Trying to decide on a new iPad

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I know I know, yet another topic on choosing an iPad, I just figured it would be better to start a new thread based on MY needs versus asking in another persons thread. So let's dive in.

I currently have an original iPad mini, 64GB Wifi only. As most of you are aware, it's an extremely old device at this point. I certainly can tell my mini has seen better days. It's just so sluggish and mostly everything lags which makes it disappointing to use.

My uses would be writing (with my documents stored on iCloud Drive and Dropbox), browsing the web, emails (both work and personal) moderate gaming (nothing too graphic intense or demanding) streaming Netflix and Hulu. Ya know, what the average person would use their device for. I'm looking to go back to school as well but it would pretty much be where I take notes and write some shorter papers.

My main dilemma, make that my only dilemma, is what capacity would be best for my use case? I would be keeping my mini and throw most of my iTunes movies on that and I would prefer to just keep my music on my iPod, I have no need for music to be on my iPad. That's what my iPod, Mac and iPhone are for. The biggest issue I have is the $150 price jump between the 32GB 9.7" Pro and the 128GB Pro.

I wish I could say money isn't an issue for me but it is. I won't be broke per se if I spent the $850 including taxes on the 128GB model but it's a hard pill to swallow. I know I would utilize that massive amount of extra space but I feel like I'd have to go out of my way to fill it up. I don't do photo editing or anything like on my iPads. And like I stated, music would stay in the cloud, on my Mac and on my iPod.

I need a little help choosing and possibly even justifying the $150 bump in price. Any help is appreciated and mods, feel free to move this wherever or close it if you feel the need. Thanks in advance.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, even on my 64 GB Air, I never filled it to capacity. With my 6s+ and new Pro I have bought the max capacity devices (128 GB and 256 GB respectively) just for the luxury of having it and even my phone still has about 30 gigs free after loading my entire music library onto it. Without loading lots of large media files (music and especially video) it is actually pretty hard to break even 32 GB. There are very few apps that take up a lot of storage space. If you're squeamish about the price and don't plan to load a lot of local media onto your device, the 32 GB unit will serve you well. It is the same as the high end model in all other respects.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Algus! I'll have to go through and take a look at the iPad version of the apps I use and see how much space those take up as well.

May 24, 2016
Visit site
If there's one device I'm not concerned about the storage capacity on its my iPad Pro. It totally depends on how you use it of course, but I don't have any music stored on my iPad either (though I do have quite a few podcasts, these are deleted as soon as they're listened to so don't tend to take up much space). I use word a fair bit but again it takes up little space. I'm glad I got the bigger screen because I watch a lot of Netflix but I could easily get used to the smaller screen so if I was strapped for cash I'd probably go for the air - my 2 cents.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I opted for the 32 GB Wi-Fi + Cellular model because I know that I can easily manage it in regard to storage. My 64 GB iPhone 6S Plus is still my primary smart device. Furthermore, I am a heavy user of cloud services like Evernote, OneNote, Dropbox and iCloud. I don't download and store music on my iPad Pro and with the exception of the photos that are synced via iCloud, I don't take pics with it. So you see, the 32 GB model is more than sufficient for my usage, and may be the same for you.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Suitedandbooted! Also, D, you've been around for quite some time in regards to iMore. Pretty sure you were here before I joined back when it was TiPb, so your input is very much appreciated. Question for you, I consider myself to be a borderline power user, do you find that you're running out of space when it comes to apps? Also, How much larger are iPad apps vs their iPhone counterparts?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Suitedandbooted! Also, D, you've been around for quite some time in regards to iMore. Pretty sure you were here before I joined back when it was TiPb, so your input is very much appreciated.
You're very kind, and yes, iMore was known as TiPB when I joined...��
Question for you, I consider myself to be a borderline power user, do you find that you're running out of space when it comes to apps? Also, How much larger are iPad apps vs their iPhone counterparts?
In regard to the iPad Pro, I do not find that I'm running out of space. I don't use it in the same manner as I use my iPhone. Besides, I don't install apps on my iPad Pro that I won't use consistently. In regard to the size of the apps, I honestly don't know...:)

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
You're very kind, and yes, iMore was known as TiPB when I joined...�� In regard to the iPad Pro, I do not find that I'm running out of space. I don't use it in the same manner as I use my iPhone. Besides, I don't install apps on my iPad Pro that I won't use consistently. In regard to the size of the apps, I honestly don't know...:)

If I may ask, and you definitely don't have to, what is your iPad Pro used for?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I may ask, and you definitely don't have to, what is your iPad Pro used for?

Web browsing, paying bills, creating and editing documents, managing work and home schedules, emailing, forum use, research and news/article reading.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I think you'll be fine with a 32GB model.. I tend to not use as much storage space on my iPad as I do on my iPhone. If money is not an issue, then for sure go with the 128GB model.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think you'll be fine with a 32GB model.. I tend to not use as much storage space on my iPad as I do on my iPhone. If money is not an issue, then for sure go with the 128GB model.

I agree. I do EVERYTHING with my iPhone because it is always with me. Stuff like music, videos of my kids playing sports or doing stupid stuff, experimenting with various apps & games, along with typical smart device usage are the things I do with it. My iPad Pro is more of a business use type thing, just like it was with my MacBook. 32 GB is PLENTY for me on my iPad Pro.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I definitely need to change my habit of having whatever app is on my iPhone to also have on my iPad. I have a few photo editing apps on my phone but that's for quick little edits. I'm definitely a creature of habit. I've kept the same word processors on my iPhone and iPad for a couple years now when the only apps I really use in that scenario are 1writer, editorial and notability. Although I could probably swap out notability for Evernote. I have a feeling it takes up less space. I also have a ton of games on my mini but I hardly ever play 3/4 of them. I need to go through and do some cleaning up of apps I never use. I have this thought process, which I need to get rid of, where I think I'll use a certain app more or that I'll start using it more and I never do. I also stream pretty much everything. The only time I'll load up movies is if I'm traveling. And even with that I'll still have my mini so I could just delete all my apps and stuff off it and solely use my mini for movies and even a few games.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I definitely need to change my habit of having whatever app is on my iPhone to also have on my iPad. I have a few photo editing apps on my phone but that's for quick little edits. I'm definitely a creature of habit. I've kept the same word processors on my iPhone and iPad for a couple years now when the only apps I really use in that scenario are 1writer, editorial and notability. Although I could probably swap out notability for Evernote. I have a feeling it takes up less space. I also have a ton of games on my mini but I hardly ever play 3/4 of them. I need to go through and do some cleaning up of apps I never use. I have this thought process, which I need to get rid of, where I think I'll use a certain app more or that I'll start using it more and I never do. I also stream pretty much everything. The only time I'll load up movies is if I'm traveling. And even with that I'll still have my mini so I could just delete all my apps and stuff off it and solely use my mini for movies and even a few games.

Been there, done that, my friend......If you opt to set up your iPad as new, you're less likely to install unnecessary or hardly used apps, in my experience.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Been there, done that, my friend......If you opt to set up your iPad as new, you're less likely to install unnecessary or hardly used apps, in my experience.

Hahaha what's worse is I always, I mean always set up as new. Especially for a major phone update. And I still add everything back to how I had it originally. I screenshot my iPad/iPhone and reference it when adding my apps back so I know how I had it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hahaha what's worse is I always, I mean always set up as new. Especially for a major phone update. And I still add everything back to how I had it originally. I screenshot my iPad/iPhone and reference it when adding my apps back so I know how I had it.

(Laughing)....You are indeed a creature of habit......There are help groups for that...1-800-WHATTHEHECK is a good one....(just kiddin')...

rdmartin1

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Have you passed 32 on your mini? I would do the 128 personally. But, if you are under 32 on your Mini and plan to use it in a similar fashion 32 may work. I would leave a little cushion since the Pro has extra capabilities. Who knows what you may end up using and need storage space for.

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
(Laughing)....You are indeed a creature of habit......There are help groups for that...1-800-WHATTHEHECK is a good one....(just kiddin')...

I went to one of those support groups, then I realized most of the guys were just bragging in the disguise of confessing their sins. While confessing, I mentioned this app I had that turns images into fax and next thing you know everyone was playing with the app. And I only mentioned to ask, "who needs fax???"

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
So I think I'm leaning more towards the 32 as I will definitely put all my media on my mini. And besides, I think throwing two iPads in my bag when I travel really won't be a hassle at all. I also just missed out on a crazy deal. Marco Arment was selling a mint condition iPad Pro 12.9" 32GB for $550. He dropped it from I believe $650 and when I saw the price drop he had tweeted it had been sold. Bummer. That would have been real nice.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77