First impressions of 9.7" iPad Pro Smart Keyboard Cover

1blodg

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Spent yesterday afternoon chatting with support. They didn't have any answers. Suggested send it in or take to Apple Store, 80 miles away. Or return it to seller. Maybe I'll do a day trip to Mall of America and their Apple Store. And shop till I drop. Could get expensive.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the review.

I like mine as an obvious and useful upgrade over the smart cover (now I can have a minimum of travel bulk & still have a keyboard if I need it for quick projects) but it has not wowed me enough to replace my ZAGGKeys keyboard cover, which provides more keys and backlighting. I didn't think the typing was ideal but really my old cover has the same issue as well since a keyboard sized for a 9.7'' screen really just isn't that convenient.

I make a lot more errors with this keyboard but I am sure that is just from not being used to the arrangement of the keys and Apple's spellcheck software is pretty good so at least I am covered there. It is a nice accessory but I think serious writers will prefer third party covers and cases for more protection and better typing.

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the review.

I purchased my Smart Keyboard without trying it in store first and glad I did. I don't type a great deal on my iPad but the convenience of having one built into the cover I thought would come in handy from time to time.

InfernoGuy

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Just got the 9.7 inch keyboard after getting the 9.7 iPP on Saturday (I exchanged the Logi Create case for my 12.9 to get it).

One word. Awesome! I thought the smaller form factor and smaller keys would make me regret the decision but it's working out way better than I expected. Get this if you're looking to add a little functionality to your iPad.

...also, the magnet is strong with this keyboard as I can fold it back to use the iPad as a true tablet and it sticks! Yay!!!

1blodg

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Update for my failed keyboard. My main gripe is, don't let Apple support suggestions totally influence you. I took my pro pad and keyboard to an Apple Store. Had to make an appointment, drive 80 miles and use up a day off for this. They ran a quick diagnostic, couldn't find an issue. They cleared memory and did a restart from iTunes, the same thing I did at home. They said if it happens again exchange the keyboard. Three hours of run time at home the keyboard freezes and also freezes the iPad. Any work you're doing is lost, you have to power down for things to work. Exchanged keyboard and it's worse. Minutes between keyboard fail. I get hold of Apple support. They think maybe the iPad is defective, what I thought in the first place. They asked if I wanted to set up a return. Yeah,better than driving to the Apple Store again. This time they said I could take it to a local authorized Apple warranty service dealer. In town, six miles away. Why didn't support suggest that in the first place? They couldn't answer that. I bought my iPad online and couldn't even buy a keyboard for a few weeks later. So returning the iPad was out. I dropped off my iPad and keyboard to warranty center. They said it may be a few days to test it and they'd call. They emailed the next day. The iPad is defective, a new one would be there the next day. Now I'm totally happy with my iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard. But for a few weeks I was very disgusted with Apple in general.

CrackOne

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I had a Zagg BT keyboard for an older iPad that I had and it was OK. I used it primarily when I went out of town. I got to the point that I didn't need to take a laptop with me on shorter trips. Now I have the Apple keyboard and a matching silicone case/back and it is terrific. The small size makes it possible to always have a keyboard with me. I really love it.

Sam Page

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
What if someone created an add-on that worked with the iPad Pro's smart keyboard? It could provide the option to lift the iPad higher for viewing at eye-level, improving your posture while you use the tablet to alleviate neck/back discomfort. It would also double as protection for the back of the iPad, while keeping the slim design. How much would you be willing to pay for that?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2