Split View multitasking on iPad Pro 10.5" not working

kevinyank

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
I'm hoping someone can check something for me just so I know I'm not going insane.

I just upgraded from an iPad Air to an iPad Pro 10.5". On the iPad Air, Split View multitasking was not supported, but I could open third party apps that did support it in the Slide Over panel.

After restoring my iPad Air backup to my iPad Pro 10.5", only Apple’s built-in apps (Safari, Videos, Clock, etc.) appear in the Slide Over panel. None of my 3rd party apps (Tweetbot, YouTube, etc.) do.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is anyone who has restored a backup from a previous generation device seeing third party apps in Slide Over and Split View?

Possibly relevant, my iPad Air backup was taken on iOS 10.3.3 beta 2, and my iPad Pro 10.5" is running iOS 10.3.3 beta 3. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a beta OS bug.

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm running a non-beta version of iOS 10.3.2. I backed up from my iPad mini 4 to my new Pro 10.5 and Split view and Slide over are both working with 3rd party apps. I think you're right, It sounds like a possible beta bug.

Nodnerb

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm running a non-beta version of iOS 10.3.2. I backed up from my iPad mini 4 to my new Pro 10.5 and Split view and Slide over are both working with 3rd party apps. I think you're right, It sounds like a possible beta bug.

Working for me too. Also replaced a mini 4. I almost find the size of the screen disorienting after using the mini for 2 years. Might also be because I spent most of the night with my eyes glued to it though. :D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping someone can check something for me just so I know I'm not going insane.

I just upgraded from an iPad Air to an iPad Pro 10.5". On the iPad Air, Split View multitasking was not supported, but I could open third party apps that did support it in the Slide Over panel.

After restoring my iPad Air backup to my iPad Pro 10.5", only Apple’s built-in apps (Safari, Videos, Clock, etc.) appear in the Slide Over panel. None of my 3rd party apps (Tweetbot, YouTube, etc.) do.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is anyone who has restored a backup from a previous generation device seeing third party apps in Slide Over and Split View?

Possibly relevant, my iPad Air backup was taken on iOS 10.3.3 beta 2, and my iPad Pro 10.5" is running iOS 10.3.3 beta 3. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a beta OS bug.
I’m currently on my 9.7” iPad Pro running iOS 11 Dev Beta 1, and I’m experiencing the same thing. I’m going to assume it’s a bug associated with iOS 11, but I will keep testing it out periodically throughout the day to see if things change.

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I did the same software move you did on the 10.5 and now on 10.3.3 beta 3. Seeing the same bug you do. Only some of Apple apps can be selected in Split View. (For an exemple, Pages is not showing up but Music is. No third-party) Sounds like a beta bug. Maybe because of the new size, it needs a separate beta version? Will keep an eye on it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Of course, after posting my above reply, I’m able to get the Slack app in split view....smh

atownguy

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
Thank you! I thought something was desperately wrong with my iPad (I've asked this exact same question on Reddit and no one responded), I'm having the same issue. My backup on my old iPad was 10.3.3 beta 3, once I got my initial setup finished on my new 10.5 inch iPad I immediately downloaded the same beta on that and restored the backup from the old one.

Only Apple apps show up in the slide over panel and if I'm in a 3rd party app it won't let me do split view with anything, it'll just let me bring up an Apple app via slide over. I even tried deleting all the content and setting from my iPad to start again and still having the same problem. Glad to hear I'm not the only one having this problem! Now that I know you are seeing the same thing I think we could safely assume it's a problem with the beta, I also submitted this problem through the feedback app so hopefully it's gets fixed in the next beta.

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I was also relieved to see I wasn't the only one with that bug! :) Thanks for sending the feedback to Apple too, the more reports they received, the more chances we have that they fix it!

kevinyank

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
Good to hear from others with the same issue.

For what it's worth, after reporting the bug to Apple, I upgraded to iOS 11 beta and multitasking is working fine for all apps now. The beta is definitely flakier than I'd prefer, but given the choice between flaky OS with multitasking or stable OS with no multitasking, I know which I'm sticking with! :)

WhiteyGoodfellow

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Same, relieved to see that I'm not the only one after searching for several days to see if anyone else had the same issue. My iPad Air on 10.3.3 worked fine with the 3rd party apps showing in split view. But 10.3.3 isn't showing them on the iPad Pro 10.5"

Rick Baumhauer

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
This doesn't appear to be a restore issue - I ran into it on a 10.5 with everything installed fresh. I signed up for public betas (because I want iOS 11 ASAP, but I'm not a developer), and got tired of it reminding me to install 10.3.3 beta 3, so I finally gave in and installed it. Big mistake - ran into the same issue as described here: nothing but Apple apps in the switcher, no split-screen with non-Apple apps. So now I'm basically stuck without multitasking until Apple fixes this, or I can sign up for a dev account and deal with the flakiness and battery drain. D'oh!

bugjack

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site

I'm running 10.3.3 on a new iPad 10.5" and have the same problem.

Drew Grgich

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
So glad I finally found this - - had the sense to search for "iPad 10.3.3 split view". I'll add my voice to those of us in this niche problem who are shocked it is actually an issue. Went to public beta of iOS 11 for that sweet multi-tasking, hated the "jank" of it, and was forced to come back to 10.3.3 versus 10.3.2 for whatever reason. Serves me right for joining a public beta and not backing up my virgin 10.3.2 install. Just hate that I'm on a less capable iPad for a few months it seems. I'm going to seek out a way to get back to 10.3.2.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox