Click Bait.... Does it replace your

dvcrob

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I do use my iPad 9 out of 10 times over my PC. When to comes down to it I am not sure I can fully trust the cloud to store all my photos, videos, personal documents. I have no problem using the cloud to access or backup my files, but I feel the need for a local copy.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I do use my iPad 9 out of 10 times over my PC. When to comes down to it I am not sure I can fully trust the cloud to store all my photos, videos, personal documents. I have no problem using the cloud to access or backup my files, but I feel the need for a local copy.

I'm dating myself here but I recall similar feelings (not mine) when AT&T rolled out email to employees. Being in the IT Organization, one of the proposals to help fund computers was that, there would be less of a need for printers, less ink and less paper. Well, within weeks of computers getting rolled out, the need for paper, ink & printers went UP because an email or document wasn't real unless it was printed. Seems like for many, in a way, we're still back in the early 90's.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
The common need in an office is to share documents for review and editing. The common solution being to have a central file server on the local network where the documents (Word, Excel, PDFs, etc.) are stored. Each user uses the file browser on their PC to find, open, edit and save documents on the files server.

The goal being for employees to have access to the most current files for appropriate projects within the company at all times.

How might this functionality be replicated if the users were using iPads instead of PCs?

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The common need in an office is to share documents for review and editing. The common solution being to have a central file server on the local network where the documents (Word, Excel, PDFs, etc.) are stored. Each user uses the file browser on their PC to find, open, edit and save documents on the files server.

The goal being for employees to have access to the most current files for appropriate projects within the company at all times.

How might this functionality be replicated if the users were using iPads instead of PCs?

Off the top of my head, you've got Dropbox & OneDrive

https://www.dropbox.com/ipad
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/OneDrive-for-iOS-FAQ-08d5c5b2-ccc6-40eb-a244-fe3597a3c247

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Off the top of my head, you've got Dropbox & OneDrive

I've been experimenting with both, and both work rather well for most things. It seems DropBox and Microsoft collaborated to get their apps working together, but I'd worry about other apps being supported as readily. But at least it seems like I can open and edit Word and Excel documents from DropBox, and have them save directly back to the "server" without having to forward a copy from app to app. That's nice.

Problem is, many companies (including my employer) won't allow storing files on a third-party cloud locaton. To replace PCs with iPads at my company, we'd need a way to open and save documents from/to a Windows PC shared folder. Is there a way to do that?

It does look like iOS devices can access folders shared from OSX Server at least. The option is kinda unintuitively hidden in Settings, Mail Contacts Calendars, Add Account, Other, Add OS X Server Account. They must not want anyone to ever find it, lol. Kinda neat though, especially if you have an all-Mac office.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I've been experimenting with both, and both work rather well for most things. It seems DropBox and Microsoft collaborated to get their apps working together, but I'd worry about other apps being supported as readily. But at least it seems like I can open and edit Word and Excel documents from DropBox, and have them save directly back to the "server" without having to forward a copy from app to app. That's nice.

Problem is, many companies (including my employer) won't allow storing files on a third-party cloud locaton. To replace PCs with iPads at my company, we'd need a way to open and save documents from/to a Windows PC shared folder. Is there a way to do that?

It does look like iOS devices can access folders shared from OSX Server at least. The option is kinda unintuitively hidden in Settings, Mail Contacts Calendars, Add Account, Other, Add OS X Server Account. They must not want anyone to ever find it, lol. Kinda neat though, especially if you have an all-Mac office.

Hi,

Been there & had the same issue with the storage - it's understandable as the company wants to keep their files within their Intranet. Any chance that at least they could provide a WebDAV share, or perhaps at least opt for Sharepoint?

The option of adding an OS X Server account has been there for a while, I think; agreed, it's definitely your first go-to solution, unless you have a Server OS X running around.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods