Faulty iPad Pro 12.9", What Now?

NekoMichi

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
A couple of months ago I bought an iPad Pro 12.9" from a retailer (not directly from Apple), today it won't charge and stopped being recognised by my computer. A quick check reveals that one of the pins in the Lighting port appears to have broken off and is missing, and this seems to be the cause of the hardware problems.

Picture1.jpg
Close-up shot of the faulty pin​

It's been less than a year, so the 12 month AppleCare/warranty should still be valid. The iPad has always been used with the official Lightning cable and wall adaptor it shipped with, and I haven't been using it in any way that should violate the warranty terms, though it does say that certain types of wear and tear are not covered. I have my receipt at hand. What would be the best option for me now?

- Go to the store I purchased the iPad from and see if they can do an exchange or refund
- Go to an Apple Store and hope for the best
- Something else (please comment below)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

UPDATE:
I was able to get an intermittent connection with my computer and backed up everything from the device, it has been erased and restored. The wired connection is very unstable, and now when I plug it in the charging icon rapidly flashes on the status bar, while iTunes no longer detects the iPad. There is still plenty of battery left and should be enough to power on the device for diagnostics if I bring it into a store tomorrow.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to see if there's anything they can do. If you purchased Apple Care Plus then use it.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the above, take it to an apple store. One of the great aspects of Apples Warranty is the fact that they warranty the device regardless of whether or not you are the first purchaser or purchase directly from them. Best of luck!

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Let us know how it worked out. Also what color and storage did you buy. Even though it's the beginning of November. I'm thinking about buying the big iPad Pro.

NekoMichi

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Let us know how it worked out. Also what color and storage did you buy. Even though it's the beginning of November. I'm thinking about buying the big iPad Pro.

I have the 12" 32GB Wi-Fi Space Grey model. The larger screen is really useful for multitasking, I find the split-screen feature very handy for checking mail or Safari when watching something on YouTube. My main use for it is as a drawing tablet with the Apple Pencil, and it performs great. The Pencil feels natural and glides across the screen very smoothly, pressure and angle detection work just like a real pencil.

---

So, an update:
They were booked full and I have to wait until next Tuesday for an appointment. I'll post more updates then.

NekoMichi

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
32GB was more than enough for what I was planning to use it for. If you plan to put your movie library on your iPad however, go for a higher storage tier.

NekoMichi

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Final update:
It was a painless experience. The Genius took a look at the port, downloaded some diagnostics from the iPad, then gave me a brown-box replacement iPad Pro right on the spot without any charge. Absolutely brilliant. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2