Tethering or cellular with iPad Pro 10.5

wbcolon

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I just purchased a wifi version of the IPP and I was wondering who has had an LTE version that opted to tether with a wifi version instead? I'm not sure if I should have purchased the LTE version instead.
5d1048bf0303fca7d7d4d59b7db743cd.jpg

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the LTE version myself. Not that I hate teething it just takes 10 more seconds to connect and disconnects when in idle.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I have the LTE 10.5 pro with cellular. It’s only way to go. Having to auto connect with tethering all the time is a pain in the arse.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. I just my second iPad Pro (returned 12.9 2gen for the size). Went with the 10.5 256 wifi mostly for priced. Figured I'd just have to up my plan and just tether instead of upping my plan AND paying the $10 add on with AT&T.

wbcolon

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. I just my second iPad Pro (returned 12.9 2gen for the size). Went with the 10.5 256 wifi mostly for priced. Figured I'd just have to up my plan and just tether instead of upping my plan AND paying the $10 add on with AT&T.

I'm actually on my way now to exchange it for the cellular version. Makes more sense to have it and not need it all the time. It kept me up all night tossing and turning lol. It's only 10 a month on AT&T anyway.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually on my way now to exchange it for the cellular version. Makes more sense to have it and not need it all the time. It kept me up all night tossing and turning lol. It's only 10 a month on AT&T anyway.

Yeah but I'm on a 4gb mobile share plan so I'd eat that up. I'd have to upgrade and it'll cost me additional. At my old job it use the wifi all the time but at my new job not so much. Wifi is not all that great. Figured I'd just upgrade my plan and tether

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the Wi-Fi + Cellular model iPad Pro 9.7” model and I’m glad I did. There are times when I have my iPad and there’s no Wi-if access. It’s nice to be able to get on the ‘net during those times. Do I need the Cellular model? No. Is paying extra for the cellular model worth it to me? Heck yeah!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm typing this on my new cellular version iPad now. No regrets at all. So happy I made the switch.

Awesome. It’s the only way to go. Unless you never took your iPad away from the house. And it sounds like you take it out. Great choice. You won’t regret cellular.

wbcolon

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Awesome. It’s the only way to go. Unless you never took your iPad away from the house. And it sounds like you take it out. Great choice. You won’t regret cellular.

It's such a great feeling after popping in the SIM card and seeing the LTE at the top corner. Also coming from such an older iPad, the screen is so brilliant. I'm like a kid at Christmas right now.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It's such a great feeling after popping in the SIM card and seeing the LTE at the top corner. Also coming from such an older iPad, the screen is so brilliant. I'm like a kid at Christmas right now.

It is. And after I had a cellular iPad before, I tried a wifi the next time because of tethering. It was a bad idea. Never again will I do that.

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Questions for the LTE users: how good is the auto-switching from Wi-Fi to cellular data? I'm on Wi-Fi about 80% of the time, but if I purchased the LTE version, I'd hate it if I had to babysit the connection all the time, and I'd hate to use my data up when I could be on Wi-Fi. Thanks in advance!

wbcolon

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I ended up purchasing the LTE version and it's amazing. The cellular connection is as good if not better than my iPhone 7 plus.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I would never buy a wifi iPad for me, No GPS for maps and tethering is a pain. We have data share sims here in Australia and share data with all iphones/ipads on same account, so no need for extra plans.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
To me, it depends on how many devices you have and your usage. I have way too many things to have them all with cellular. It would cost too much.

I have a 6s plus iPhone. I still have a couple of Windows phones. I have 3 iPads - a Mini 4, and both Pros. I have a Samsung S2 Android tablet. The 10.5" iPad actually is the cellular model, but it has no SIM card (ditto for the S2).

On the rare occasions when I am somewhere with no wifi, I just use my work-issued Android phone (Samsung S7 Edge) as the hotspot for whatever other devices I am carrying that day. It works fine, and the company pays the data bill, so it is Win-Win.

CamoBlaze

Aug 1, 2017
Visit site
I just purchased a wifi version of the IPP and I was wondering who has had an LTE version that opted to tether with a wifi version instead? I'm not sure if I should have purchased the LTE version instead. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170715/5d1048bf0303fca7d7d4d59b7db743cd.jpg

I got the wifi. My logic was as follows:
• I probably shouldn’t spend money on one in the first place (never mind the 256gig version with the pencil and Smart Keyboard)
• I can easily connect via Bluetooth in about 3 seconds

Therefore, I’m going to save my money. I don’t regret my decision at all.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR