Cross platforms

anon(9708869)

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Ok, so I have an iPad Pro 9.7 which I am loving and don't want to give up on (not even a consideration at this point) and I am seriously leaning toward an unlocked US version Galaxy S7 since I am wholly unimpressed by the iPhone 7 and I really like the GS7. So, does anyone have any experience living with an iOS device (iPad specifically) and an Android phone? Will it drive me nuts? The main worry I have is messages. Can I use messages on the iPad just through my email address and not phone number so as not to foul everything up? It might help me to share pics with family and videos with my wife through my ipad. Please let me know what you all think.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
.... Can I use messages on the iPad just through my email address and not phone number so as not to foul everything up? ...

If the messages are "iMessages" then yes, but if they're SMS messages then no. I'm assuming your reference to email address is actually a reference to your Apple / iCloud ID.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Exactly as Just_Me_D suggested, yes you can do it that way.

However, yes I think it's going to drive you nuts, as people are likely to send iMessages to your email address (i.e. just replying to your last message) meaning that you might miss messages when you are separated from your iPad. You might be better served by moving those you can over to some kind of cross platform messaging service (WhatsApp, FaceBook Messenger, Hangouts) if you really want to go down this path.

Just remember to disable iMessage for your mobile number before you use your iPhone for the last time - How to disable and deactivate iMessage on iPhone or iPad | iMore

seriously leaning toward an unlocked US version Galaxy S7

I've always maintained some kind of Android device so I can keep an eye on it's development, and whilst IMHO Android is coming along well, it's just not right for me. I'm also thinking about the GS7 as my next Android phone, however the recall might make me reconsider this (https://news.samsung.com/global/statement-on-galaxy-note7). That said, these kinds of things are always happening and it is how a company actually responds that matters.

I'd personally have a preference of going into an Apple Store and getting my phone sorted on the spot, without fuss. The same just isn't true of most other handset vendors (I'm in Australia), and given how much I rely upon my phone for work this is a key aspect.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I'd personally have a preference of going into an Apple Store and getting my phone sorted on the spot, without fuss. The same just isn't true of most other handset vendors (I'm in Australia), and given how much I rely upon my phone for work this is a key aspect.

Genuine question - how often do you have to take your phone into a shop for support?!
In 18 years of mobile/smart phone ownership, I have never had to visit a shop for support, call a helpline, etc. However, I am aware that many Apple users do seem to require support regularly. Is there a problem with Apple products being difficult to use or frequently problematic compared to other brands?
(I'm aware that this won't be a popular question :) )

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Genuine question - how often do you have to take your phone into a shop for support?!
In 18 years of mobile/smart phone ownership, I have never had to visit a shop for support, call a helpline, etc. However, I am aware that many Apple users do seem to require support regularly. Is there a problem with Apple products being difficult to use or frequently problematic compared to other brands?
(I'm aware that this won't be a popular question :) )

I think that Apple's hardware and software is actually less prone to problems than what else is out there but, just like any complex electronic device in a very small package, issues arise. I'm pretty good with iPhones but I've been to an Apple Store multiple times because something wasn't working right. A few weeks ago I went for a swim with my iPhone in my pocket. Stuff just happens.

A lot of people visit the forum when they're having issues so we are very cognizant of stuff like that.

kirkenpat

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I have an iPad Pro 9.7 which I am loving and don't want to give up on (not even a consideration at this point) and I am seriously leaning toward an unlocked US version Galaxy S7 since I am wholly unimpressed by the iPhone 7 and I really like the GS7. So, does anyone have any experience living with an iOS device (iPad specifically) and an Android phone? Will it drive me nuts? The main worry I have is messages. Can I use messages on the iPad just through my email address and not phone number so as not to foul everything up? It might help me to share pics with family and videos with my wife through my ipad. Please let me know what you all think.

IF you use Verizon then their Message+ app is the solution. I use it with an Android phone, iPad pro and various other tablets. It links to your phone number. Also, all of my devices are on my Verizon service. Your results may vary.

Not sure about other carriers.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I think that Apple's hardware and software is actually less prone to problems than what else is out there but, just like any complex electronic device in a very small package, issues arise. I'm pretty good with iPhones but I've been to an Apple Store multiple times because something wasn't working right. A few weeks ago I went for a swim with my iPhone in my pocket. Stuff just happens.

A lot of people visit the forum when they're having issues so we are very cognizant of stuff like that.

Fair enough. But this must add a lot of cost to Apple devices - customers pay for it one way or another. Those fancy shops in expensive locations, full of "expert" staff, need to be paid for. Personally I'm not happy to pay for something that I don't need, and with all due respect I'm not sure why I should pay for support for someone who takes their iPhone for a swim.

I think Apple should either cut these shops and support all together, or start charging for them - say EUR 50 to visit an expert for 20 minutes. Savings should be used to reduce the selling price of the phones. What do other people think?

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough. But this must add a lot of cost to Apple devices - customers pay for it one way or another. Those fancy shops in expensive locations, full of "expert" staff, need to be paid for. Personally I'm not happy to pay for something that I don't need, and with all due respect I'm not sure why I should pay for support for someone who takes their iPhone for a swim.

I think Apple should either cut these shops and support all together, or start charging for them - say EUR 50 to visit an expert for 20 minutes. Savings should be used to reduce the selling price of the phones. What do other people think?

Reduce the selling price to what? What would people be happy paying? Is this for Apple only? Note 7 cost 879 without samsung having fancy stores so what's the reason for their price? Assuming iPhone prices are high because of stores and the fact that they back their devices with excellent customer support is far fetched.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

With all due respect, I dove into a pond to save my two year old son who had just fallen into it. I don't make it a habit to take my phone into water with me. iPhones have gigantic markups and Apple Stores are some of the most profitable stores per square foot in the world. Do you think Apple would lower the price of iPhones if they stopped offering expert advice and warranty services? They wouldn't. In fact, their level of support is a big reason many people choose Apple. It would hurt sales more than the couple of bucks it costs them to replace a broken iPhone or troubleshoot device problems.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
With all due respect, I dove into a pond to save my two year old son who had just fallen into it. I don't make it a habit to take my phone into water with me. iPhones have gigantic markups and Apple Stores are some of the most profitable stores per square foot in the world. Do you think Apple would lower the price of iPhones if they stopped offering expert advice and warranty services? They wouldn't. In fact, their level of support is a big reason many people choose Apple. It would hurt sales more than the couple of bucks it costs them to replace a broken iPhone or troubleshoot device problems.

A basic iPhone 7 *with a 4.7 inch screen* costs EUR 769 (APPLE iPhone 7 32 GB Silver Smartphone) and that's not even from an Apple shop. This does hurt sales. It might be better for Apple to get rid of the free support (which most people probably don't use), reduce the price of the handsets, and increase the price of Apple Care to pay for support for those who do want it. That would be a fairer allocation of costs.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
A basic iPhone 7 *with a 4.7 inch screen* costs EUR 769 (APPLE iPhone 7 32 GB Silver Smartphone) and that's not even from an Apple shop. This does hurt sales. It might be better for Apple to get rid of the free support (which most people probably don't use), reduce the price of the handsets, and increase the price of Apple Care to pay for support for those who do want it. That would be a fairer allocation of costs.

That's the selling price of the phone, not the cost incurred by Apple to make it. They already make a huge margin on these things. If they wanted to to reduce the price of the iPhone they could. I'm sure they have an entire team of Harvard degrees that says that lowering the price of the iPhone and reducing customer support would be a mistake.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
That's the selling price of the phone, not the cost incurred by Apple to make it.

Yes I know. Think about it for a moment. EUR 769 for a phone with a 4.7 inch screen in late 2016. EUR 769.

They already make a huge margin on these things. If they wanted to to reduce the price of the iPhone they could.

But that would mean their profits would be lower (*) and they and their shareholders couldn't buy as many trinkets, speedboats, houses covered in gold leaf, etc. My plan allows their profits to remain at the same level while reducing their costs.

(*) well it might mean they sold enough extra phones to compensate, and even make more profit, but that's a discussion for another day.

I'm sure they have an entire team of Harvard degrees that says that lowering the price of the iPhone and reducing customer support would be a mistake.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

If we accept the conclusions of Apple's staff on all matters without question, and never disagree with each other, then we can shut down this forum. :)