New 12.9" iPad Pro

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Well here it is. Is there a lot of difference between this one and the old one? The only ones I see are the chips inside and the true tone display. Anyone see anything else? Well except for the 512gb storage. I bought the first one in December of last year. I'll have to see if it's time for an upgrade or I keep the old one. One question is are the bezels smaller on the big one like they are on the 10.5" one? Don't know how the title got like that again.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: New 12.9" iPad Pro

That about sums it up, in my opinion, although I'm still playing catch up with all of today's WWDC info.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

That's all I'm aware of as well but I haven't caught up on WWDC happenings yet.

italodance

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

512 GB is a huge win but I'll wait for a 1TB instead next round. I keep removing videos from my 12.9" 256GB everyday and I wish it (512 GB) was released sooner anyway i decide not to upgrade my first generation of iPad Pro and keep dreaming of 1 TB one.
moreover it really is a good feeling Apple accepts iPad Pros as a portable device for watching movies/TV Shows. They even support it in the ads and newsletters:

TopFeature_1480_800_2x_fe.jpeg

Why don't i see the 1 TB ONE this year????@!!!!!!! need to wait another damn year...:cant-watch::huh::broken-heart::no:

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site

I'm not sure if the new one warrants a single-generation update from the 1st Gen. 12.9", but there is more than just the faster processor and True Tone...

The displays on the new models refresh twice as fast, which is impossible to visualize via video (since the video you're watching doesn't refresh fast enough to show it!) but in person it should dramatically increase the fluidity and "realness" of UI interaction, as several early hands-on have suggested. Plus, it allows the lag on the Apple Pencil to be reduced significantly, so if you do a large amount of note taking or drawing that might be worth considering. Apparently the anti-reflective coating on the new iPads also makes the tactile feel of the Pencil on the iPad a bit better. Additionally, the newer model has the (much better) camera from the iPhone 7, the faster 2nd gen. Touch ID, and improved brightness allowing for HDR video (although that's academic at the moment, as there's not yet anyone providing HDR video in a way the iPad can access!).

The bezels, however, are not reduced. I was bummed about that, but with all the other changes I ordered one nevertheless.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm going for the 12.9 512gb. Going full iOS and selling my refurb late '13 rmbp 13 inch. Only thing I wished for was black instead of space gray. Would've been ok with a darker space gray

AlexIT83

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well another thing is that Apple hasn't confirmed yet is the RAM amount on this upgraded iPads Pro the 12.9" first generation have 4gb RAM hope if this new two models have it. I like the 12.9" size it looks so elegant...

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

Well another thing is that Apple hasn't confirmed yet is the RAM amount on this upgraded iPads Pro the 12.9" first generation have 4gb RAM hope if this new two models have it. I like the 12.9" size it looks so elegant...
This has always been something iFixit or other websites had to figure out themselves. Don't know why Apple never states it in their specs when we find out later anyway lol 😃

I'm sure there is 4GB installed. Don't think Apple would drop the ram size on a updated model. The 10.5" model might have 3GB.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I have a 9.7 pro and am thinking of going bigger, is .8" and the ratio that much bigger/better on a iPad, when for $220 more can go all out with the 12.9"?

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I'll be upgrading. I'd rather upgrade my phone with each generation. My iPad Pro will still be just fine for my needs. This doesn't mean I won't change my mind, but for now I'll stick with my original 12" pro.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

After longer hiatus of mine with this Forum, it's good to be back!

I am one of the early adopters of the gen. 1 12.9" iPP (got it in November 2015) and I really welcome the new upgraded specs. Are there ground breaking, in any measure? Not at all. But along the scheduled iOS 11 and its many great things coming, the case of iPP being a solid replacement for laptop has never felt stronger than it is now.

I've grown accustomed to some quirks (especially iOS 9) of the original gen. 1 launch. More often than not, the keyboard firmware would fail causing issues with typing. But with every iteration of the OS it felt that Apple had invested much more into this than just an offshoot large iPad. I am really thrilled to see those massive improvements coming to the platform this autumn. All in all, this is fantastic news.

With respect to the revamped specs, I am compelled to upgrade. The TT display, as well as ProMotion, plus ridiculous amount of processing power, and the upgraded LTE connectivity are more than enough for me. I also like the fact that the storage options have been significantly updated and, as such, position the device in more competitive spot. I've just placed an order Logitech for their new fancy keyboard (backlight illumination is important to me), and should be ready to order around September; LTE 12.9" gen. 2 with 256G, methinks.

Having watched the WWDC keynote I have no doubt that the future is bright; if the final update plays out so well as they've promised, the outcome will take me to the point of selling my backup Mac (have had to use it very rarely, anyway). iOS all the way, as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers & take care.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
New 12.9" iPad Pro

I hear they both have 4gb of ram. The old 12.9" was dual core, this one is supposed to be hexacore, which I think is 6 core. I think now that I might get it and sell my old one. Att next here I come again.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I won't be upgrading this year, maybe next year. But I'm sure I'm going to go for the 10.5" instead of the next gen 12.9"

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I have a 9.7 pro and am thinking of going bigger, is .8" and the ratio that much bigger/better on a iPad, when for $220 more can go all out with the 12.9"?

I got the 9.7 and my wife got the 12.9 and after a few weeks we swapped. She felt the 12.9 was too big and I thought the 9.7 was too small.

We are both very happy now

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I got the 9.7 and my wife got the 12.9 and after a few weeks we swapped. She felt the 12.9 was too big and I thought the 9.7 was too small.

We are both very happy now

Holy batman posts from the past :) I got a 10.5 my wife has my 9.7. both happy!!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

After longer hiatus of mine with this Forum, it's good to be back!

I am one of the early adopters of the gen. 1 12.9" iPP (got it in November 2015) and I really welcome the new upgraded specs. Are there ground breaking, in any measure? Not at all. But along the scheduled iOS 11 and its many great things coming, the case of iPP being a solid replacement for laptop has never felt stronger than it is now.

I've grown accustomed to some quirks (especially iOS 9) of the original gen. 1 launch. More often than not, the keyboard firmware would fail causing issues with typing. But with every iteration of the OS it felt that Apple had invested much more into this than just an offshoot large iPad. I am really thrilled to see those massive improvements coming to the platform this autumn. All in all, this is fantastic news.

With respect to the revamped specs, I am compelled to upgrade. The TT display, as well as ProMotion, plus ridiculous amount of processing power, and the upgraded LTE connectivity are more than enough for me. I also like the fact that the storage options have been significantly updated and, as such, position the device in more competitive spot. I've just placed an order Logitech for their new fancy keyboard (backlight illumination is important to me), and should be ready to order around September; LTE 12.9" gen. 2 with 256G, methinks.

Having watched the WWDC keynote I have no doubt that the future is bright; if the final update plays out so well as they've promised, the outcome will take me to the point of selling my backup Mac (have had to use it very rarely, anyway). iOS all the way, as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers & take care.

I have last yrs 12.9 and I love my Logitech keyboard case. Never have to charge it up. Paired immediately and love the back light keyboard

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Mine is on my VERIZON account . I use it a lot. And I have Mac Pro too. I made the complete switch over to Apple

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2