More effective charging with original USB-C to Lightning cable?

srfoto

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I just bought the new 29w charger for the iPad Pro. However, I have not bought the original USB-C to lightning cable, but a cheaper variant. will I be able to notice any difference in the charge when the cable is not original?

After 1 hour charging I understand when people review this combo as fast. 1 hour ago the battery was 49% and now 68% so I think the copy of the cable does the work good.

Last edited:

srfoto

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
After 2 weeks with a copy of a USB-C to Lightning cable I decided to buy a original cable to see if it was better.

A test:
Not original cable after 1 hour charging: 49% to 68%
With original cable after 1 hour charging: 58% to 96%

I've changed my mind about the copy cable versus original :)

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
That more or less fits in with my 29W Charger and 2mtr long USB-C Cable.
Although the standard cable that comes with the iPad Pro is quicker if used with the 29W Charger it's still no competition for the USB-C Cable.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I just let my iPad charge overnight.. And I carry a power bank during the day.. That's how I avoid getting a USB-C and the adapter

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I just let my iPad charge overnight.. And I carry a power bank during the day.. That's how I avoid getting a USB-C and the adapter
Which power bank do you use?

Every one I have tried are horrendously slow at charging.
Obviously they won't be as fast as the expensive 29W brick and USB-C to Lightning Cable I use but for portability I'd sure love one to take out with me that would at least charge at something similar to the brick you get with the Pro 12.9"

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Which power bank do you use?

Every one I have tried are horrendously slow at charging.
Obviously they won't be as fast as the expensive 29W brick and USB-C to Lightning Cable I use but for portability I'd sure love one to take out with me that would at least charge at something similar to the brick you get with the Pro 12.9"

I use the Anker PowerCore+ 26800

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I use the Anker PowerCore+ 26800

Thanks interesting.
I have been considering the Anker PowerCore+ 20100 which has USB-C thinking it would be good for the USB-C to Lighting cable I already have.
However the port only pushes 3A at 5V meaning 15W which is down on the 29W I get with the expensive brick I purchased to speed the recharge.

What's the performance like on your 26800?
Performance wise it's slightly down on the 20100 being 2.4A as opposed to 3A on the 20100 and doesn't support USB-C which again the 20100 does.
However, if there's not much between the two I'd snap up the larger capacity 26800 in a beat.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks interesting.
I have been considering the Anker PowerCore+ 20100 which has USB-C thinking it would be good for the USB-C to Lighting cable I already have.
However the port only pushes 3A at 5V meaning 15W which is down on the 29W I get with the expensive brick I purchased to speed the recharge.

What's the performance like on your 26800?
Performance wise it's slightly down on the 20100 being 2.4A as opposed to 3A on the 20100 and doesn't support USB-C which again the 20100 does.
However, if there's not much between the two I'd snap up the larger capacity 26800 in a beat.

It doesn't charge as fast as the USB C brick + USB C lightning cable. From my experience, the speed is the same as charging from a normal lightning cable (I might be wrong here).

Although having 26800 everywhere you go is the reason I got mine. No need to worry about my iPad nor my iPhone running out of juice. If you use the iPad Pro while using it, it'll take quite awhile.

It's worth getting one IMO, oh you should check out the PowerPort too! Useful stuff.. Gotta love Anker :)

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't charge as fast as the USB C brick + USB C lightning cable. From my experience, the speed is the same as charging from a normal lightning cable (I might be wrong here).

Although having 26800 everywhere you go is the reason I got mine. No need to worry about my iPad nor my iPhone running out of juice. If you use the iPad Pro while using it, it'll take quite awhile.

It's worth getting one IMO, oh you should check out the PowerPort too! Useful stuff.. Gotta love Anker :)

Cheers. Appreciated. ��