Is it worth upgrading to an 12.9” iPad Pro 2 from the older model?

inopethflames

Jun 7, 2017
Visit site
is it worth upgrading to the newest ipad 2 pro 12.9 inch version from my current 9.7 inch ipad md514ll/a which is almost 5 years old at this point.

i use it probably 3 hours a day, or more, but just to use the internet/youtube/crunchyroll before bed and play a couple games like hay day. so i use it a lot but not for any kind of advanced use, and ive never had a single problem with my current ipad.

is it worth spending about $1050 for the new ipad + case, minus a couple hundred for reselling my current one. it seems like the only major benefit is the increased size but im trying to convince myself i should just get a new one now, since i dont think they really drop in retail price ever, and maybe the next new one wont come out for another 2 years. thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Worth Upgrading to Ipad Pro 2 12.9" from Older?

For what you’ve described, the answer is no, in my opinion.

italodance

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

Each time somebody asks a question like this it drives me crazy cause i really want/need a 512 GB one. My 256 GB is too low. :crying:

inopethflames

Jun 7, 2017
Visit site

its not about the storage size for me, i would probably be fine with the 64 gb version but id probably go with the 256 just to be on the safe side, i guess, its more just about primarily the larger size and then just generally how the performance and whatever other areas have improved over the past 5 years. since its something i use 1-3 hours every single day, even if its not for a professional capacity, thats a lot of usage on something, so im figuring after 5 years its worth upgrading.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Hey,

I am entirely biased as I simply love mine, but based on the question that you have specified as it is, this is how I would approach it:

1. Will I be using the device as my main device for creative work/media consumption (pick your favourite)?

2. Do I anticipate delegating some of my tasks to the iPad from my Mac/other devices?

3. Have I secured the $$$$ for the purchase without jeopardizing my other expenses (let's not kid ourselves, we've all done it in the past, because of the lure factor)

The list could go on and could be made into something even more boring than it already is; I think that you ought to ask yourself whether you see the need for the features. If it's just the mere upgrade/having the latest & greatest, I would personally skip it. However, if you feel that the fancy new screen is going to offer so much more because you want to have the finest quality, etc. then, sure, why not! Be honest with yourself and decide whether it's "I feel like having one because it's new", or you can actually find a good reason for it, even if it's just #1 above. Think about #2 , as that big screen will let you use some of the finest productivity apps the world has seen - this is exactly why I moved to iOS entirely.

I'm having one and I do have the 1st gen. iPP 12.9", in case you were wondering.

I hope this helps a little; take care!

Mickeylittle

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

I ordered a 256Gb with 4G last night and will eBay my Surface Book because I believe the iPad to be a much better mobile device than the SB. I know it will not handle some Excel projects that I do (Pivot Tables) nearly as well as the SB but I can use a 15.6 inch laptop for that.

Most all of the rest of my tasks can easily be accomplished on the new iPad Pro.

jayk82

Trusted Member
Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

I'm going to stick with my 1st gen 12.9 Pro (256GB LTE) for now, but that new 10.5" has my interest...

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Congrats, mate!

Cannot wait to order mine; I'll probably wait a bit for the update to Apple's Reuse & Recycling to trade in mine gen. 1;

Make sure to share your impressions once you've got, please & thank you!

Take care.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site

is it worth upgrading to the newest ipad 2 pro 12.9 inch version from my current 9.7 inch ipad md514ll/a which is almost 5 years old at this point.

i use it probably 3 hours a day, or more, but just to use the internet/youtube/crunchyroll before bed and play a couple games like hay day. so i use it a lot but not for any kind of advanced use, and ive never had a single problem with my current ipad.

is it worth spending about $1050 for the new ipad + case, minus a couple hundred for reselling my current one. it seems like the only major benefit is the increased size but im trying to convince myself i should just get a new one now, since i dont think they really drop in retail price ever, and maybe the next new one wont come out for another 2 years. thanks.

It absolutely is worth upgrading to the pro from your device for many reasons. What i think you have to assess is wether or not the pro is overkill for your specific needs. I upgraded to the 9.7 pro this year from my 5 year old ipad and the difference was HUGE. I have now pre-ordered the 12.9 pro primarily for the larger screen. Had I had a 12.9 already I would not have made the change.

If you aren't interested in the larger displays it may not be a bad idea to check out the IPad 2017 model. It gives you the upgrade in hardware which are night and day compared to the 5 year old model and comes at a lower cost if that is any factor into your decision.

Mickeylittle

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

Sure will. It's due to ship between 6/22 and 6/29 since I waited a few days before pulling the trigger.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

I absolutely love my iPad Pro (LTE) and will certainly be upgrading, for me the faster processor and double the capacity is going to be great.

I'm gifting my current iPad Pro to a budding graphics design student.

DINGSTER1

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Im currently tossing about a refurbished 9.7 vs. the new 10.5 to replace my just sold iPad3... not sure im going to need the newest Peo features...

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

I absolutely love my iPad Pro (LTE) and will certainly be upgrading, for me the faster processor and double the capacity is going to be great.

I'm gifting my current iPad Pro to a budding graphics design student.

I am with you on this, Brutha!

I hope you've been lots of fun with yours as much as I have with mine Planning to get gen. 2 around iOS 11 release this autumn.

Cheers!

Last edited:

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

For the use cases you've described, I don't think it's worth the upgrade.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

I've had the 1st gen for about 6 months now. I don't think I need the upgrade but I might anyway. I'll have to go At&t next in order to get it. Just have to think about the storage. 64 I think is too low and 512 might be to high. If I can't get 256 might have to go with 512.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Worth Upgrading to Ipad Pro 2 12.9" from Older?

My two cents: If your old iPad is showing its age and you can swing the cash, go for it. I have a 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9” and absolutely love it. My poor MacBook Pro doesn’t see much love these days because my iPad is so much fun to use and I love the large screen.

italodance

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

Guys i did it finally, Sold my first generaionm and bought new one as well as The lighting to USB3 camera adapter today, cause somehow i feel we will see Flash Drive sticks support in future updates of iOS 11.
I usually would like to restore new devices via iTunes as first thing to do with.
Restoring from back up is next.

So glad to upgrade from 256 to 512 GB, I suppose no need to concern about removing things to get free space anymore.

But 512 GB is low too and almost took 280 GB of storage by now.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

Wow. Hope your having fun with it. I'm looking at next week when Best Buy is supposed to get them.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

...and Apple has just update the trade-in website (Canada).

Looks that I'l be ordering mine a tad sooner, woot woot!

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

Everyday I look at Best Buy's app they keep pushing back the date when they'll have the new 12.9" in stock. Are they ever going to get them?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh