iPad Pro - Dead spot on digitizer..?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Apple most certainly will take care of us as soon as the Engineers become aware of this malfunction.

Everyone who is affected by this defect needs to notify Apple Support and ask to have this issue escalated; It's a "numbers-thing" with Apple Support.

Oh the engineers are aware. It's been a long known issue. You probably won't see this fixed until generation 2.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Garz => do you know for certain Apple Engineers are aware of this defect or just assuming?

I know. There are people I know that had to send them back to apple for engineers to test them before they were replaced. Engineers claimed they could not duplicate the issue. I also have a friend who works in upper level of Apple iOS chat support who confirmed if they were contacted with this issue, engineers wanted the devices shipped to them for testing. I've had this discussion with him. Is this enough clarification?

winters07

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
thanks for your response Honey Beagle: wondering ==>

what brand of stylus
what app did you test in
did you try the location just right of the smart connector

thanks again

compupane

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site

what brand of stylus
what app did you test in

thanks again

It doesn't really matter what brand of stylus. Every stylus with a rubber or mesh tip will exhibit the behavior if used under light/normal pressure.

Several drawing apps have been tested (Notes, Paper, Ink, Adobe SketchPro, etc.).

If the device has the problem, it will be just left of the Smart Connector and about 0.5"-1" from the bottom of the screen.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

My case covers up the connector. I do not which side the connector is on. Why in that location?

what brand of stylus
what app did you test in

thanks again

Just a unbranded one a friend gave to me. No name on the stylis.

Did not test just everything on my iPad Pro works perfectly except for the one application.

My case covers up any connector. I have no idea where the connector.

What is meant try the location just to the right of the connector?

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1459828340.813677.jpg

compupane

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
So either I tweaked the stylus on my head-pointer just right in the last few weeks or Apple somehow miraculously fixed this issue in iOS 9.3.2 (including the betas). Can anyone test theirs to see if the problem remains for you? I could swear it was a hardware issue, but I haven't had mine work so flawlessly, ever.

JaPo11

May 25, 2016
Visit site
I actually noticed today that this problem had resolved and came here to see if others noticed this. i am not noticing the deadspot on my ipad pro any more, and am pretty sure Apple did something. i wonder if Apple somehow tweaked up the sensitivity of the screen in the relevant area, or maybe the entire screen. One thing I am noticing now is there seems to be a noticeable lag between the stylus stroke and the line being drawn. Like the line can't draw as quickly as before and falls behind the stylus if you draw quickly. i wonder if it relates to whatever software fix they implemented to deal with the hardware issue. maybe it's just my imagination. it's better than the dealing with the dead zone though.

Last edited:

winters07

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
wow ... THANKS JoPol11 !!! Yes, the dead-spot seems to be fixed :>)

After update 9.3.2, the dead spot has most definitely changed.

Tested Artrage, Procreate, Notepad, Concepts, Sketchbook, etc.

I'm not seeing any lag in most of the apps that didn't lag before (some drawing apps have had some lag with non-bt styli)

so thanks again for the heads-up; had been so disheartened with Apple about this defect, i had given up hope.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
So either I tweaked the stylus on my head-pointer just right in the last few weeks or Apple somehow miraculously fixed this issue in iOS 9.3.2 (including the betas). Can anyone test theirs to see if the problem remains for you? I could swear it was a hardware issue, but I haven't had mine work so flawlessly, ever.

Apparently is was an OS. All reports I read it was solved with 9.3.2.

JaPo11

May 25, 2016
Visit site
Apparently is was an OS. All reports I read it was solved with 9.3.2.

I suspect it was and remains a hardware issue, but Apple did something on the OS to compensate for it.

I saw nothing on the version notes for 9.3.2 indicating a fix for the screen.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I suspect it was and remains a hardware issue, but Apple did something on the OS to compensate for it.

I saw nothing on the version notes for 9.3.2 indicating a fix for the screen.

They don't notate every single fix but either way the problem doesn't exist anymore. That's all that matters. Whether it was software or hardware.