your use case 3-4 years of use isn’t a terribly difficult thing to do with any of the current Pro models. Even last year’s models will likely be still getting iOS support during that timeframe. So it’s likely going to boil down to capacity and display size.
Display size is a matter of personal preference. Keep in mind the 12.9” is basically notebook size so it’s not quite as portable. I travel with mine though without any issues.
Capacity...If you’re going to be downloading movies and other digital content onto your device I wouldn’t go with any less than 128 GB. If you can afford more then get more.

That’s what I was thinking minimum 128gb that’s what my 7 plus is and still have 80gb free and I also have 200gb iCloud. I just want to make sure when all my devices sync to each other I don’t run out of room on the iPad because I’d like to use handoff and all that good stuff. Now even if I get last years model out of the box will it still feel really fast as in like a new one since I’ll be buying refurb from Apple?

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

In terms of comparison between first and second genertation the difference is about 30%, considering the newer processors in the newer models.

If you feel the first generation Pro models being a fast machine or not, is a subjective factor and depends on what you expect or what you are used to. So all depends on what you compare it to.

As regards the long term usage, I typically use the iPads for 3 additional iOS updates from the moment on that the model was launched and then stop upgrading iOS - so far this has worked fine for me. You could ongo updating the iOS but might see the performance decreasing.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Should be fine. I have a 1st gen 12.9” Pro and it still packs a punch.

Same here. Mine is still chugging along just fine. No performance issues. I’m not a gamer so for my day to day use cases, the first gen will probably still last me another year or two.

dougdraws

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I went with the 12.9 model because it’s main use will be to show pictures to my mom whose in the nursing home. I showed it to her yesterday and she ‘ooohed’ and ‘awwed’ at the pictures on this huge screen. It was worth it :)

muzzy996

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
Personally I believe in future proofing within one's means solooking at the pricing of the refurbished 2015 WiFi only models of the 12.9 and knowing that 2017 refurbs are also being sold gives me pause. I'm thinking that depreciating the $130 or so more one would pay for a refurbished 2017 model vs a refurbished 2015 model over 2 years is worth the investment for prolonging support.

For me iOS 11 was a game changer in productivity and usefulness of the iPad Pros so in deciding for myself what I'd pick up I kind of went through the same line of thinking (just purchased my 2017 model last month). What kept me looking at the newer model was the thought that perhaps a couple of versions from now there will be another big jump in functionality/feature set that would require the newer architecture. Also because I knew I wanted the multitasking functionality of iOS 11 I wanted to make sure I got the better performing chipset for it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner