10.5" iPad Pro and iPhone 7 combo

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I am having a hard time deciding wether or not to get the new iPad Pro. I have an iPhone 7 (not the 7 Plus) right now. The first and only iPad I've ever owned was the Air 1st generation until I gave it to my dad last year to replace his iPad 2. I have been without an iPad since February 2016. I deleted the iCloud backup of the iPad Air so the backup this time would be from my iPhone 7 so a lot of things would not transfer over easily.

I will be able to upgrade my iPhone 7 anytime after next month or the month after. If I do I will either get the 7 Plus or the 7s Plus/7s/8 or Edition. If I get the iPad Pro then I won't be allowed to upgrade my iPhone until next year in August or September.

For those of you who have the 10.5" Pro and iPhone 7 (not the 7 Plus), do you use both equally or one more than the other? I would use the iPad for media consumption, web browsing, and taking light notes for class.

CamoBlaze

Aug 1, 2017
Visit site
I use my IPP 10.5 far more often than my phone 6s. I use it more for texting and everything else. The only thing I use my phone more for, is calling.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the 10.5 or the 7. I have the 12.9 and the 7 Plus. And when I'm home, for media consumption, I use my iPad far more than my phone. I probably use my iPad for way more when I've got it handy than I use my iPhone for. If I'm just doing something quick like shooting off a text, checking an email or a quick web search, I'll use my iPhone. But if I'm doing anything for any extended period of time, I'm going to use my iPad over my iPhone.

Hopefully that helps.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I have a iPhone 7 with air pods and the iPad 10.5 which are all perfect for me, i also have a home office with a 27" 5k iMac so all bases are covered. I will never buy a plus size phone again unless its a bigger screen in a 7 size body.
I use all 3 in my office, the iPad gets more use at night/weekends around the house and i take it on trips.
The 7 is my business phone so gets used a lot for calls, and is perfect size in the pocket when i walk my dogs 6 k's in a hour most days.
Have also replaced pen and paper in my office with the pencil, no keyboard yet.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the advice. I have decided to upgrade my phone as usual instead of getting the iPad.

If you have a 7 i would get the iPad for uses you mentioned, bigger screen and you have the pencil for notes, the new iPhone won't do anything much that your 7 can do now, get another year out of it.
The iPad 10.5 will last you for years to come.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a iPhone 7 with air pods and the iPad 10.5 which are all perfect for me, i also have a home office with a 27" 5k iMac so all bases are covered. I will never buy a plus size phone again unless its a bigger screen in a 7 size body.
I use all 3 in my office, the iPad gets more use at night/weekends around the house and i take it on trips.
The 7 is my business phone so gets used a lot for calls, and is perfect size in the pocket when i walk my dogs 6 k's in a hour most days.
Have also replaced pen and paper in my office with the pencil, no keyboard yet.

I would use the phone more than the iPad.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
If you have a 7 i would get the iPad for uses you mentioned, bigger screen and you have the pencil for notes, the new iPhone won't do anything much that your 7 can do now, get another year out of it.
The iPad 10.5 will last you for years to come.

The 7 Plus would fit my needs more than the iPad. If I wait until after September then I'll get the 7s, 7s Plus, or Edition.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I use my iPhone way more than my 12.9" iPP. The iPhone goes everywhere with me and is my daily driver, it is a mini computer. And I find it to be more important than my iPad.

You won't regret getting the Plus, it's a beast.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Gave my son the plus and picked up the S8 plus but still have my iPad pro and Macbook. I like both eco systems plus the S8 plus is a beautiful device bigger screen in a smaller footprint. Work just as good if not better than the 7 plus did.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Gave my son the plus and picked up the S8 plus but still have my iPad pro and Macbook. I like both eco systems plus the S8 plus is a beautiful device bigger screen in a smaller footprint. Work just as good if not better than the 7 plus did.

I love both OS but at the end of the day I always go back to iOS.

The S8+ on the other hand is a gorgeous device!

NeilWhitear

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
When I purchased my 7 Plus I was of the view I could almost do away with my iPad given the excellent quality and large screen coupled with high specs; and to a degree I can manage with just my 7 Plus but without not in the most enjoyable way.

Since purchasing my 10.5 Pro, I hardly use my 7 Plus except if I am out and about without my bag etc, its now mainly used for listening to music and audio books and calls.

My 10.5 Pro meets all my needs, work, email, games, texting, media all in a package that is easy to hold and use with considerably noticeable extra screen over the 9.7 iPad's.

I cannot imaging not having my 10.5 Pro and how it brings my whole tech life into a single device, so much so that I've stopped using my MacBook and so everything through my iPad.

I hope this helps with your decision, good luck.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
When I purchased my 7 Plus I was of the view I could almost do away with my iPad given the excellent quality and large screen coupled with high specs; and to a degree I can manage with just my 7 Plus but without not in the most enjoyable way.

Since purchasing my 10.5 Pro, I hardly use my 7 Plus except if I am out and about without my bag etc, its now mainly used for listening to music and audio books and calls.

My 10.5 Pro meets all my needs, work, email, games, texting, media all in a package that is easy to hold and use with considerably noticeable extra screen over the 9.7 iPad's.

I cannot imaging not having my 10.5 Pro and how it brings my whole tech life into a single device, so much so that I've stopped using my MacBook and so everything through my iPad.

I hope this helps with your decision, good luck.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
The 10.5” iPP is a fantastic device and complements the iPhone very well.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The 10.5 is a great size iPad for me kinda like having the iPhone without the phone part. I use android for my phone so I have the best of both worlds.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

Had the 7 plus, 1st gen 12.9" iPad Pro and a 15" rMBP late 2013 model. I was using all 3 off them. Recently sold the iPad and the 15" and bought the 2017 15" MacBook Pro. So now I've got the 7 plus and the new MacBook Pro. I'm finding uses for the both of them. Not looking for iPhone 8 mostly because of no money for it. iPad wise if I buy another one I'm waiting for next year for the possible OLED screens. Right now I have no use for an iPad.