My first iPad Pro impressions at the Apple Store

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Just came back from my local Apple store in the mall to finally get some hands on time with the iPad Pro. First off its big but not as much as i thought from looking at pictures and review videos. Screen is great of course and having some much more screen real-estate is great. I did notice while holding the iPad pro with my left hand, my arm did get tired from it. I had my hand flat holding on the back of it vertically. But in normal use id have is laying on a table with the smart cover propping it up or in my lap while in bed. I was curious how much available space on the 32gb model and saw that only 20GB was available! I have been considering the 32GB based on price but seeing only 20GB is available, I definitely will be spending the extra &&& on the 128GB version. I think to better understand and get use to the Pro ill have to buy it. I have 14 days to return it if i find that its just not for me. Funny thing is after i put that down, i went to pick up an iPad Mini 2 and boy did that feel weird. I felt like i was holding a slightly stretched 6 Plus LoL. I didn't bother to try the  pencil because i do not plan on using it. Just will be purchasing the small cover and case.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Definitely a cool device -- not for everyone but it's awesome that Apple has one to offer those that need such a device. I'm looking forward to checking one out this week.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Just came back from my local Apple store in the mall to finally get some hands on time with the iPad Pro. First off its big but not as much as i thought from looking at pictures and review videos. Screen is great of course and having some much more screen real-estate is great. I did notice while holding the iPad pro with my left hand, my arm did get tired from it. I had my hand flat holding on the back of it vertically. But in normal use id have is laying on a table with the smart cover propping it up or in my lap while in bed. I was curious how much available space on the 32gb model and saw that only 20GB was available! I have been considering the 32GB based on price but seeing only 20GB is available, I definitely will be spending the extra &&& on the 128GB version. I think to better understand and get use to the Pro ill have to buy it. I have 14 days to return it if i find that its just not for me. Funny thing is after i put that down, i went to pick up an iPad Mini 2 and boy did that feel weird. I felt like i was holding a slightly stretched 6 Plus LoL. I didn't bother to try the  pencil because i do not plan on using it. Just will be purchasing the small cover and case.

Thanks for sharing, mate. That's awesome that you're getting one for yourself; and yes, go for the 128G version.

Cheers.

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to get my 128gb tomorrow after work. I'm working on a new ERP system install at work and need to do some serious process mapping. MS Visio is a great, but VERY clunky tool for process maps...looking to use the iPad Pro to be able to draw these by hand and then converting.

Will let all know how it goes!

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to get my 128gb tomorrow after work. I'm working on a new ERP system install at work and need to do some serious process mapping. MS Visio is a great, but VERY clunky tool for process maps...looking to use the iPad Pro to be able to draw these by hand and then converting.

Will let all know how it goes!

Hey,

Awesome to hear; if I may add, I have done of my thesis charts, process maps, algorithms, and illustrations with OmniGraffle Pro. Now, from what I can tell, OmniGroup's apps have been optimized for the iPad Pro; on a separate note, OmniPlan is robust PM tool worth checking out too.

Cheers.

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey,

Awesome to hear; if I may add, I have done of my thesis charts, process maps, algorithms, and illustrations with OmniGraffle Pro. Now, from what I can tell, OmniGroup's apps have been optimized for the iPad Pro; on a separate note, OmniPlan is robust PM tool worth checking out too.

Thanks for the info and I will certainly check it out!

Cheers.

Texatl

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
The keyboard is great! I played with it last weekend. I would put the key press somewhere between the touch (none) and type (normal) keyboards for the Surface.

Funny thing about the keyboard, it felt odd at first because I am so used to cramped smallish keyboards for the iPad and the mini. I've had Logitech keyboards for both, and use an ultra thin for my Mini right now. Boy did the pro keyboard feel HUGE at first.

The only thing I feel is missing from the keyboard (and this is kinda dumb) is a home button. All the Logitech keyboards have a home button so you didn't have to reach to the devices home button. I kinda like having it, and its one of those things when you get into a groove or flow it's hard to switch. When I get the Pro I will have to look at the Logitech Create keyboard, but... For the size and weight and feel I think the Apple keyboard is a winner. It's sooooooo nice and closes up so small and thin.

I am definitely leaning toward the apple keyboard when I get mine, but will look at the Logitech before I decide.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site

So did you end up spending the extra ampersands?

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I really need to get my rear over to the Apple Store to look at one. I have money saved for one but haven't had time to get one yet. Still up in the air about which keyboard to get.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

how many apps did the store model have ? Also remember they run specific IOS software for built in demos etc.
I will have to look how much space my 128 has.. While i agree about going to 128 im curious what the actual out of the box usable space is
on the 32GB model.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
how many apps did the store model have ? Also remember they run specific IOS software for built in demos etc.
I will have to look how much space my 128 has.. While i agree about going to 128 im curious what the actual out of the box usable space is
on the 32GB model.

Hi,

With all the stock Apple apps installed (iWork, GarageBand, and iMovie) I had roughly 109G left to be used.

My typical first step is to set it as a new iPad and then delete the apps that I will not be using anytime soon (GB, for example).

Cheers!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The keyboard is great! I played with it last weekend. I would put the key press somewhere between the touch (none) and type (normal) keyboards for the Surface.

Funny thing about the keyboard, it felt odd at first because I am so used to cramped smallish keyboards for the iPad and the mini. I've had Logitech keyboards for both, and use an ultra thin for my Mini right now. Boy did the pro keyboard feel HUGE at first.

The only thing I feel is missing from the keyboard (and this is kinda dumb) is a home button. All the Logitech keyboards have a home button so you didn't have to reach to the devices home button. I kinda like having it, and its one of those things when you get into a groove or flow it's hard to switch. When I get the Pro I will have to look at the Logitech Create keyboard, but... For the size and weight and feel I think the Apple keyboard is a winner. It's sooooooo nice and closes up so small and thin.

I am definitely leaning toward the apple keyboard when I get mine, but will look at the Logitech before I decide.

There's a home button in Settings >General >Accessibility >Assistive Touch. You can set it so you triple click the home button to make it disappear and come back. I keep it on my 6s Plus all the time. Comes in handy.
Here's a guide. The button you see in the first image us the home button.

[GUIDE] How To Turn Your iPhone Off If The Power Button Breaks.
http://forums.imore.com/showthread.php?t=338261

Texatl

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
There's a home button in Settings >General >Accessibility >Assistive Touch. You can set it so you triple click the home button to make it disappear and come back. I keep it on my 6s Plus all the time. Comes in handy.
Here's a guide. The button you see in the first image us the home button.

[GUIDE] How To Turn Your iPhone Off If The Power Button Breaks.
http://forums.imore.com/showthread.php?t=338261

Yes I've used this before. I am talking about the physical home button present on the Logitech and other keyboards. i wish Apple would have included one on the pro keyboard. It's a silly request...

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi Gang,

Just to follow up on my previous post, I wanted to add a few thoughts about the Smart Keyboard. Plain & simple, I love it. I love the layout & the key travel, as well as how it blends with my palms. I *really* like this keyboard.; caveat: I have not used the other ones that are available on the market.

When using it, I am able to type fast and comfortable, at least as good as I have been with my MacBook Air's. There's virtually no noticeable click, yet the keys feel very solid and rather hard when pressed; I am capable of typing really fast with it and, more importantly, not bothering anyone with the click-y sound.

On the negative side, I have noticed - few and far between - quirks on the software side. Sometimes, the command-tab would not respond while the keyboard was connected AND actively used (typing an URL in the Safari's address bar). Thankfully (or sadly, depending what you do for a living), this has occurred only in Safari. Coda that I use the most has not posed any problems.

The folding & attaching parts are relatively straightforward; the fabric feels somewhat premium and quite elegant on the outside. Most people whom I have interacted with did not notice to be the keyboard; they usually mistook it as an elaborate screen cover for the Pro.

Lastly & typically of Apple, the keyboard comes in a very slick packaging and you know that they have vested a lot of their time in making it look and feel right to the consumers. Sadly, the availability is nowhere near where it should be given it's the Christmas season upon us.

Overall, I am very pleased with the keyboard and highly recommend it.

Cheers!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2