Would downsizing from a 12.9” iPad Pro to the 10.5” version be considered a downgrade?

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I have the first generation 12.9" iPad Pro. Would downsizing to the 10.5" be a downgrade? I could wait for the 12.9" ones to come into the stores, but I'm wondering about the size difference on the new ones. I also have a late 2013 15" rMBP that's not seeing much use these days.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That depends on what “you” consider a downgrade. Will you be downgrading the size of the display? Yes. Will you be downgrading the specs? No.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I could get the 10.5" and try it out. BUT. If any kind of scratch gets on it then it's mine. This is one thing I don't like about trying things out if you don't intend to keep them. If anything goes wrong then your stuck with it.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I personally don't see it as a downgrade. It's basically just a smaller variant of the same product. 😃 Both of the newer models are definitely upgrades, especially in the display and camera departments.

Apparently (haven't tested) that new high refresh rate display is really awesome.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Depends on your use cases. I personally wouldn't go down in size but there are def days I wish I had a smaller device that's just easier to carry around.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Personally, I bought both of the new iPad Pros.

If I had a 1st gen 12.9", the only true upgrade would be a 2nd gen 12.9". A 10.5" Pro would be a size "downgrade", but a definite upgrade in every other respect. A compromise.

OTOH, the 12.9" screen is just too nice to pass up. The 2.4" screen difference is huge. That and the astonishing sound quality makes for a truly great experience.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I bought both of the new iPad Pros.

If I had a 1st gen 12.9", the only true upgrade would be a 2nd gen 12.9". A 10.5" Pro would be a size "downgrade", but a definite upgrade in every other respect. A compromise.

OTOH, the 12.9" screen is just too nice to pass up. The 2.4" screen difference is huge. That and the astonishing sound quality makes for a truly great experience.

So you would recommend the upgrade from 1st gen to 2nd gen 12.9" model? Im thinking no for this round.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I have both a Gen 1 12.9” and the 10.5”

My recommendation is to never try the 12.9”, because for me at least having experienced the magic of the larger screen realestate, going back to a 9.7” or 10.5” does feel quite limiting.

I would have a massive amount of trouble justifying an upgrade from my Gen 1 12.9”, the only reasons would be a) if I had some real need for the extra power b) if I needed the improved screen re-fresh/promotion due to artistic requirements. I have neither, to I’ll be happy with my Gen 1, however I seem to end up with the 10.5” more often because it really is a tablet, where the 12.9” really isn’t.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol I just upgraded from the 10.5 to the 2nd Gen 12.9. I had the first gen 12.9, sold it and went to the 10.5. A trade to good to pass up came along and I traded my 10.5 for the 12.9. Really did miss having the larger real estate to work with.

Only downside OP is it is heavier to lug around.

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
So much depends on what you do with your iPad. I moved from an iPad Air to the 2nd Gen 12.9" Pro, and for me the larger size is crucial because I work on mine daily, and having two full-size apps on the screen is key to some of my workflows. On the other hand, I find that when I open Kindle to read a book I'm not more likely to pull out my 7 Plus, as holding the 12.9 in one hand is awkward (doable, I have large hands, but not ideal). When the 10.5 was announced I definitely felt the allure of the thin bezels and smaller size, but I could never do much of my work as enjoyably on the smaller screen.

chartier

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I think it would help to define what “downgrade” means to you. Also, Finer Things in Tech is my blog, so thanks for the link @italodance!

One way I considered moving to the new 10-inch an upgrade is that it’s much easier to find accessories for this iPad size. Of the few keyboards I could try, they all made the total package weigh nearly three pounds, sometimes more. That’s heavier than my 12-inch MacBook, which for me, sort of defeated the purpose.

For a few of my workflows, it’s a slight downgrade because of the loss of screen space. A few apps revert to their iPhone designs when in half-screen Split View. But I don’t mind it much, and I’m adapting.

On the other hand, since I fly and take the train decently often, I find the 10-inch size an upgrade because the 12-inch was usually hard to use on those little tray tables, or simply on my lap on most flights.

Those are just anecdotes, but I hope they help you consider some of the situations you use your iPad in and weigh what really matters to you.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
It depends... I find it as an upgrade, I love the size of the 10.5".
Over time I feel that the 12.9" is a tad too big.
The 10.5" hits the sweet spot and you get better specs as well as a better display :)

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up the 10.5 tonight replacing my 12.9 on AT&T. Love the new size much better than I thought also much faster then my old pro.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2