Click Bait.... Does it replace your

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
While annoying, I'll go with misleading to say the least. I have to vent (slightly) on all these posts and articles about the iPad Pro replacing your laptop or it being better than the Surface Pro, etc.

Replace my laptop
How does anyone know what I do or that this or anything else is truly capable of replacing my laptop? Sure there are some common denominator programs/functions but even within that the levels of usage vary, need to be mobile vary and personal preferences vary so once again, how can an article claim to know/state that this or anything else can replace what I'm using? The click bait headline does one thing well... continue to fuel the opposing sides of Windows, Android & iOS.

The other scenario about this replacing your laptop...from many people I interact with, they chose their laptop via the "Says So" method.
  • My neighbor is in IT & she says this one is the best
  • The person next to me on the train loves his so I got one too
  • I dunno, the price was right so I just bought it

Most people never take the time to match their computing needs (apps, etc) with the device. I'm just saying, do your homework...don't be one of those people who needs to be told what to buy then shortly after blame the device when it doesn't do what you (finally) figure out you need it to do.

Lastly, in case your curious - yes absolutely I'm getting one. The iPad Air 2 has been great for me and now, with a faster processor & bigger screen, the iPad Pro will be my primary go to device throughout my work day.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't see where it says the iPad Pro replaces anything. It can definitely work as a substitute for some people in certain situations. But it won't do everything a laptop can do. Thanks for sharing.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
While annoying, I'll go with misleading to say the least. I have to vent (slightly) on all these posts and articles about the iPad Pro replacing your laptop or it being better than the Surface Pro, etc.

Replace my laptop
How does anyone know what I do or that this or anything else is truly capable of replacing my laptop? Sure there are some common denominator programs/functions but even within that the levels of usage vary, need to be mobile vary and personal preferences vary so once again, how can an article claim to know/state that this or anything else can replace what I'm using? The click bait headline does one thing well... continue to fuel the opposing sides of Windows, Android & iOS.

The other scenario about this replacing your laptop...from many people I interact with, they chose their laptop via the "Says So" method.
  • My neighbor is in IT & she says this one is the best
  • The person next to me on the train loves his so I got one too
  • I dunno, the price was right so I just bought it

Most people never take the time to match their computing needs (apps, etc) with the device. I'm just saying, do your homework...don't be one of those people who needs to be told what to buy then shortly after blame the device when it doesn't do what you (finally) figure out you need it to do.

Lastly, in case your curious - yes absolutely I'm getting one. The iPad Air 2 has been great for me and now, with a faster processor & bigger screen, the iPad Pro will be my primary go to device throughout my work day.

Nicely put, mate. I believe the problem that you are referring has been brushed by the tech reviewers for far too long. Naturally, the "replacing one's laptop" is a subjectively perceived value. For instance, the Pro will most definitely replace my laptop (an aging MBA) and have no doubt that I will be able to do everything I have been with my laptop. I could list a number of activities that I do with my laptop and it would not even be anywhere close your needs, right? What the reviews have been focused, I think, is its raw potential of replacing the essentials to the point that you might not opt out. Judging by what I have seen to date, I have no problem with accepting that, otherwise pretentious, claim.

Overall, you're right. It's an artificially created problem that is best addressed by test-driving the device and critically assessing your needs. In all fairness, the latter is a tough job.

Cheers & thanks for bringing an interesting topic.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for sharing. The way I see it, if Apple wanted the two ecosystems combined (iOS and OS X) they would have put touch screens on MacBooks or loaded iPads with OS X. They would have melded the operating systems into one. Neither has happened because there is a demand for both and because Apple sees a separate purpose for both. Are there Mac users that could be better served with an iPad Pro? Absolutely. But this is not the case for the majority of us. The tech-loving nerd in me would love a shiny new iPad Pro but the realist in me knows that my 6s Plus and my MacBook cover all of the bases.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
For what *I* do, yes, it will most definitely replace my MBA 2012. But I'm not ready to shell out the $$$ yet, seeing as I just lost my health insurance and I need to be responsible until I'm back on more secure footing.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
For what *I* do, yes, it will most definitely replace my MBA 2012. But I'm not ready to shell out the $$$ yet, seeing as I just lost my health insurance and I need to be responsible until I'm back on more secure footing.

Health insurance? Meh, buy the iPad Pro, open Safari and bookmark WebMD or just download the app

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Until Apple opens up the file system on their mobile products, its hard to imagine any of their tablets replacing a laptop. Even for my light users that are mainly in the browser and email, they do need to save files and don't want to rely on iCloud to store them. (I am the IT administrator for my company)

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Didn't Apple always say that they'd never add a touchscreen to the MacBook because it's too awkward to touch and swipe on a vertical screen?

But... isn't that exactly the configuration they're suggesting as a PC-replacement, minus the trackpad?

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Until Apple opens up the file system on their mobile products, its hard to imagine any of their tablets replacing a laptop. Even for my light users that are mainly in the browser and email, they do need to save files and don't want to rely on iCloud to store them. (I am the IT administrator for my company)

Can you elaborate about saving files? I can save files locally, to Dropbox, to One Drive, to my Evernote, etc... I don't feel limited in any way 🤔

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Didn't Apple always say that they'd never add a touchscreen to the MacBook because it's too awkward to touch and swipe on a vertical screen?

But... isn't that exactly the configuration they're suggesting as a PC-replacement, minus the trackpad?

Hi,

If you looked at this aspect only considering the screen orientation, then yes, you would make a point.

But there are so many other things to adding touch (a quick example: the responsive web apps design principles because of the touch aspect). As I recall, Tim Cook himself has made pronouncements about how the OS X has not been optimized for touch. As a consequence, you would arrive in a scenario where you would literally find using your MacBook, or whichever Mac laptop, at odds with ergonomic use. I would also argue that the iOS is far better optimized in terms of battery consumption relative to OS X - but that's just my observation. Adding an extra layer of sensors on screen without rethinking how one can leverage such screen and without software support at this point, I would say those Apple comments you are referring are fairly accurate.

That being said, I personally know people who would still love a MacBook (Air) with the touch capability - plain vanilla OS X.

Cheers!

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Can you elaborate about saving files? I can save files locally, to Dropbox, to One Drive, to my Evernote, etc... I don't feel limited in any way ��

I'm talking about a real local file browser that I can manage myself on my mobile device. Try to create a folder in iCloud drive and tell me how that works for you, or try to save manually to an existing folder. I don't want iOS to determine where my document lives based on the associated app, or dumping everything in the root of the drive. Currently I can manage this on my Macbook and have it sync to the mobile devices, but we are talking being able to replace a laptop with an iPad.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm talking about a real local file browser that I can manage myself on my mobile device. Try to create a folder in iCloud drive and tell me how that works for you, or try to save manually to an existing folder. I don't want iOS to determine where my document lives based on the associated app, or dumping everything in the root of the drive. Currently I can manage this on my Macbook and have it sync to the mobile devices, but we are talking being able to replace a laptop with an iPad.

I see that being of a hindrance, although I personally do not mind at all. iOS operates on the "document" basis as the basic data entity, as opposed to OS X and ordinary files and folder containers. And yes, I am aware that the "document" entity is a file and its descriptor under the hood ;)

UPDATE:

As a side note, it appears that the Lightning connector on the Pro supports USB3.0 speeds; I would say, a quite essential feature for transferring big chunks of data.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

They also said they wouldn't make huge phones.
Sent using my 5.5 inch iPhone 6s Plus

Jeff Hubert

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Very well put. I'll be using mine to replace my laptop when I travel. This will be a blessing the next time I fly. The last time I travelled internationally I took my laptop and it was the most annoying experience ever trying to get through the TSA. I had to remove it from my carry on bag, then remove its protective padded shell, power it on, have it manually inspected by a TSA officer in behind a room divider, then wait, then power it off, reinsert it into is protective shell, power it off, put it back in my carry on bag. Had to do this not once, not twice but THREE times. I also took my iPad mini and no one cared about the iPad. Didn't even take it out of the carry on. The iPad Pro will be a joy when travelling!

Jeff Hubert

May 24, 2013
Visit site

Its to bad that people put artificial limitations on the way they use things in order to avoid learning new things. You can easily save files on a iPad, no access to a file system needed. I bet they still want to use floppy's ;-)

Jeff Hubert

May 24, 2013
Visit site

That's so old school. I remember when I was a kid and wanted to work on my own vehicle. I got over that. But hey whatever works for you is the right way to move forward.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I fully understand what you are saying that is that way it has been for ever since my Tandy 1000 days and my 40mb hard drive running DOS.
It a control thing we are so used to having that control that not having that access makes you feel restricted. It took me quite some time to get over this and understand you don't need it. All Apps can store the file In that app or you have drop box iCloud etc. no real need for file system.
Honestly I have not used my laptop at home maybe more than 2 times in a year.
The only real limitation I see is not having iTunes .. It's really only reason I still keep a computer if they made a app and adapter to able to restore other devices via iPad or restore it self then it would eliminate the need for a computer all together.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I get it guys. Personally, its not a big deal for me and I could adapt pretty easily because I understand way to make the iOS ecosystem do what I need. I could not run a tablet only just because of the tools that I run, and the virtual machines that I need locally. Im just speaking from an IT perspective and all the complaints that I would get if we asked people to turn in their laptops and handed them an iPad. People get used to working in certain ways, and yes they are resistant to change. But you are going to find that in many companies. It was hard enough to get people to let go of Windows XP and go to Windows 7, and now from Windows 7 to Windows 10... I could only imagine my daily headaches transitioning people from Windows to iOS. People are scared of change in the business world. They think its going to stop them from getting work done or slow them down.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen