iPad Pro 12.9" as Primary Device

CosgroveJP89

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
Does anybody use one of these things as their primary machine? I'm in the market for a new computer and I'm not impressed with the new Macbooks, so I'm thinking about going the iPad Pro route.

I basically sit in front of a computer all day for my job, and about 90% of what I do is in a browser. For the rest, I use iWork apps.

How does the Pro perform in this kind of environment? I've noticed that a few websites I use for work don't work well in Safari on my Mini 4, but I'm wondering if the higher specs of the Pro might solve that issue.

Does anybody else work with this kind of setup?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I do prefer working on a laptop as compared to a tablet.

I use my iPP as a secondary device, and my MBP as my primary device. It's just that the MBP can do so much more.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you'll find https://www.macstories.net/stories/one-year-of-ipad-pro/ interesting.

I use my iPad Pro 9.7" as my primary computer. I only move to a computer for a few tasks at work, like a couple of Excel things I can't do on the iPad.

Like you, I have one website that won't work, my payroll portal at work, but that doesn't work on Safari on a Mac, either, I use iCab Mobile and set it to Chrome to access the payroll portal a couple of times a month.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like muchospanish, my 9.7" iPad Pro functions as my "primary" computer, and in fact, I purchased it to be a replacement for my 2009 model MacBook, and thus far, it's worked out quite well. Like others, there are still things that I prefer to do on a traditional computer, but I can definitely get away with using my iPad Pro for 95%+ of my computing needs.

Xterror

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't currently have either of the Pro's, but have played with my co-workers 9.7", and am looking to get one to replace my 2011 MBP. For work I would def get myself a 12.9", I'm still afraid to pull the trigger after all these deals since the new ones are around the corner.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

If I get rid of my 12.9" one it'll be for the 10" something. I have until about the 24th of January till decide.

G.4

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
As others have mentioned, I have the 9.7" Pro with Apple Pencil as my primary computer (Windows laptop for work, which I despise and therefore only use when absolutely necessary). I mention the Apple Pencil because I believe it's so necessary to getting the most out of this device. And I am not an artist or anything like that. Suffice it to say I love the iPad Pro, but one of the reasons I have been reading this forum is because I feel like I need a bigger display. This has been more of a recent thing than anything, with me realizing with the excellent Workflow app I can literally solve 99% of the problems that previously kept pushing me to a traditional computer. So now I want to use my iPad for everything and the multitasking and other things can feel a little cramped on the 9.7" display.

I agree with muchospanish above on the article by Viticci. That piece was really the extra push I needed to fully embrace this type of computing. It's not that the iPad Pro "can't" do as much as a traditional computer (most of the time), it's that many tasks are accomplished in a different way. But, as Viticci points out many times in the article, if you embrace this different approach and give it a real try, you may find that iOS handles those tasks in a much better way. For me, the fact that it forces me to focus on one or two apps at the most is very helpful. At first I found it constraining, but after a while I realized I was more productive. I also like how the iPad app and phone apps are so similar since I switch between devices a lot. Conclusion: give it a try and be open minded. The article above by Viticci will help you accomplish 99% of what you need to do if you aren't quite sure how.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

I have both iPad pros and a 15" rMBP. Since I bought the smaller pro in March when they were released I used mostly that. When I bought the big pro in December, I've been mostly using that one. The 15" rMBP mostly sits in the drawer.

I have the pencil but I don't hardly use it. If I keep the big pro than I might have to get a mini just for gaming since I don't think a lot of games are going to work on the big pro. But this is just my opinion. If I'm wrong or right you can tell me.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: iPad Pro 12.9" as Primary Device

I have both iPad pros and a 15" rMBP. Since I bought the smaller pro in March when they were released I used mostly that. When I bought the big pro in December, I've been mostly using that one. The 15" rMBP mostly sits in the drawer.

I have the pencil but I don't hardly use it. If I keep the big pro than I might have to get a mini just for gaming since I don't think a lot of games are going to work on the big pro. But this is just my opinion. If I'm wrong or right you can tell me.

Everything that runs on the smaller iPads runs on the 12.9.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Yes you're right, but. Isn't there a space around iPhone apps that are on the big iPad? I don't think that iPhone apps are optimized for the big iPad.

italodance

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Yes you're right, but. Isn't there a space around iPhone apps that are on the big iPad? I don't think that iPhone apps are optimized for the big iPad.

All of them are optimized, What's wrong? i don't see any problem here and never encountered with such an issue.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

I'm not talking about iPad apps. I'm talking about iPhone apps downloaded onto the 12.9" iPad

Update: I downloaded a couple of apps that I didn't think would fit the screen on the big pro. One of them was tiny tower. This app is like the Walmart app, you have to hold it in portrait to use it. I couldn't believe how tiny tower looked on the big screen.

I guess you were right about the optimization for the 12.9" iPad Pro. Sorry that I doubted you. Now I know.

Thanks.

Last edited:

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It's my primary note taking device at work but I don't like using it as a laptop replacement. It's just not there yet for me. I still use my MBP if working all day from home.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I don't have a Mac Pro. I have an HP beats audio laptop and it has the CD driver. I use my laptop when I need to make copies off my printer. I haven't set up my tablet to do it. There are some sites that I have to use my laptop for that won't work well on my tablet, but for the most part I do use the tablet more. I like my HP but using my tablet is more convenient.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I caved and got the Mac Pro 2015. My HP has been hiccuping and lagging and am not a real fan of windows 10. That is my excuse. LOL. I am loving the Mac Pro and can see why it has great reviews. It works and am not having lag or freezing. There is a learning curve coming from PC world but I am enjoying learning it.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Warm Welcome to iMore @CosgroveJP89! :D

I've noticed that a few websites I use for work don't work well in Safari on my Mini 4, but I'm wondering if the higher specs of the Pro might solve that issue.

The iPad Pro 12.9" runs the same OS as the iPad Mini 4. So you only getting a bigger screen. The websites may look better and format better on the bigger screen but you won't be 'Unlocking' any extra features that are not available on the iPad Mini 4. :)

Apple is rumoured to be launching a whole range of new iPads this month so i would DEFINITELY hold off purchasing until the new iPad Pros are released. Will be well worth the wait.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
That is why I also purchased the Mac Pro. I got the 2015 edition. There are sites I need for my job and they aren't compatible with the ipad. I also wanted a laptop and switching to the Apple ecosystem, I wanted everything the same. I am pleased because my HP was laggy and glitchy. I thought it was my Verizon jetpak that I use for my home internet. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was the HP because the Mac Pro is working like a beast. I am really glad I made the switch to Apple.

jeremylittle

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So part of my job is Automotive Photography. I take about 20-40 pictures of each vehicle to post in our dealership's website and classified sites. I do a lot of batch editing in an app called Fotor. So 2 questions...

1. Would I be able to import pictures from my CF Card to the iPad Pro?

2. Is there an app that can batch edit photos for iPad? The feature I use the most is in Fotor's "scenes" there's an "Auto" scene. So no matter if the picture is a little dark or a little bright, it brings it to where it needs to be.

Thank you

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711