Do you leave your iPad Pro 9.7 on 24/7 ?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Or do you shut it down at night or when you aren't using it? :rolleyes:

No, I do not. Having said that. if I know I'm going to be using it good deal that particular day then I'll leave it powered on until I'm done. I don't use my iPad Pro as much as I use my iPhone so therefore there is no need for me to keep it powered on 24/7.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Or do you shut it down at night or when you aren't using it? :rolleyes:

It seems most people just leave it running over night. Mine gets shut down every night or rather, it gets turned off when I'm finished using it. Don't want the battery to go below 15% and possibly cause some damage. Plus that poor processors needs a rest lol.
My Macbook i leave on but i put in in 'Sleep Mode' at night.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Mine is on 24/7, generally there's no reason for it not to be. I don't understand the concept of a day when it won't be used much!!!

That said it's definitely worth the occasional reboot because iOS is good but not flawless. I noticed recently one of my apps was downloading some in-app content really very slowly; at first I assumed it was probably a server issue, but when it persisted I rebooted my iPad and as if by magic got a 10x improvement in download speed.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Both my iPad pros and my 7 plus are left on 24/7. Only my 15" rMBP is shut off when I'm done with it. I think because it's almost 3 years old and the battery almost certainly would drain every time.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
OK, only when I remember I turned off, so let's say every 48 hours, I think no matter what the battery will suffer if it stays on all time and charging also.

G.4

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I never turn my iPad Pro or iPhone 7 Plus off. I do reboot them from time to time when I feel the need arises. Otherwise they just get sat down from time to time and charged as needed. I of course charge my 7 Plus everyday but my iPad Pro, both due to better battery life as well as not being used quite as much, doesn't need to be charged every day. I've been using iPad since the original one and I have never seen a benefit to shutting them down on a daily/nightly basis.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Same as the "do you leave your phone on thread" I reboot my iPads once a week to clear out cruft and cache.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
What is cruft and cache?

I understand what cache means but what is cruft? Now I know what it means. Had to ask Siri to find the meaning.

Last edited:

bigtruck1369

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I leave my Air 2 on all the time and reboot occasionally.

This is an interesting question, I'm curious why you've asked. The idea of shutting down at night is pretty old-school computing.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I never turn mine off. Not unless I feel like it needs a reboot. And that is pretty much never.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Shutting down will kill your device battery. never do that again.

How does shutting down kill the battery? I understand not wanting it shut down for months at a time but I'm not sure shutting it down at night and then turning back on during the day would have the same effect. Just curious; I literally never shut down my devices unless they need a reboot.