Do you recommend an iPad Pro for a Graphic Design student?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ahahah oh my god. Thank you anyways

I think it COULD be a good idea, but you would need to invest in the pencil (the stylus) and the keyboard to really make it worthwhile. As a GD Student the Pencil would be great, but you still need a computer (or computer like device) for paper and such, so you need the keyboard so you can do papers and to make emails to your professors easier.

You are also going to have an issue with apps like photoshop and illustrator which you can't run on an iPad Pro. It's possible you're school has a lab with PCs or Mac which will have the software which you can use, so maybe it's not an issue? BUT as a GD student you NEED those programs!

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I teach graphic design and have an iPad Pro. I find it useful as a supplemental tool and not a replacement for a laptop.

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
I have found that Autodesk Graphic is a great tool to use for graphic design. There are a ton of PS apps....

I would say it is a great addition as well. I can do some designing on the ipad and can take it into PS and tweak it. But I am going to try doing some finished products and check out how they look in PS.

Also depends on what you are doing.

Powerplaygraphix

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
As a Graphic Design Student, I would say ONLY as a supplemental piece of equipment. It is actually really BAD at extensive Photo-editing and general Graphic Design work. Graphic by Autodesk is the best iOS app for an ATTEMPT at Graphic Design but it's WAY underpowered and it doesn't import or export AI or EPS files (PDF export is hit or miss). There is no true Page Layout software at all for iOS.

With Duet Display or Astropad, it does make a decent Cintiq alternative, just make sure you're using a MacBook Pro made in the last couple of years or it can be painfully slow.

All that being said, for illustration, it's incredible. The Pencil combined with ProCreate is one of the best digital illustration environments I've worked in over the 20 years I've been in the business. ProCreate is REALLY powerful and it's the most fluid illustration environment I've ever worked in on a tablet. It might even be better than working on a Cintiq in Photoshop or Clip Studio Paint.