32GB or 128GB?

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Decided to purchase the 128GB version.

Probably more than I need, but it's better than 32GB.

Hoping I can get the Zagg keyboard since it costs way less than the Apple one.

Awesome, mate. If there's anything that you will never find in abundance, it is the RAM and the storage available to you.

Good choice.

Cheers!

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I picked up the 128Gig Version for AT&T, my worry was that apps may take up more space due to being optimized for a more power hungry device. So far I have had my device for a few hours and can't believe how much I love it.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I got the 128GB Space Grey WiFi only. I still wish I'd gotten the cellular version.

Agreed - but I woke up with the original iPad Air & have always had cellular version (Air 2 & iPad Pro) - (yea yea, I can tether etc etc) but by far better, simpler, more flexible to just have that cellular connectivity.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
4GB of RAM is a lot, especially for an iOS device (4GB is normal for an Android device, 4GB on iOS is a lot).

4GB on iOS is only a lot because Apple puts in the very least amount of RAM they can into their devices. The Pro is the first one that's actually had a decent amount of RAM and it's *amazing* how well it works. Safari tabs don't need constant reloading, apps reload so quickly, etc. Sure, some of that might be related to the processor, but RAM most certainly helps the iOS and other apps work better.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
4GB on iOS is only a lot because Apple puts in the very least amount of RAM they can into their devices. The Pro is the first one that's actually had a decent amount of RAM and it's *amazing* how well it works. Safari tabs don't need constant reloading, apps reload so quickly, etc. Sure, some of that might be related to the processor, but RAM most certainly helps the iOS and other apps work better.

So if the least amount, in this case 4 GB, is "amazing" in regard to how well it works on the iPad Pro, why is it a negative? 2 GB of RAM on my iPhone 6S Plus works amazingly well, in my opinion. Would it be nice to have 4 GB RAM on it? Sure, but it's not necessary for a majority of iPhone users.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
So if the least amount, in this case 4 GB, is "amazing" in regard to how well it works on the iPad Pro, why is it a negative? 2 GB of RAM on my iPhone 6S Plus works amazingly well, in my opinion. Would it be nice to have 4 GB RAM on it? Sure, but it's not necessary for a majority of iPhone users.

Where did I say that it was a negative? I said the 4 GB was amazing on it. And I guess its my bad for forgetting the "usually" in front of 'puts in'. The Pro is the first iPad that finally has enough RAM to make iOS work phenomenally and the iPad Pro fly.

And great that your iPhone 6S Plus works great with 2GB of RAM. Maybe it's because they figured out that 1GB wasn't enough, as the iPhone 6 only had 1GB and they upped it within a year. My iPad Air could certainly have benefited from 2GB of RAM. But, it wasn't a priority with Apple to make sure the Air had enough RAM to do the fun things the Air 2 could. At the time it was built, 1GB was determined sufficient for iOS 7, even though I have to reload tabs if I open more than a couple in Safari; I don't get the better multitasking and whatnot, because 1GB just can't handle it. And, even though the iPad 2 can load up iOS9, everything just chhhuuuuuuugs along because its only got 512MB. Again, because that was deemed adequate enough to run iOS 4 at the time.

Here's the deal. I have Apple products. I like my Apple products. I recommend Apple products to others. That doesn't mean I can't criticize Apple when they make decisions because they're looking for a bigger profit. RAM has been pretty cheap for a while now. They should have added a little extra to the devices that would have really benefited from it and made them a bit more futureproof. It's not as if many people aren't upgrading their devices every year or two as it is. It would have helped out those who can't afford to do so.

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Where did I say that it was a negative? I said the 4 GB was amazing on it. And I guess its my bad for forgetting the "usually" in front of 'puts in'. The Pro is the first iPad that finally has enough RAM to make iOS work phenomenally and the iPad Pro fly.

And great that your iPhone 6S Plus works great with 2GB of RAM. Maybe it's because they figured out that 1GB wasn't enough, as the iPhone 6 only had 1GB and they upped it within a year. My iPad Air could certainly have benefited from 2GB of RAM. But, it wasn't a priority with Apple to make sure the Air had enough RAM to do the fun things the Air 2 could. At the time it was built, 1GB was determined sufficient for iOS 7, even though I have to reload tabs if I open more than a couple in Safari; I don't get the better multitasking and whatnot, because 1GB just can't handle it. And, even though the iPad 2 can load up iOS9, everything just chhhuuuuuuugs along because its only got 512MB. Again, because that was deemed adequate enough to run iOS 4 at the time.

Here's the deal. I have Apple products. I like my Apple products. I recommend Apple products to others. That doesn't mean I can't criticize Apple when they make decisions because they're looking for a bigger profit. RAM has been pretty cheap for a while now. They should have added a little extra to the devices that would have really benefited from it and made them a bit more futureproof. It's not as if many people aren't upgrading their devices every year or two as it is. It would have helped out those who can't afford to do so.

This

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Where did I say that it was a negative?
You did not "say" it was a negative, but you implied it when you stated the following: "4 GB is only a lot because Apple puts in the least amount of RAM they can into their devices".
I said the 4 GB was amazing on it. And I guess its my bad for forgetting the "usually" in front of 'puts in'. The Pro is the first iPad that finally has enough RAM to make iOS work phenomenally and the iPad Pro fly.
Yes, you did say that it was amazing and I followed up by asking the following: "So if the least amount, in this case 4 GB, is amazing..." That is acknowledging your reference to amazing.

And great that your iPhone 6S Plus works great with 2GB of RAM. Maybe it's because they figured out that 1GB wasn't enough, as the iPhone 6 only had 1GB and they upped it within a year.
It could also be business 101. If you're going to maintain a product line, introduce the product with improvements incrementally.
My iPad Air could certainly have benefited from 2GB of RAM. But, it wasn't a priority with Apple to make sure the Air had enough RAM to do the fun things the Air 2 could. At the time it was built, 1GB was determined sufficient for iOS 7, even though I have to reload tabs if I open more than a couple in Safari; I don't get the better multitasking and whatnot, because 1GB just can't handle it. And, even though the iPad 2 can load up iOS9, everything just chhhuuuuuuugs along because its only got 512MB. Again, because that was deemed adequate enough to run iOS 4 at the time.
Okay

No company is beyond criticism, but neither are questionable comments......mine included.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
It could also be business 101. If you're going to maintain a product line, introduce the product with improvements incrementally.

Which goes back to it being all about the money. Instead of giving more than a device needs so it'll stay relevant, they give it juuuuuust enough so it works fine, but.. "man, the new one works *just that* much better I gotta have it, even though my device is only a year old." Even with the iPad Pro. They didn't skimp on memory, its got a great processor, but... <tuba sound>WAAAAAHH waaaaaaahh</tuba sound> it's only got a 1st gen fingerprint scanner. Why? They gave you 4GB of RAM. Need to make up for that cost somewhere, like maybe with parts sitting around from iPhone 6 production instead of making more 2nd Gen fingerprint scanners perhaps?. But also in the fall - "The New iPad Pro - Now with Faster Finger Print Scanner(tm)!"

Apple makes good products. I just wish they'd stop with a lot of the incremental step up stuff that they do.

Richardio

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
128gb all the way, you will end up using the space up easily.

You cannot go back and retrofit more storage space onto the iPad, but you can always buy the keyboard at a later date, I would suggest you "struggle" without a keyboard in the short term and invest in 128gb storage.

32gb would make the iPad useless very soon, also the iPad pro is likely to become your "main" device unlike an iPad which is a secondary device. So you're likely to have most of the stuff on your iPad pro.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen