Will the iPad Pro be in high demand?

Hotdogtree

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I'm going to Florida for a week beginning April 17, and would love to purchase a 9.7" iPad Pro while I'm out there. I'm a bit worried there won't be any in stock during my trip, but as I've never purchased an iPad on or around launch day before, I don't really know what the demand will be, or what to expect.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any wisdom/advice they can impart - I know iPhone wait times can stretch into weeks when they first launch, I'm just hoping the same isn't going to be true for the iPad Pro.

Thanks.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Well pre-orders with Apple for launch day delivery is not sold out yet so the demand can't be that high. It's an iPad we are talking about. Not iPhone 7 launch.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I suspect most of the demand will be from people replacing older models who have grown comfortable using them, and simply have been waiting for an excuse from Apple to upgrade. This a different class device from the iPhone, which people carry around with them all day. So, no, I don't expect demand to be exceptional. Availability will of course be driven by what Apple's expectations are and the production orders they placed. So, it's hard to predict whether waiting a few weeks will make a difference.

My new iPad Pro will be delivered next week on the first day of availability. Apple's servers were so overwhelmed with Apple Watch orders last Spring that it took me three tries to get my order processed, and that minor delay pushed my delivery date out a month beyond the official release date. This time my order processed like a routine online order for an accessory, with no issues.

Last edited:

Hotdogtree

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. I realise the iPad and iPhone are two different animals; I only mentioned the iPhone because it's the only Apple product I've ever bought for launch, and I know how quickly they sell out. Obviously the demand for the iPad isn't going to be as high, but the fact that they've not sold out for launch day delivery yet has allayed my fears. I'm very excited to get my hands on one!

fourthbase

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
You should be okay. I bought the iPad Air the second day it was out and had no problems at all. iPads don't generate the kind of anticipation the iPhone does in my experience.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It's honestly not really a jaw dropping, must have product. It's certainly a nice device but nothing overly specially. I don't think you'll have too much of an issue getting one. The hype/demand doesn't seem too high.

Goldengriff

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
I bet numbers are very low, no 64 version, no upgraded fingerprint reader and starting price point 100.00 higher... You always have to put something in for the masses, this just dose not have it....

mark2741

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
FWIW, after going back and forth trying to decide whether the Pro was worth it to me vs the Air 2, I finally decided to get the Pro this morning and tried pre-ordering from a Best Buy in a neighboring state, about a 30 minute drive from me, as it would have been no tax with in-store pick-up. With the $749 ipad, plus pencil, plus applecare+, it would have been a ~$50 savings so worth it to me. But alas, this morning they stopped offering pre-order at Best Buy stores near me for the Space Gray 128gb Wifi version.

So I then tried pre-ordering to pick up at the Apple store right in my town, but no dice - had to have it shipped. It will still arrive on Thursday (with the pencil arriving Wednesday), but UPS guy comes late in the day : ( So I think it depends on where you live. I highly doubt that I'd be able to get an iPad Pro 9.7 Space Gray 128gb wifi one on Thursday in store.