Using an iPad Pro as a MAIN computer?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Anyone out there using their iPad Pro as their MAIN computer? (with keyboard attached of course!). Super curious (if you are) to hear how you're getting along.

Personally I'm not sure if I could do it... but that said I've never had a keyboard accessory on any of my iPads either. Maybe it'd be workable!

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am. I haven't really missed having a computer. Once in a while I have to sit at a full computer at work, but almost never. There are enough very good apps, like Word and Excel, Pixelmator, PDF Expert. There are other apps I use frequently. I wouldn't mind paying more for apps since it looks like the developers aren't making enough money.

The limited file system bothers me a little. For example, I'd like to be able to move or export two files at a time.

I need the keyboard to type quickly and for the keyboard shortcuts.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I am, and it has worked out quite well for me. Having said that, I still prefer doing certain things on a MacBook. Give the iPad Pro macOS and it and that preference could change...

Last edited:

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't. I have the 12.9. I use it A LOT. But I don't use it as my main computer. There are still things that I prefer doing on my computer. Specifically in school. Working with multiple applications is much easier on my Macbook. The trackpad allows for easier navigation for me. The file management on my macbook is also something that greatly sets it apart. I love the iPad but it's not quite there yet.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Well, I'm trying. But unfortunately it can't be done as long as iTunes is required for some situations. Such as today: my iPad Pro 9.7 locked up (misbehaving app) and on hard reset got stuck on the Apple logo. Another attempt got the screen to show me attaching a cord to computer plus iTunes for a restore. Which I did, and all seems fine, but without a computer with iTunes installed I'd be SOL. :(

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I'd say I'm 50-50 overall. That being said I'm about 60-40 at work and 40-60 at home. At work I use my iPad for everything that I don't need my laptop for. About the only thing I use my laptop for at work is anything dealing with Active Directory, cloning a hard drive, etc. I also use my iPad at work for designing and implementing pro audio visual projects (video walls, digital signage, interactive touch screen displays).

At home I use my laptop for editing photos in Adobe, and gaming. :)

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I certainly used my iPad Air 2 as my main computer for a time. I regret everyday getting new computers last year.

chefjayhawk

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
My MacBook Air died. I was forced to give it a try. Now 3 months later, not sure i will ever get another computer. For what I use it for and need, my bases are covered. Also been running iOS11 and I am so impressed, and early impressions are great. Just fighting the urge for the 10.5!!!

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I love iOS 11... For productivity, the MacOS-style expose screen and the new dock are wonderful. Pulling down on letters to access the number keys is very nice. I also love that I can pin notes.

I decided a long time ago that I’d never buy another computer and now, with these features, I’m even happier with the iPad.

JNM

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the iPad Pro 9.7 as my main computer for over a year. I have not missed my MacBook Pro for a single minute. Everything I do for work during the day and on my own in the evening is covered by the iPad.

However, I keep the MacBook around because the iPad cannot stand on its own fully. Apple has not yet given it that power. When the iPad fails, and fortunately mine has not yet, we are still expected to connect to a computer with iTunes to try to solve the problem. That is not alright for something that should otherwise be more than sufficient for most people's computing needs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh