Is it smart to go from an iPad Air 2 to the smaller iPad Pro?

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
i currently own an iPad Air 2, after yesterdays keynote, i kind of want to get the smaller iPad Pro, but don't know if it's a smart move.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
just replied on another thread. these keynotes are buy bate. if you come on here more likely you will get told to buy the new one. it depends if you can afford it money wise and if the new features are what you need.

avokodo

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I think it depends on if you need Apple Pencil and the extra speed but if the air 2 does everything you need i would say don't upgrade.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is it smart? That's debatable, depending on your needs. I mean, unless you envision yourself being able to do more with the iPad Pro than you can with the iPad Air 2 then I'd say it would be better to continue using what you already have.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I think the older I get the more practical I get. After reading the specs and features about the 9.7" Pro compared to my Air 2...I'm not too motivated to jump to the Pro. That's just me though...

YMMV

btmosley

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I have the Air 2 as well and have been lusting after the Apple Pencil since its debut. The new 9.7 Pro is very tempting but honestly I do t know if I can justify it. I only buy LTE iOS devices and the price difference between the new 9.7 Pro and MacBook are negligible. I may keep my Air 2 and go for the Mac.

actor90

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I have mixed feelings, the specs are close, but the pencil might be the biggest selling point. If you want to use a good stylist with an iPad, then I would upgrade.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I will be waiting for the next one. My Air 2 is plenty fast and capable. And I don't have any use for the pen at all. So the Air 2 is perfect for me right now. Maybe if they come out with another one at th the end of the year when I'm due for an upgrade.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Upgrading from the iPad Air or earlier iPad is pretty much a no brainer, but the performance increase from the iPad Air 2 is really just incremental with the new A9X. Also, the iPad Pro 9.7" is clocked slightly slower than its larger sibling, and has half its RAM, with just 2GB, the same as the iPad Air 2. So, unless the new Pencil or Smart Keyboard support appeals to you, it probably makes sense to wait for the next iteration. Also, note the new iPad Pro 9.7" has added on a $100 premium for this incremental improvement.

stiffeon

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
After all the research I have done I say unless you really want the pencil it's not worth upgrading if you already have the Air 2. The only reason I am buying the 9.7 Pro is because I haven't owned an iPad before and I want the Pencil so I can replace my handwritten notes for grad school with digital copies. Otherwise I would have never even got into this market and just stayed solely on my Macbook.

tvouge

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
If I had an Air 2 I don't think I'd bite, but that's just me. Coming from a dying galaxy note 10.1 that's three years old, I'm jumping on this one if only for the 256 storage and the pencil support.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Upgrading from the iPad Air or earlier iPad is pretty much a no brainer, but the performance increase from the iPad Air 2 is really just incremental with the new A9X. Also, the iPad Pro 9.7" is clocked slightly slower than its larger sibling, and has half its RAM, with just 2GB, the same as the iPad Air 2. So, unless the new Pencil or Smart Keyboard support appeals to you, it probably makes sense to wait for the next iteration. Also, note the new iPad Pro 9.7" has added on a $100 premium for this incremental improvement.

Yep, I tend to agree. I'm very happy with my Air 2, and because of that and the fact that it's WiFi only, I've decided to simply trade it in on a like-featured cellular Air 2 instead of spending $300+ for the corresponding 9.7" Pro, since I find myself more and more places with my Air 2 that don't have WiFi capability. And, I do most of my "real" work on my Mac, so the pencil & keyboard aren't much of an attraction for me. I'm normally a huge "latest & greatest" kind of guy...but this time, I think I'll chill.