Is anyone attempting to write their novel this year on the iPad Pro?

JSSmith83

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Anyone attempting to write their novel this year on the iPad pro? Are you using the apple keyboard or something else? I've been using my MacBook pro mostly and iPad here and there. I might go invest in the smart keyboard case, but I haven't really had the need to just yet.

Good luck out there to all the nanowrimoers

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully the members who indeed plan on writing a novel on their iPad Pro devices will reply soon.

JSSmith83

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm using Scrivener. It was daunting when I first started using it, but the more you use it, and try areas of it, the better it gets. I don't think I could write using anything else anymore. I'm so happy for the iOS version now too, however, I keep getting some syncing errors when I move from my laptop to my iPad Pro. I messed around with it last night, and I think I have it all smoothed out though.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Not quite: I'm writing detailed trail reports with pics and diagrams, I use Pages and no keyboard:
For me the whole point of an iPad is to do away with the keyboard

JSSmith83

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I wrote for a while on my iphone in bed the other night using Scrivener. I'm really wondering if I should get the apple keyboard case for my ipad now, even though I feel like it should be a device without a keybaord.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wrote for a while on my iphone in bed the other night using Scrivener. I'm really wondering if I should get the apple keyboard case for my ipad now, even though I feel like it should be a device without a keybaord.

I denied myself a keyboard case for five years, and the day I got one, it changed my iPad experience immensely.

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I do a fair bit of my writing on an iPad Air with either Ulysses or Scrivener. I agree that the iPad is generally best as a device without a keyboard, and I don't like the added thickness of a keyboard case. The best compromise for me has been the iPad with a smart cover and a magic keyboard in a slim, lightweight sleeve. It's easy to throw the keyboard in my bag when I want it, but I don't feel like I need to constantly remove a keyboard case for my typical iPad uses (reading, research, internet, games, etc.).

TLDR: This may be the compromise you're looking for: https://www.studioneat.com/products/canopy

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I've already ordered one. Won't be here in time for nanowrimo (obviously), but whenever it does get here I may post some initial impressions.

Kevin Webb2

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I use my iPad Pro 12.9 for work, knocking out long marketing documents in Word. I just started knocking out a set of related short stories in Scrivener and am enjoying the experience quite a bit. PS..I just bought the keyboard IvanKaramazov linked as it does seem a better solution than the smart keyboard.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I use my iPad Pro 12.9 for work, knocking out long marketing documents in Word. I just started knocking out a set of related short stories in Scrivener and am enjoying the experience quite a bit. PS..I just bought the keyboard IvanKaramazov linked as it does seem a better solution than the smart keyboard.

I've never heard of the keyboard IvanKaramazov. Can you link to it?

philrodo

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I wish there was a Scrivener version for iOS...

I'm not writing a novel, but I use Scrivener to organize and keep track of the findings of my digital forensic examinations and then use all or some of the notes I amassed during the examination to generate a report. It works really well for me, although I have to improvise from the way Scrivener is supposed to be used by those using it to write a book. What I really like about it, is that I can organize all my notes in one file, which is a great help when I'm looking back to find a particular finding I documented previously or to use as a quick way to refresh my recollection as to the findings pertaining to a particular examination.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I wish there was a Scrivener version for iOS...

I'm not writing a novel, but I use Scrivener to organize and keep track of the findings of my digital forensic examinations and then use all or some of the notes I amassed during the examination to generate a report. It works really well for me, although I have to improvise from the way Scrivener is supposed to be used by those using it to write a book. What I really like about it, is that I can organize all my notes in one file, which is a great help when I'm looking back to find a particular finding I documented previously or to use as a quick way to refresh my recollection as to the findings pertaining to a particular examination.

There is!

Scrivener by Literature & Latte
https://appsto.re/us/jqx95.i

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro