Any regrets buying the 12.9" iPad Pro?

anon(2763304)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Any regrets buying the 12.9? Any dust collectors ?

I work from a home office and when out on errands I need to stay connected. The iPad 4 is always with me, it has LTE cellular so I can take care of emails, faxing documents, etc. from anywhere. I do use the 12.9 Pro away from my home office regularly, but not for short errands.

sallenthornton

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Absolutely zero regrets purchasing the 12'9. It's practically replaced my laptop completely. I wouldn't hesitate buying another if needed.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Absolutely zero regrets purchasing the 12'9. It's practically replaced my laptop completely. I wouldn't hesitate buying another if needed.

Same here! My poor MacBook Pro doesn't get nearly as much love these days.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

No so for me. If I'm doing any "heavy lifting", I always go to my MBP. I am still largely using my iPad Pro for consumption and taking notes.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

I use my iPad Pro more than any other device, more than my iPhone 7 Plus or my MacBook Pro.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I use my iPad Pro more than any other device, more than my iPhone 7 Plus or my MacBook Pro.

It's my second most used device. Nothing beats out my 7 bc it's always with me.

anon(8910885)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site

I like a bigger screen too since it's great for note taking, drawing, which I love to do on the iPad. Considering 12.9 hasn't been updated for a while, I'll wait for the next rumoured 10.5" one! I heard Apple is gonna keep the same size as 9.7 just a thinner bezel and larger screen.

Z_Pound

Jun 3, 2017
Visit site

I absolutely LOVE my iPad Pro 12.9 and will upgrade to the next generation as soon as it is available. As a professional musician, I can't tell you how phenomenal it is to be able to carry all my scores with me and to be able to view them in performance, full-screen (and bright) with page turns controlled by my foot pedal (Page Flip). The Apple Pencil allows me to quickly mark up scores for teaching or for my own edits. And, there are several music notation programs including Notion, MusicJot (and others) making the Pro much more of a pro machine. Auria Pro is a full-fledged multi-track recording studio. Photos look amazing on the device, reading articles with a full-page view is a joy, and of course, the Apple Pencil used for creating artwork is nothing short of "wow!". And split screen on the 12.9 really makes split screen useful. Weight? Feels very light to me. In fact, as my wife has an iPad Air 2, it's surprising that the 12.9 feels just about as light. The difference is barely noticeable. I would recommend the 12.9 to anyone and everyone. I've had the iPad 1, 3, Air, Air2 and now the 12.9. I believe the 12.9 is Apple's best iPad to date. Highly recommended.

picnicmetoo

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site

I use mine for photo editing (Lightroom mobile) and 95% of other things--including business tasks. I have a 15" Macbook Pro but use the 12.9" most of the time--and will upgrade in the future. There are so many pros. Besides using it for immediate photo editing, I use it with an app (Astropad) and Pencil that recreates (even better) my use of a Wacom graphic tablet with my Macbook. I used an Ipad since Ipad 1 and this is the best usage experience of all.

IOS 10 made it even more useful and I look forward to IOS 11 with it.-split screen is extremely useful with the big screen. I really like touch and it doesn't disappoint but I also use it at times with a BT keyboard, especially for docs and spreadsheets. The only con I actually have with it is that i can't access my external HDs that contain photo files from 1999 forward. OH--and no drag and drop app to app--but the upgrade of the Readdle suite of apps with drag and drop gives me hope LOL. I find it much lighter to deal with than my Macbook Pro and being able to use it anywhere (I have cellular) inside or out with no hassle, no keyboard, etc--just open and work or use for entertainment with a big screen is a real plus for me.

Last edited:

samosIM

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I have no regrets at all. I use the iPad Pro (256 GB Option, with Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil) more than my retina MacBook Pro for surfing the web and saving (printing to either iBooks or PDF Expert 6), composing in Pages, and even performing non-complex calculations in Numbers. The screen size is perfect for me, allowing me to use the split screen capability to reference information from other apps (e.g., 1Password, Notes, Safari) as I perform work on another.)

I do take my iPad Pro with me on select occasions to have the capability handy. This is too cumbersome for me on my 15" MacBook Pro.

I have the Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil. I also use the Adonit Dash 2 which works better for certain tasks than the Apple Pencil.

Batavian

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
It's not for me. I think the 9.7 is the perfect size for my needs. However my dad, who does not see so well, loves his 12.9. I think for people with sight issues, the larger iPad is great.

sultquist

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
First, no regrets. I bought it as soon as it was announced, and have used it extensively ever since. I also have an older 2013 MBP and a 2008 Mac Pro in my office. When I travel, the iPad gets 80% of my usage, while at home it's closer to 50/50. It is also not uncommon for me to use them together, with the iPad acting as a useful BIG second screen.

I have older iPads around the house, but still prefer he 12.9"most of the time. If Apple announces a new 10" as rumored, I'll have a decision to make!

When I use an external keyboard, it's a Brydge, which is a great option, but often, like now, I use an Apple Pencil.

Conrad Allwood

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Any regrets buying the 12.9" iPad Pro? None "Productivity Monster'

I'm close on pulling the trigger but what do you think ? Total luxury niche piece ?
Can I justify this ?

I purchased my 12.9 iPad the day they came out. I literately use it daily. It has been an excellent purchase. As a project manager I fully use iCloud along with office 365. For my CAD drawings I use CAD pocket or Auto CAD I also use Note pad and many other apps to accomplish my task. 12.9 IPad is a productivity monster I have a 128g gold 12.9 iPad Pro with keyboard, pencil and UAG case

kingofkats

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any regrets buying the 12.9" iPad Pro? None "Productivity Monster'

My only regret is that my 12.9 iPad Pro has only 128GB of flash memory, which is lots for an iPad but skimpy for a PRO device that I use for my business. I have both sizes and use each for different uses, but the 9.7" has unfair advantages — namely 256GB and better display. Cannot wait for a 12.9 incher with better specs!

timo2000

May 31, 2009
Visit site
No regrets at all. When I come home I put my iPhone down and grab my 12.9" iPad Pro. I absolutely love the the extra real estate it offers over the other iPads.

Chollatech

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site

Been using the IPad Pro since its debut, gave my MacBook Air to my son...It's my daily driver. I use the pencil mostly as a mouse, but Word's default is not 'select' but scribbling, so I always have to switch in the home settings. Battery life, durability and the now very dingy looking Logitech folio keyboard make it perfect for my work, which is writing and research....and the cat finds it a nice morning head rubbing point when its in my lap. Only wish is a outdoor-bright screen, but don't we all want that in gadgets anyway.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Any regrets buying the 12.9" iPad Pro?

I originally purchased the 12.9 inch iPad Pro to DJ a party using edjing Mix. It is the first iPad I’ve ever bought! With the Smart Keyboard, I use it like a laptop. When people ask me what computer or laptop I’m using, I tell them that I use an iPad Pro. I edit photos, surf the web, type out projects in Pages, watch Netflix, compose emails, text and make calls thanks to Continuity, and go through files on my desktop and other apps using the iCloud app. Since it runs iOS, it feels closer to a mobile device, yet with the Smart Keyboard and desktop apps like Pages and the iCloud app to go through the files on my Mac Mini, it feels also like a laptop to get real work done. I really appreciate their way of building a platform that uses aspects of both desktop and mobile, without making a “toaster fridge” of a product. Instead, I get the best of both worlds with a lightweight device and ten-hour battery of an iPad, and Mac-like keyboard shortcuts and split screen on a big screen like a Mac. For my circumstances, I don’t need a Macbook, because I can proudly say that I use iPad Pro.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro