Should the iPad Pro run a modified version of macOS?

fredfx

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
To me, the biggest problem with iOS is that there is no file system.

Let me clarify.

There is a filesystem on iOS, but it isn't accessible by the user. A simple addition like that - which I think will be announced at WWDC - would make things like research so much easier. It's no surprise that iOS has already been migrated to the new APFS which is soon coming to OSX. I think when the two platforms have a unified filesystem, we'll see a visible file system on iOS. Or at least one that can be turned on by the user.

I realize that having a visible file system opens all kinds of cans of worms. Especially the fact that there isn't a windowing system, or drag and drop in iOS between open applications.

And most of all - and probably most important to Apple - is that iOS remain easy to use for users that don't work at the pro level. Not having a visible file system makes the UI WAY easier for the user. When was the last time you actually thought of an application on iOS as a file rather than just an icon to click on? I don't know about most of you, but my mindset is VERY different when working on a laptop or desktop vs an iOS device.

For those of us who understand why there's a filesystem would welcome a visible file system on iOS.

Decodering

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Apple should develop an operating system just for iPad, a version of iOS that takes true advantage of the larger screen and diverse physical capabilities. I don't see how a modified version of MacOS is the answer, even if I miss it as I only have an iPad (not even a Pro model, although I'd like one) as my primary computer.

The iPad (Pro and non-Pro) hardware is certainly capable of running a more advanced and useful version of iOS. It's really the software limitations that hinder the usefulness of the iPad.

Inov8or

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I fully support and believe that both size Retina Resolution iPads should and more importantly can run a modified version of OSX! I have a Method Patent that defines how touchscreens can be used with preferable the middle and index fingers to serve as a Touchpad to control OSX operation with a cursor. The finger motions largely resemble those of the index and thumb with an Apple Touchpad with two critical additions. A touch of a (preferably) middle finger creates and approximately positions a cursor. This is not possible with a Touchpad or mouse! Selection of what the finger touch has identified is accomplished with one or more rapid and brief index finger touches while the middle finger remains in contact. This replicates Touchpad operation. The other critical difference is that simultaneous removal of both fingers after the last index touch terminates the cursor. This combination duplicates iOS’s one hand motion ‘Look and Touch’ selection capability and enables ‘Look and Touch’ capability for all OSX functionality. ‘Look and Touch’ operation also facilitates access to the increased information density possible with Retina Resolution’s greatly increased legible information capacity for a given size display due to its small text legibility. However Apple’s Patent Acquisition Department only considers patents that meet Apple’s predetermined plans. Does anyone have any suggestions?

DeeAnnCA

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
For those of us who understand why there's a filesystem would welcome a visible file system on iOS.

Yes, I would be in favor of that.

In my household we have an iMac, a custom Mac Pro, a 9.7 iPad Pro, iPhones 6 and 7, an Apply TV, 2 iPods and a Windows laptop.

I am not in favor of an operating “somewhere between” iOS and the macOS. Another variant is not needed given the variations to be dealt with above.

Also, consider the finances. If you have an additional variant, you will need additional people to create and support it. You can’t “just roll it into the macOS organization” as that would detract from the macOS work. Everything has consequences. Apple tends to be a bit pricey anyway, so it doesn’t make sense to add to it without a strong case.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2