Official 'I've ordered a 9.7-inch iPad Pro' thread!

TheUnknownUser

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
I've been busy setting up my ipad pro that I didn't even bother posting here so my ipad arrived Tuesday even earlier than they stated when I paid for expedited shipping so I'm super happy about that. I'm still held back slightly because my keyboard is arriving separately and should he coming here today so very excited about that. I'm still on the fence about the Apple Pencil though I think I'll head into an Apple Store and see if I can get some real life experience before I make my decision.

DianaAW

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I ordered the 256 GB model with the keyboard case and Pencil the minute the Apple Store app allowed me to! I'm hoping to use it as a desktop/laptop replacement for 90% of my computing. *fingers crossed*
How is this working or for you? I would like to do the same thing.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
From bad things come good I suppose:

Last night my 64 GB Air slipped out of my hands and landed on the (tiled) floor screen first. Screen is completely shattered now. Did some soul searching and decided a repair was impossible to justify on a three year old iPad. Replacing it today with a 256 GB + Cellular Gold Pro. Waiting only for the Apple store to open. Already have my order in!

I hadn't planned on buying an iPad this year, continuing to save for a new iMac was the plan, but I am very much looking forward to finally having a fully loaded iPad.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From bad things come good I suppose:

Last night my 64 GB Air slipped out of my hands and landed on the (tiled) floor screen first. Screen is completely shattered now. Did some soul searching and decided a repair was impossible to justify on a three year old iPad. Replacing it today with a 256 GB + Cellular Gold Pro. Waiting only for the Apple store to open. Already have my order in!

I hadn't planned on buying an iPad this year, continuing to save for a new iMac was the plan, but I am very much looking forward to finally having a fully loaded iPad.

It's fate, my friend......Anyway, let us know your thoughts on your new iPad Pro when you get it, if you don't mind.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Well here are some day one thoughts.

When I went to restore from backup, I realized my last backup was from last August! Unfortunately, I'd already wiped my broken Air so I was SOL. Fortunately after restoring and updating, I only had to reload a few apps by hand. Remember to keep your backups in place!

True Tone is shockingly good. I always considered the iPad rather inferior to my kindle for ebooks but the improved visual clarity makes me think eye strain won't be as much of an issue. That's a killer feature for me as it means I can get rid of another old device.

The speakers are outstanding. I am a bit spoiled as my Mac has about $400 worth of audio equipment but compared to any mobile device or laptop I've ever used, the audio clarity of the iPad Pro rocks. I've never seriously used my iPad for video as I usually use my 13" Pro or my desktop Mac, which has dual 27" displays. However, the audio is good enough on this device that I might start using it for Netflix.

I am glad the weight and form factor remain constant from the Air. I absolutely loved my Air and the Pro feels like essentially the same device. Touch ID is very welcome as well. I've grown to love it on my iPhone.

I haven't run any games or intense apps yet but for basic stuff, I don't see a huge difference in performance. This is less a criticism of the Pro and more a comment about how the first gen Air is still an amazing device.

My Apple Store didn't have any Verizon sims so I can't use my cellular modem yet.

Switching to the gold was well worth it. I've kind of wanted it since the first Air but kept buying silver so all my devices would match. The gold really makes it stand out and look like a premium device though.

To be honest I would not have gotten the Pro if I hadn't broken my Air but it is certainly a quality product and the improved True Tone display seems like a huge improvement that should make Air and Air 2 owners consider an upgrade.

I won't get the pencil or keyboard for a couple months but I'm looking forward to using them. They were on my Air 3 wish list so it's great that we will get them in this form factor.

As a final note, the guys at the store were showing off the 12.9" Pro while I was there. It was my first chance to play with one. Wow! Those things are huge! I'm a big guy (6'4" 300 lbs) and they seem like to much even for me. I'll stick with my MacBook but I can see the appeal of the big iPad.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
After swearing I'd keep my Air 2...I ordered a 9/7" iPad Pro today. I'm officially "futureproof" now! :rotfl:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
After swearing I'd keep my Air 2...I ordered a 9/7" iPad Pro today. I'm officially "futureproof" now! :rotfl:

The question about future proofing and the small Pro only going with 2 GB's of RAM instead of 4 like the big Pro is how well it handles OS updates past this year.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
The question about future proofing and the small Pro only going with 2 GB's of RAM instead of 4 like the big Pro is how well it handles OS updates past this year.

I think it'll be fine. Apple is not foolish enough to paint themselves into a corner that soon or even in the foreseeable future. Heck, even the iPhone 5 handled every update Apple threw at it until recently with iOS9! I'm not concerned...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I think it'll be fine. Apple is not foolish enough to paint themselves into a corner that soon or even in the foreseeable future. Heck, even the iPhone 5 handled every update Apple threw at it until recently with iOS9! I'm not concerned...

Oh they have before. You recall iPad 3? 6 months later they had to release a 4th gen iPad because the 3 was too underpowered with Retina display. The original iPad was super slow after the first major update. The iPhone 4 was very underpowered after 1st major update. The iPhone 6 and 6 plus had many issues with multitasking because the lack of RAM.

Not foolish enough?

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess it's all in your expectations. Our family has had two iPhone 6's and I wouldn't say they have underperformed at all with heavy use.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
So... a bit late to the game, but having the iPad 2 since it came out I finally decided to pass that device down to one of my boys and get myself a Rose Gold Baby Pro through Verizon. I kind of struggled a bit on the storage decision, but seeing how I used my iPad 2 with 16gb I opted for the 32gb on the Baby. I thought about getting the pencil and the smart keyboard but IDK maybe I'll hit up eBay for those, lol.

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
So... a bit late to the game, but having the iPad 2 since it came out I finally decided to pass that device down to one of my boys and get myself a Rose Gold Baby Pro through Verizon. I kind of struggled a bit on the storage decision, but seeing how I used my iPad 2 with 16gb I opted for the 32gb on the Baby. I thought about getting the pencil and the smart keyboard but IDK maybe I'll hit up eBay for those, lol.

Congratulations! Going from a 2 to an iPad Pro is going to blow your mind. The speed and screen differences are night and day.

I grabbed a brand new smart keyboard for $100 on eBay. I'd say thats a good way to save a little bit of money.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations! Going from a 2 to an iPad Pro is going to blow your mind. The speed and screen differences are night and day.

I grabbed a brand new smart keyboard for $100 on eBay. I'd say thats a good way to save a little bit of money.

Just arrived today!! Thats a great price for the keyboard... I'd been watching a couple of auctions too but I think I'd get more use out of the pen than the keyboard right now.

thecaringkind

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Picking up my Space gray 128GB 9.7 Pro tomorrow. Basically replacing a Microsoft Surface 3. Looking forward to integrating my workflow to the new kit!

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
Having waited after the autum in case of a refresh I've gone for the same replacing an iPad mini 1st gen,
I so miss a full browser rather than the constraints of iOS but find the 9.7 pro a great experience for consuming and photo editing (Pixelmator) and editing movies (iMovie) but find the latter short of many features that the Mac OS has.

I'm really hoping iOS11 is a big step forward taking advantage of the power of the 9.7 pro.

Enjoy....

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I received mine yesterday, a refurb from Apple with cellular (32GB, space gray). It's an upgrade from a mini 4 and my first impressions are: Heavier! Faster! Bigger, more beautiful screen! Much better speakers!

Much as I adore my little iPad mini 4, the consensus appears to be that it'll be discontinued. I wanted/needed a more powerful iPad, one with cellular, so the 9.7" Pro seemed a good choice. Let's see how far it'll go in PC replacement for me... (at least a few things will be impossible, for my needs, so I did get a modest Mac mini as well). An inexpensive unattached BT keyboard comes tomorrow.