iPad Pro 9.7 awkward to hold?

bindenver

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I just purchased the iPad Pro 9.7, after debating the upgrade to an iPad mini 4.
( replacing an iPad mini 2)
I love the screen, the speed, the 4 speakers. This is a beautiful product.
However, I am finding that holding the iPad Pro 9.7 is unwieldy and is
Causing pains in my wrist. It's light, it's thin, but the extra size causes these issues.
Does anyone else have this problem? I do have a stand, but I like holding the iPad.
Should I give up and just go to the iPad mini 4?

jarofclay73

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
If the 9.7" iPad is too heavy to hold with one hand, then maybe the iPad Mini is for you. However, you will lose a few features from the iPad Pro 9.7". (e.g. Apple Pencil support/TrueTone display)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I find that it is easier to hold in landscape view than it is in portrait view, and although I don't have my Smart Keyboard yet, I've got a feeling that it'll be even easier to hold with it attached. Still, I'm not experiencing any pain or anything like that from holding it.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have arthritis and I hear what you are saying. If you are used to the mini the 9.7 version feels way heavier. There isn't much you could about it. You will hopefully get used to the added weight. If it's bothering you that much may want to consider exchanging it for the mini.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I use my iPad Pro 9.7" with the Smart Keyboard. This allows me to fold the cover to its keyboard mode, which creates an angled near vertical support for the iPad. I can then just set the iPad on a flat surface or, as now, on my lap in bed to type and read. I used to do something similar with the Smart Cover on my old iPad Air, then just used my right index finger and thumb to assure it stayed upright, resting my right wrist on my leg, or on another flat surface. And, yes, I nearly always use my iPad in landscape mode (wide view).

I very seldom just hold the iPad in my hand for an extended period. It is much lighter than a laptop, but certainly not a featherweight. If you must hold the iPad in the air to use it, then the smaller model may suit you better.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I just purchased the iPad Pro 9.7, after debating the upgrade to an iPad mini 4.
( replacing an iPad mini 2)
I love the screen, the speed, the 4 speakers. This is a beautiful product.
However, I am finding that holding the iPad Pro 9.7 is unwieldy and is
Causing pains in my wrist. It's light, it's thin, but the extra size causes these issues.
Does anyone else have this problem? I do have a stand, but I like holding the iPad.
Should I give up and just go to the iPad mini 4?

I never had any problems. Then again to me iPad Pro 12.2 inch iPad to me is not heavy and presents no problems.

That70sGAdawg

Trusted Member
Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
If the "thinness" of the tablet is causing difficulty (strain) to hold, I found a good grippy case helps. It also sounds better held horizontally, so try that , or go to the mini.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR