10.5 or 12.9?

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
So I haven't had a new iPad since the OG Air came out and sold it because A) it was getting a bit long in the tooth and B) we had dropped it and when the screen was replaced it seemed a bit less functional. Now I haven't exactly missed it until recently. I have a couple of kids and an iPad would be wonderful for them for educational games, some videos and movie watching and, with the Pencil, some drawing and "coloring" to get their creativity out. My daughter is 2.5 and my son is 8 months so they aren't going to go too crazy with it, yet. Additionally, I would love to have something bigger than my phone for before bed reading and videos which I usually watch as well as some lunch time entertainment when I skip the gym. What do you guys feel is the best size? I love the 4 speakers on the original 12.9 inch Pro, does the 9.7 have that and will the 10.5 have them as well? For those who bought the 12.9 last gen, how is it holding up today? I am leaning more toward the 12.9 just because I want that massive screen but I think 10.5 would be more ideal for my kids use.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, all the iPad Pros have the four speakers. The original iPad Pro 12.9 is missing the TrueTone and ProMotion display that the 10.5, the 9.7 Pro will be missing the ProMotion. Also, the new iPad Pros (10.5 and 12.9) will have the second generation TouchID, the older iPad Pros (9.7" and old 12.9) only have the first generation sensor.

As for the current iPad models (noting that the 9.7" Pro has been discontinued), you can find a [URL="https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/#mn_p]comparison here[/URL].

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I think the 10.5" would be better suited for your needs. Especially if you like watching movies and reading in bed. Not only is the 12.9" quite large to hold but it's also over 200 grams heavier. Light and portable is always the way to go.

With regards to speakers, both the 10.5" and 12.9" has a Four speaker audio system. Hope this helps 😃

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I agree with Matty. I personally just ordered a 12.9", as I intend to work on it quite a lot, and the multi-tasking features being introduced with iOS 11 seem like they'd really shine on the larger canvas. That said, the 10.5" is probably a more kid-friendly size, and Matty is right that the 12.9" is pretty large for reading and holding in bed. If your most common usage involves you holding up the iPad, rather than propping it on a table or using a keyboard, the smaller one may be your best bet.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Ended up going with the 12.9 for the extra real estate for media. Going to get some kind of case that has or can double as a kickstand. Also got a Pencil and Apple Care+ for it since I know I'll keep it for 2 years or more.

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Can anyone confirm the amt of RAM in the 10.5 compared to 12.9? Also is there any difference in clock speed?

I refused to buy the 9.7 inch model because AAPL gave it less RAM and a lower clock speed than the 12.9. I certainly hope they aren't going to do that again.

Nodnerb

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone confirm the amt of RAM in the 10.5 compared to 12.9? Also is there any difference in clock speed?

I refused to buy the 9.7 inch model because AAPL gave it less RAM and a lower clock speed than the 12.9. I certainly hope they aren't going to do that again.

They are both identical other than screen size. Both have 4 gigs of ram and the same clock speeds.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

Spec wise the 10.5 and 12.9 are identical. The only drawback to the 12.9 for me was the fact that unless it was attached to a keyboard it just wasn't usable to me as a tablet. Holding it was uncomfortable and felt awkward because of the size and weight. My thought is that if you are planning on using it as your main laptop/device then the 12.9 is the model to get. If you really want a portable tablet that you can hold and use for more than just a laptop (like holding to read, draw, etc) then the 10.5 is the way to go. I sold my 12.9 for the 10.5 and love the new size and is much more suitable as a tablet on the go in my opinion.

Mrrck

Jun 12, 2017
Visit site
I appreciate this opinion/comment since I was also on the fence about the two sizes. I have heard the same types of comments about the 12.9, nice and large. Now to wait for info on the Apple pencil.

duckduckgoose

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
With all things being equal besides screen size, won't that make the 10.5 much faster? That extra 2.4 inches is a lot of extra pixels to be pushing or am I wrong?

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
While the 12.9 is more pixels than the 10.5, they both have a 12 core GPU. It can certainly handle the higher pixel count.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR