ipad pro 12.9 or 10.5?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I think this is honestly based on your personal preference. Both devices have a screen size that would be helpful for any of the tasks you listed. It's basically which size YOU prefer for those options. You won't go wrong with either choice. The 10.5 may have the advantage simply because it will be easier to hold than the larger one.

bluej3

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I think this is honestly based on your personal preference. Both devices have a screen size that would be helpful for any of the tasks you listed. It's basically which size YOU prefer for those options. You won't go wrong with either choice. The 10.5 may have the advantage simply because it will be easier to hold than the larger one.

I would say the same

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Which ipad pro is best for reading books,magazines,newspapers,pdfs and note taking?

The screen on each device will be quite nice, but it may boil down to which will be more suitable than the other. Will you be more comfortable holding a 10.5” in iPad Pro or a 12.9” iPad Pro for reading purposes? Personally, I prefer an e-ink device because it doesn’t tend to fatigue my eyes like reading on a color screen does. Know what I mean?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
It comes down to what feels comfortable to you when you are using the device. I find the 10.5" to be the perfect size. I currently own the 12.9" and it is a beauty but it's not as portable due to its size.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten to my 12.9". At first i thought it was too big but I'm really appreciating the bigger screen real estate. I never got used to the plus sized iPhones, but am loving the bigger iPad.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I've gotten to my 12.9". At first i thought it was too big but I'm really appreciating the bigger screen real estate. I never got used to the plus sized iPhones, but am loving the bigger iPad.

Hmm.. that's very interesting.
I still find the 12.9" to be rather big but the screen real estate is worth it if you are multitasking. It's like having two iPad!

annek

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I have both, the 12.9 is at home that I use for everything. My 10.5 stays at work for note taking and such. I found the 12.9 to be too bulky to cart back and forth.

Bruins_CCH_4

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Totally. I love split screen on the 12.9".

I'm on the verge of upgrading my iPad Air 2 - possibly this week after ios11 lands on Tuesday. I've been debating this all summer and right now I'm leaning towards the new 12.9 because it will have the best multi tasking experience of all. I'm also excited about the larger screen being a more novel experience along with the new features. Just trying to convince myself that it's worth sacrificing some portability. I would likely lean on my iPhone 7 more as a result. But the way I see it is the bigger iPad brings some new functionality that I'm not getting on the Air 2.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the verge of upgrading my iPad Air 2 - possibly this week after ios11 lands on Tuesday. I've been debating this all summer and right now I'm leaning towards the new 12.9 because it will have the best multi tasking experience of all. I'm also excited about the larger screen being a more novel experience along with the new features. Just trying to convince myself that it's worth sacrificing some portability. I would likely lean on my iPhone 7 more as a result. But the way I see it is the bigger iPad brings some new functionality that I'm not getting on the Air 2.

Multitasking is definitely better on the 12.9”.
It’s like having two screens that’s 9.7” for each app.
If you’re looking for portability and ease of use, I’d recommend the 10.5”.

The 12.9” is a little too big IMO.
I’ve used it for almost two years, and I would love a 10.5”.

Bruins_CCH_4

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Multitasking is definitely better on the 12.9”.
It’s like having two screens that’s 9.7” for each app.
If you’re looking for portability and ease of use, I’d recommend the 10.5”.

The 12.9” is a little too big IMO.
I’ve used it for almost two years, and I would love a 10.5”.

Thanks for your input. When did you come to the realization that the 12.9 is too big for your use case? Two years is a long time with a device you're not happy with. If the smaller Pro remained at 9.7 would you still want it over the 12.9?

I'm considering doing a two week trial before deciding.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your input. When did you come to the realization that the 12.9 is too big for your use case? Two years is a long time with a device you're not happy with. If the smaller Pro remained at 9.7 would you still want it over the 12.9?

I'm considering doing a two week trial before deciding.

It took me 6-12 months to realise that it’s a tad too big. I used to have an iPad Air back in the day, so I used to enjoy the 9.7” display, but if I had to choose one, I’d go with the 12.9” as compared to 9.7”.

I don’t mind the display, it’s just that the size of it makes it feel more like a laptop as compared to a tablet that’s light and portable.

A two week trial sounds good!

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I have both 10.5" and 12.9" gen 2 iPad Pros. I had an Air 2 but sold it once I got the Pros.

One thing not mentioned here is that the 12.9" sounds much better. Louder and just better overall. Not that the 10.5" is bad, it still sounds very good. Just the bigger one sounds much better. Music and video is very important to me, so sound quality matters. Also, you get a full size keyboard on the big iPad Pro, with a standard keyboard layout. Plus the split screen/multitasking features are better. Just a better overall experience.

The bigger one is still quite light, and very portable. It is not at all like carrying around a 13" laptop. Given the relatively small price difference ($150) I would always go for the bigger one. But having both is nice too.

I also have a mini 4. It has surprisingly good sound for its size, and is an all around great device, considering its size/weight. But nothing has the "wow" factor of the giant iPad Pro.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I just swapped from 10.5 to Gen 2 12.9, it’s a way better iPad for my uses, my wife has the 10.5.
For video,browsing,news it’s much better. For novels I use a Kindle. When I travel for work it’s in a car so I am not carrying it around all day, if I go out for a day the IPX covers my uses anyway.
I can’t see myself going down in size. The X with 12.9 iPad and my 27” 5K iMac is my best setup yet.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I just swapped from 10.5 to Gen 2 12.9, it’s a way better iPad for my uses, my wife has the 10.5.
For video,browsing,news it’s much better. For novels I use a Kindle. When I travel for work it’s in a car so I am not carrying it around all day, if I go out for a day the IPX covers my uses anyway.
I can’t see myself going down in size. The X with 12.9 iPad and my 27” 5K iMac is my best setup yet.

All you need now is an Apple Watch

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2