Has anyone noticed a difference in the iPad Pro with 4 gb of ram?

I

iMore Question

Just looking for some opinions before I buy. Has anyone seen a significant difference with the iPad Pro with 4gb of ram?

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I swear... what happened to formulating a clear question?

So let's start this skit:

A significant difference compared to what (which iPad, which other device) ?? Using what app?

Just looking for some opinions before I buy. Has anyone seen a significant difference with the iPad Pro with 4gb of ram?

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I played with the Ipad air 2 and the pro at the Apple store the other day and there is a considerable difference in performance the Pro is very quick and snappy to use.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I came from the 2012 iPad "New" ("The new iPad"), otherwise known as the iPad 3 or Retina iPad with the 30-pin connector.

It had 1GB of RAM and it struggled to keep more than 3-4 apps in memory. I tried a few other iPads and while they were quicker, they still struggled to keep more apps in memory. The iPad Air 2 fared better thanks to 2GB of LPDDR3 instead of 1GB.

Then, we have the iPad Pro, with 4GB of LPDDR4. I actually use one now as my main tablet and there is a serious improvement. I can keep as many as 8 apps in memory, some of which being heavy 3D games with intense graphics. No apps have reloaded yet and games always stay where I left them. Add the fact that it's LPDDR4 along with fast NVMe storage AND the A9X processor and this thing is a speed machine.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that the iPad is almost illegally fast. Nasty-fast nasty. I don't know if this a product of the 4GB of RAM the A9X or a combination but the device has been so fast it's almost scary. It's fun to see animations, transitions, and games just be sliced through by this device. If the size works for you this is definitely the device to have. Also, audio on this device is really really good. Movies and music really benefit from the excellent depth and stereo imaging this device offers. Sound is noticeably better than the Air 2.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that the iPad is almost illegally fast. Nasty-fast nasty. I don't know if this a product of the 4GB of RAM the A9X or a combination but the device has been so fast it's almost scary. It's fun to see animations, transitions, and games just be sliced through by this device. If the size works for you this is definitely the device to have. Also, audio on this device is really really good. Movies and music really benefit from the excellent depth and stereo imaging this device offers. Sound is noticeably better than the Air 2.

Here's the best bit.

I played Real Racing 3 for a bit in the morning. Left my iPad in the afternoon. Before doing so, I switched out from the game and used some other apps.

Came back in the evening and used my Pro. Decided to play RR3 an hour later. And the game is still kept in memory, EXACTLY where I last left it.

Mickeylittle

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
So apparently this is a very valid question after all. Hint Hint!

As for me I notice it as well and in almost any comparison you wish to make you will notice a difference. If I'm not mistaken I remember the utter joy of getting the iPad 2 with 1 gb as compared to the original iPad with only 500 Meg. Talk about apps constantly reloading.

So yes OP if you go with an IPP you will not be disappointed with performance issues when compared to the Air 2 as the combo of new processor, graphics, and ram are quite an improvement.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I noticed considerable differences between my Pro and Air 2. The pro with it's 4gb of ram flies through anything I toss at it - love it :)!

Peter Ramirez1

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
YES!!! Big difference from my iPhone 6 Plus and even my AIR. I can keep so many apps opened and don't have to refresh. And the speed is incredible.

That along with this huge screen is a killer combo.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't like to keep too many apps open simultaneously (no more than...say...5) but the Pro does handle multiple apps with aplomb

Richardio

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I came from the 2012 iPad "New" ("The new iPad"), otherwise known as the iPad 3 or Retina iPad with the 30-pin connector.

It had 1GB of RAM and it struggled to keep more than 3-4 apps in memory. I tried a few other iPads and while they were quicker, they still struggled to keep more apps in memory. The iPad Air 2 fared better thanks to 2GB of LPDDR3 instead of 1GB.

Then, we have the iPad Pro, with 4GB of LPDDR4. I actually use one now as my main tablet and there is a serious improvement. I can keep as many as 8 apps in memory, some of which being heavy 3D games with intense graphics. No apps have reloaded yet and games always stay where I left them. Add the fact that it's LPDDR4 along with fast NVMe storage AND the A9X processor and this thing is a speed machine.

This really annoys me, when iPad 3 came out the iOS did not allow for multitasking. Now they are forcing users to update - the ios9 nag screen was unbelievably obtrusive. You had to just give in and update otherwise it will keep nagging you. Since the update iPad 3 is useless, iPad 4 is noticably slow.

They also added siri to iPad 4 when in the past they kept it exclusive to iPad air.

At least with Android you can opt out of updates. In fact my galaxy s3 has been stuck in android version 4 for 2 years. The good thing with android is that I can use it for very long because there is not force update which causes the devices to become obselete.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
^ There is some truth to that. If I wasn't the type that prefers to upgrade often the alleged planned obsolescence of iOS devices would bother me. As it is now, it's just an excuse for me to have to upgrade. ...and for me, almost any excuse will do.

stoverje

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I see a significant improvement in performance as everyone else has said. I edit Excel spreadsheets with over 10,000 rows and many columns with no problem. I have a terrific anatomy app for medical professionals that is so quick and smooth on the iPad pro, it is awesome. I also can work with full orchestral scores using Notion between the iPad pro and my laptop. These scores would always give me warning messages and have playback problems on the iPad Airs.
I have also run some serious graphics apps and games as others have said and this iPad pro handles them very well. It is an excellent performer.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro