32gb or 128gb

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
What do you plan on doing on the device?
Will you be storing a lot of media (movies, videos, pictures, music)?
What other uses do you have planned?

Typically, it is advisable to buy the most storage you can afford, but if you are only using it for email and internet browsing, then you might not need the larger capacity.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, I can't decide. Which one do you guys think it's better? 32 or 128? Thanks

This really depends on how you're going to use it. If you do not plan on storing any videos or photos the 32 GB will most likely meet your need. Otherwise if you are planning on a lot of things like music, movies and photos, then go for the 128 GB so you have the storage to accommodate it.

scionluna

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
iMore has just updated their iPad Buying guide. Here is the link for storage advice.
What iPad storage size should you get: From 16 GB all the way to 256 GB? | iMore

In my experience 32 GB is tight. I own a 32GB Nexus 7 and currently have about 11 GB of space left. I have about 9 GB of apps and 4 GB of selected music. The OS takes about 7 GB of space.
Keep in mind that the OS will take up space especially with future updates.
I personally wish the Nexus 7 had 64 GB of space. That is sufficient in my opinion.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Personally I would get the 256gb since I love local storage over cloud solutions. I don't like cloud services since I don't trust Google and Dropbox and one drive free space is pretty constricted so I use one drive for school related stuff and Dropbox to backup my photos which is now around 5-6 GB worth. I just lost my 50gb which I got when I got a Samsung device which probably was my s3 or s4? I only pay for Apple iCloud but that's to hold my iPad and iPhone backup which is around 6GB total between the two. Honestly for most people I would suggest the 128gb one of you can afford it. 6GB if they offered it

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I am upgrading from an iPad 3 with 32GB, which is currently down to less than 2GB available. Most of the apps on my iPad are games. Needless to say, I am going with the 128GB on the iPad Pro.

rk249

May 13, 2012
Visit site
128GB is probably the best middle ground. Not overkill and getting the 32GB you might regret it later when you run short. Depends on what you use it for though.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
32 GBs is plenty if you're not going to load up the device with music, pics & videos, in my opinion. My iPad Pro is primarily for business, just like my iPhone. I don't play a lot of games, I don't store videos or home movies on it, and I don't have any plans of taking pictures with it so I could easily get by with the 32 GB model.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Keep in mind how you plan to use the iPad. My old iPad Air had around 20GB in use all the time. That included around a thousand of my favorite songs, 4,000 photos (synced with iCloud devices), 200 books, 150 apps. When I traveled I added a few movies, which pretty much filled up my 32GB of storage.

This time I opted for the 128GB model. 64GB would probably have been plenty for me, but that's not an option now. Also keep in mind that the new iPad Pro 9.7" has a greatly upgraded camera that will now shoot regular photos, Live Photos, and 4K videos. The 12MP camera's files are now 50% larger, and each Live Photo is a mini 3 second video. 4K videos are huge. If you ever plan to make use of the great new camera, you'll need the space to store those larger files.

One final caveat, if you ever plan to resell the iPad, the extra storage capacity will likely affect its value in a major way.

yoshimiya08

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I have the 32GB version. I mostly keep everything on my iphone and i use spotify for music so i dont store any music on the ipad.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
People generally keep their iPad longer than their phone. That could make a difference as well. I could make do with 32 myself.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I had a 32 gig Nexus 6 since launch and I never seemed to fill it more than 1/2 full at any given time.

However, I just ordered a 128 gig model iPad Pro because I had the funds available. I will probably load this one up with music and movies.

rdmartin1

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Get the 128 at least. 32 is too little and for most people 256 is overkill. I have the 256 and don't ever see myself maxing it out.

anon(9940776)

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
My iPP is my first iPad, and I wasn't sure how to size it. I eventually chose the 128GB version, and currently hover around 60GB free. I sync a lot of video content from iTunes from one of my storage computers.

If you're getting a wi-fi only version, I recommend 128 or 256gb. You're trading the cellular for local storage.
If you're getting the wifi+cellular version, you could probably get along with 32gb, but would become reliant on cloud storage of some type.

If you use Microsoft apps, you get 1TB of storage with OneDrive, so consider that in your usage profile.

Apple really isn't that cost efficient on storage options. You're paying about $150 for 96GB of additional local storage. It's fast and seamless to use, but as far as memory goes, it's not really that great a deal. If you threw 150 at DropBox, how much storage could you buy over two years? A lot more than 96GB. I use DropBox for the example because it's one of the fastest uploader services, because it will saturate your network and steal bandwidth from everything else to achieve really useful speed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro