iPad Pro not charging

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Here's my latest ordeal -- my original iPad Pro (12.9") was not consistently charging when I plugged in. It would say "not charging" a lot. I tried multiple cables, outlets and charging stations without much success. Usually, if I fiddled with it long enough, it would start charging. But as time passed, it got more and more flakey. To the point where I'd make sure it had the lightning icon showing that it was charging before I went to bed and when I woke up in the morning, the battery level had not changed at all. Brought it to Apple Store twice. First time they flashed the firmware and sent me home. A few weeks later, it started up again and they finally replaced it.

My replacement iPad Pro has been working ok for a few weeks and over the last 3-4 days, it has started the "not charging" business again. Very frustrating. Last night, I, once again, tried multiple cables and it took forever for it to finally start charging.

Is this a known issue? I can't imagine that I got two defective units? It's getting kind of ridiculous.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Here's my latest ordeal -- my original iPad Pro (12.9") was not consistently charging when I plugged in. It would say "not charging" a lot. I tried multiple cables, outlets and charging stations without much success. Usually, if I fiddled with it long enough, it would start charging. But as time passed, it got more and more flakey. To the point where I'd make sure it had the lightning icon showing that it was charging before I went to bed and when I woke up in the morning, the battery level had not changed at all. Brought it to Apple Store twice. First time they flashed the firmware and sent me home. A few weeks later, it started up again and they finally replaced it.

My replacement iPad Pro has been working ok for a few weeks and over the last 3-4 days, it has started the "not charging" business again. Very frustrating. Last night, I, once again, tried multiple cables and it took forever for it to finally start charging.

Is this a known issue? I can't imagine that I got two defective units? It's getting kind of ridiculous.

Wow that sucks... sorry that you're having that issue. Did  exchange the cable or at least offer to exchange it? I have the baby pro and haven't had any issues with mine, but I haven't heard of this issue at all.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Wow that sucks... sorry that you're having that issue. Did  exchange the cable or at least offer to exchange it? I have the baby pro and haven't had any issues with mine, but I haven't heard of this issue at all.

There's nothing wrong with the cables i've used. They work with my iphone, my kids phones and my husband's ipad.

iPad Pro doesn't charge with anything except electricity plug.

I've had this happen even when it's using the wall wart. I've left it in the wall for 2 hours and it didn't even charge up 1%.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the Pro 12.9 and I've had that happen once. Haven't noticed it since then so I thought it was a fluke. Lol

Glad it isn't happening to you still. It's so annoying. I literally spent 10 min trying different things before bed last night to get it to start charging.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a different outlet? This is how i learned my wall outlet was going bad.

Yep. I have. My first iPad Pro had other issues, too, so it got replaced.

I'm now suspecting my charging station. It supposedly has a couple slots made specifically for bigger amp needs. Wondering if those slots are going bad.

Who knows. It charged up last night. We'll see what happens tonight.

italodance

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
There is another viable alternative change your electricity plug or move to 220 Voltage (doubt it because US is 110 V only).

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I bought the USB C Charger and Lightning to USB C Cable from apple and have been trouble free. Also enjoy the fast charging it provides.

readstrans

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
This may sound like a really simple answer, however I really need to ask, are you using the 12W USB Power Adapter while charging? It won't charge well or quickly if you are using the USB power adapter that came with your iPhone.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm sitting at a McDonalds now and charging my 12.9" pro with the 29W charger and USB C to lightning cable. Ive noticed 3% increase in charge from 45% to 48% in about 5 minutes. I'd say this is going to charge it a lot faster than the 12W that came with it. Will update when it hits 100%

Updated: It has now hit 100%. It took about 2 hours and 7 minutes to go from 45 to 100%. Even though I paid $76 altogether at target, I now know it was worth it.

If you compare the cord that came in the box to the USB C cable, you will notice that the USB C cable is a little thicker than the other one. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Knowing if I have problems there are Apple stores to go to. I am really impressed so far with my phone and this tablet. Happy

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Knowing if I have problems there are Apple stores to go to. I am really impressed so far with my phone and this tablet. Happy

Glad to hear it. Yea, I've had good experiences at the Apple Store for the most part. Makes it easier when you have some close by.

tkizz

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Yep. I have. My first iPad Pro had other issues, too, so it got replaced.

I'm now suspecting my charging station. It supposedly has a couple slots made specifically for bigger amp needs. Wondering if those slots are going bad.

Who knows. It charged up last night. We'll see what happens tonight.

I'm having a related, but different issue. My iPad won't charge at all from some usb ports (ones that have an iOS device specific pin configuration), including the standard charger it comes with. It does work from my MacBook pro, and from any "android specific" pin configuration usb ports, as well as using any port if I'm using the Apple camera connection kit with the pass through charging. Obviously not debilitating, but HIGHLY annoying. I've tried everything, the Apple store said my port looks perfectly clean etc. Seems to have started a little while after I got the connection kit....

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a related, but different issue. My iPad won't charge at all from some usb ports (ones that have an iOS device specific pin configuration), including the standard charger it comes with. It does work from my MacBook pro, and from any "android specific" pin configuration usb ports, as well as using any port if I'm using the Apple camera connection kit with the pass through charging. Obviously not debilitating, but HIGHLY annoying. I've tried everything, the Apple store said my port looks perfectly clean etc. Seems to have started a little while after I got the connection kit....

You talking about the USB ports on your computer? If so, your iPad won't charge from there. It needs more juice than the computer provides. You'll need to use the charging brick that comes with it. I mean it will drip charge from a computer but not enough to make a difference.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711