Has anyone had an issue where their Apple Smart Keyboard won’t connect?

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone had an issue where their Apple Smart Keyboard won’t connect? I picked one up from Best Buy for my 12.9” Pro 2 and it intermittently disconnects and won’t reconnect without a restart, and even then sometimes doesn’t reconnect. I’ve checked the contacts and they are both clean and I’m running the latest iOS 11. Is there a way this keyboard could be faulty? It’s really making it difficult to use.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Apple smart keyboard won’t connect

Sounds like you have a faulty keyboard. Make a Genius Bar appointment and hope that the problem can be reproduced in front of them so they can replace it

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like you have a faulty keyboard. Make a Genius Bar appointment and hope that the problem can be reproduced in front of them so they can replace it

Agreed. The Apple Smart Keyboard connects immediately to my iPad Pro.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

It should connect immediately. As others have mentioned, I think you’ll need to visit the Apple Store and get it replaced.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to see if I can just exchange it at Best Buy and if not I will take it to the Apple Store.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

I have had it happen every now and then. Usually closing all open apps seems to get it working again. It doesn’t happen often, I experienced the same with my 12.9 I would say 95% of the time it works fine.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Sometimes it stopped working too. Disconnecting it and reconnecting it seemed to solved the issue for me most of the time.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

There’s a known issue with the keyboards not working when connected to guest WiFi networks. Is that when you see the issue?

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

There’s a known issue with the keyboards not working when connected to guest WiFi networks. Is that when you see the issue?

No, it happens whether I’m on WiFi at home or away, on WiFi or with WiFi turned off.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Now I’m thinking its my iPad. Apple gave me a new keyboard and since bringing it home it has started doing the exact same thing. This is either a software issue or a hardware issue with the iPad. Whatever it is, its not the keyboard and it sucks.

rsgoldens

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem and it did end up being my iPad. I got a different iPad and the keyboard works flawlessly with it. Sorry.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Now I’m thinking its my iPad. Apple gave me a new keyboard and since bringing it home it has started doing the exact same thing. This is either a software issue or a hardware issue with the iPad. Whatever it is, its not the keyboard and it sucks.

I’m sorry to hear this. Have you thought of bringing the iPad over to the Apple Store? You might be able to get it replaced.

jonothon77

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
This probably sounds crazy, but I have to do this every week at a workstation at school.

USB direct doesn’t connect to my laptop, but using a USB extension works every time.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Did it work fine on iOS 10 and then suddenly have issues with iOS 11? If so, it is the known issue I’m referring to. I’ve got several co-workers with the same issue. Apple has replaced my keyboard twice. I’ve reset my device and set up as new. Nothing works. People are reporting it in Apple forums as well.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
This is actually a new iPad Pro. My previous one (iPad Pro 1) didn’t have this issue with iOS 11. I sold both the keyboard and iPad Pro 1 and purchased everything new and that’s when the problems started. I’m going to attempt to exchange my iPad and see what happens. I’ll report back.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
So I’m convinced this is an issue with garbage iOS 11. I say garbage because it has been a bug ridden mess since it launched. I set up a genius appointment and they provided me with a new iPad after repeatedly showing them this issue. Upon getting home with it and setting the iPad up as new, the exact same issues are happening. Incredibly disappointing. It’s amazing to me that for all of the great products that Apple churns out, iOS 11 has been the absolute worst piece of software they have ever released. What a shame, because I love the portability of the Smart Keyboard and the feeling of the keys. Too bad.

rsgoldens

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
So I’m convinced this is an issue with garbage iOS 11. I say garbage because it has been a bug ridden mess since it launched. I set up a genius appointment and they provided me with a new iPad after repeatedly showing them this issue. Upon getting home with it and setting the iPad up as new, the exact same issues are happening. Incredibly disappointing. It’s amazing to me that for all of the great products that Apple churns out, iOS 11 has been the absolute worst piece of software they have ever released. What a shame, because I love the portability of the Smart Keyboard and the feeling of the keys. Too bad.

I had this problem prior to 11. I also found it as a major complaint on the Apple Support Website as well. Not saying that 11 didn't make it more widespread, just that I had the problem last spring.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I think it’s iOS 11 as well. My issues started happening as soon as I went to 11 and had persisted since. They’ve replaced my keyboard twice and I’ve wiped my iPad and set up as new with no success. If you search apple’s forums you will see a lot of reports of issues. My co-workers have the same issue. Not sure why they haven’t addressed it yet. 11 has been nothing but headaches.