With What We Know...Anyone Planning On Updating Their iPad 9.7" to 10.5"

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
This question is oriented towards those (Like myself) who currently have the iPad Pro 9.7", not the 12.9" With what we know, anyone already planning on upgrading to the 10.5"?
If yes, why?...If no, why not?

I'm on the fence you could say. I'd like a larger screen, but wouldn't buy the 12.9", that's just too big for me. I use MS Office a lot on my current iPad, but if I jump to the 10.5", I'd probably have to get an Office 365 subscription & I really don't want to have to pay for that. Plus, iOS 11 will work on the 9.7" just fine. I know there's more to the upgrade than the screen size.

So anyways...Please share your thoughts on this. I'm sure lots of others would like to hear your thoughts.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Definitely on the fence. For sure I don't really have the extra money to spare, plus I AM satisfied with my 9.7, BUT the 10.5 intrigues me!

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Well for $200 more here you can get a 3.2" bigger screen v .8", not sure if .8" is worth updating from my 9.7 pro.
Not seeing anything that special about the 10.5. change over for me to sell my 9.7 4g 32gb to a 10.5 65gb 4g with leather cover is $758AUD ouch.

jimpilot

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I am upgrading from Air 2 to 10.5. I also have a 12.9 but it is just too big. My biggest issue is the lack of the traditional case from Apple. No word why they disappeared

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My current 9.7” iPad Pro is sufficient for my needs and is still a beast. Having said that, I will not be upgrading to the new iPad Pro models.

mpshah

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the fence too, but I'm thinking of getting the 12.9 this time over the 10.5. Somehow I feel the 10.5 isn't that much of an upgrade over the 9.7 in terms of screen real estate.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Probably going to skip this generation but I'd get a 10.5 if I did.

I have a 9.7 Pro with Logitech Create keyboard case. It's my main device these days and lives permanently in the Logitech case so the first thing is I wouldn't buy a new one until there's a Create case for it; I think the Logitech case has many advantages over the Apple keyboard case. Secondly the 9.7 Pro is a really good machine and won't become a bad machine by the presence of newer models; the newer models don't really offer me a new feature that I feel I must have.

The one thing that could sway me is the chance to fix a bad decision. When I bought the 9.7 I had no idea that I'd use it so much. I bought the wifi model and regret that now. I find the tethering to my iPhone to be temperamental (bug fixes neeeded here Apple because some days it connects and others you have randomly turn bluetooth and wifi on and off on the devices and say a little prayer). I'll definitely go cellular next time but not sure I can justify the expense this time around.

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
It's done ! I order it to replace my iPad Pro 9.7. Because I always get the new iPad since the first ! Yes I'm a Nerd and never had problem to sell my old iPad.
But you know it cost me the same price of my iPad Pro wifi 128G
But the iPad Pro 10.5 wifi is 256GB !!!
So it's kind of a bonus !
Expected it at June 13th for the moment... hope it's stay to that date !

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
This question is oriented towards those (Like myself) who currently have the iPad Pro 9.7", not the 12.9" With what we know, anyone already planning on upgrading to the 10.5"?
If yes, why?...If no, why not?

I'm on the fence you could say. I'd like a larger screen, but wouldn't buy the 12.9", that's just too big for me. I use MS Office a lot on my current iPad, but if I jump to the 10.5", I'd probably have to get an Office 365 subscription & I really don't want to have to pay for that. Plus, iOS 11 will work on the 9.7" just fine. I know there's more to the upgrade than the screen size.

So anyways...Please share your thoughts on this. I'm sure lots of others would like to hear your thoughts.

Maybe you could elaborate on this point? How is the Microsoft experience different between the two? I'm not sure I understand.

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Simply MS offers Office for free for the 9.7" model. Most likely the 10.5" you will be required to get an Office 365 subscription. If I used Office in a more advanced way, then I might be willing to pay for it. I use Word regularly.

Screen size determines the cost of the app.

Anyway, Office is just only one of the things I would think of, including screen size, etc.

Last edited:

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Simply MS offers Office for free for the 9.7" model. Most likely the 10.5" you will be required to get an Office 365 subscription. If I used Office in a more advanced way, then I might be willing to it for it.

Screen size determines the cost of the app.

Anyway, Office is just only one of the things I would think of, including screen size, etc.
I was just checking out Microsoft Word in the iOS App Store and the description states that the iPad Pro requires an a Office 365 subscription while iPad Air or mini does not. It's not explicit as to whether the older 9.7" Pro is free but someone here must know from experience.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I was just checking out Microsoft Word in the iOS App Store and the description states that the iPad Pro requires an a Office 365 subscription while iPad Air or mini does not. It's not explicit as to whether the older 9.7" Pro is free but someone here must know from experience.

All of the Microsoft apps require an Office 365 account to get the full version of the apps to my knowledge.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
All of the Microsoft apps require an Office 365 account to get the full version of the apps to my knowledge.
That's correct. You still can't save to OneDrive and so forth in the mobile Word app without a sub, even if it's free to create and edit with it. From the MS Word mobile app website:

'View, edit, and create documents with the familiar Office interface optimized for mobile phones and tablets. Core editing is free for consumers on devices with screen sizes smaller than 10.1"'

Devices larger than 10.1" can only view Word documents with the app. No creation or editing without an Office 365 subscription.

jayk82

Trusted Member
Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm wanting to get the 10.5", I use my Mac more and more even though I got my 256gb 12.9" to replace it. 10.5" seems perfect to me.

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I can save to One Drive, Box, etc on my free office account. There are some things you can't do. For instance, I can't change the document orientation - when I'm creating a new document...If I had a subscription I could change that easily...Which I rarely need to do anyway.

I do not have a subscription and I use it almost daily. I use it on my iPad Pro 9.7" and my iPhone 6s +

But my question was really about if people were planning on going to the iPad Pro 10.5. I was just using office as an example, but there are plenty of other reasons that I would consider before purchasing anyways.

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
It really looks like most people won't "upgrade" from the 9.7" to the 10.5". I know if I didn't have one and wanted to get an iPad Pro, I would get the 10.5", but my 9.7" works sooooo good right now❗️And iOS 11 looks very promising for the current pros too❗

chrisbean08

Jun 12, 2017
Visit site
I'm going to get the 10.5 and sell my 9.7 pro. I use my iPad for reading music on performances, etc. I know the 12.9 is better for that, but it's just too large for everyday use for me. The 9.7 is perfectly fine for reading music, but I had been hoping for something just a tiny bit bigger. This should take care of that.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner