128 gb vs 256 gb?

AceJace

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I was happy to find out that the new 9.7 iPad Pro is slower than the 12.9 iPad Pro.
So I finally decided to get iPad Pro the next day. Then, boom!, Apple add a new thing for me to worry about. I like buying the best version of items I love. But having a bad financial decision experience with iPad, I want to be smarter about this.

Bad financial decision experience: I bought the original iPad Air 128 gb when it came out for $1000 (including tax and AppleCare). Used up to 50 gb only, then a month ago, sold it for $300 to get ready to buy iPad Pro today. So, I lost $700.

So, I'm scared now on choosing the best all the time. Now I thought to myself that I shouldn't choose the "best version" but I should choose the "best-for-me version".

I calculated and this is I get:
iPad Pro 12", 256gb, AppleCare, Pencil = $1895.01
iPad Pro 12", 128gb, AppleCare, Pencil = $1669.01

Reasons I want to get iPad Pro 12":
1) Read Comics/Read Novels in big screen before sleep
2) Drawing
3) Anything else that I might learn and become useful later on. So basically, I am hoping that this iPad Pro 12" will last for 3 years at least.

What do you guys think should I get?

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
That price you could just get a surface pro or even a Macbook pro. I didn't realize they were THAT pricey. probably the 128gb though

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

Either one will easily last you 3 years. The biggest question is do you want to spend the extra $200+ dollars on the larger capacity. You only used 50GB on your iPad Air which left you with plenty of storage to spare. It is only logical that if you think you will not be using much more storage on the Pro, then go with the 128GB.

I considered suggesting the rMBP, but since you like the best when it comes to buying something, that would put it considerably higher in price than an iPad Pro 12".

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
With all the cloud storage options out there 128 Gig really is a lot of storage and will allow you to have some movies on your device as well. I don't know that the extra $200 is worth it to you? Also with iPads it is important to keep in mind that Apple doesn't update them the same way as they do with phones, remember when the iPad Air 2 launched? It just happened one day without fanfare or event. I say get what you need for today and don't stress too much about tomorrow. The iPad Pro is a fantastic device, it is super fast and very useful.

EliteTechPro

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
I preferred 128gb is enough for about 1,000 photos and 50 apps , but 256 if you want to go beyond that if you are a power user. And if you are using the iPad pro as your only device better than a Macbook Pro. Im surprised they even have this storage option available

winters07

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
With my128g iPad Pro 4G, loaded with 96 apps, books, pdf, images, videos, and used for sketching, 3-d sculpting and photography, has only used up 16g. If the 4Gmodel had been available on smaller, would have gone with that.

My photography workflow uses the iPP as a temporary photo storage from dslr to lr to desktop.

People who travel with many full-res movies and their entire music catalog report they've used up the 128g on original.

winters07

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
actually, the iPP-large is very cost-effective compared to the Surface and MBP -- the Surface Book is having big-time technical problems (MS reports computer problems are difficult to solve) and the MBP doesn't have a touchscreen ...

pick a device that works for you <== price is then perfect

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I know what that's like. I've bought two iPads (iPad 2 & iPad Air) in cellular because of "what if's". I ended up never using the cellular and with the iPad Air I spend $1000. Ended up selling the air almost a year later for around 600 maybe. If learned you gotta look at what you will use it for. Plus you have to ask yourself do you plan on upgrading when the new 12.9" comes out. Good luck with your choice. I think I'm going with a 128GB silver wifi only.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
128gb should be more than enough for your usage. I would rather save the extra cash and upgrade to the Pro 2 when it comes out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2