Verizon iPad Pro 12.9 & T-Mobile Sim

Tersanyus

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a Verizon iPad Pro 12.9. It's on the payment plan, whatever it is Verizon calls that. It's also on my postpaid plan (with an iPhone 7 Plus and an Asus tablet). All is fine when the Verizon sim is in the Pro.

However, if I use a T-Mobile sim, which I have on that free 200mb a month free plan, I have no data. The "T-Mobile LTE" network name shows in the upper left as it should. I can check the cellular data account right there clicking "Manage T-Mobile account" and it shows the plan as valid and how much data is left. I check "Cellular Data" > "Cellular Data Options" and there is an option there for APN but it only reads "beta" for APN name with all other fields blank.

Now here is where it gets even stranger. I also have an iPad Air 2 which is factory unlocked, the T-Mobile sim works perfectly in that iPad. Both iPads are on 10.0.2. I knew Verizon LTE devices are sim unlocked and that doesn't seem to be an issue or the T-Mobile sim wouldn't even be recognized.

I realize I could probably just find out what the APN should be for T-Mobile and be done with it. But I'm just wondering why the Pro is doing this and the Air 2 isn't. I'm just so used to all iDevices automatically setting the APN when a new sim is being used. I thought I remember reading somewhere that Verizon disabled the built in hardware sim in the newer iPad Pro's, unsure if the 12.9 has that or not.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Great question, and hopefully a knowledgeable member will reply with an answer soon.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77