Here is why I didn't buy the iPad Pro

JustZE

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I went to Apple Store to buy the iPad Pro, and I was really excited to get it, when I start playing with the one on display, I noticed a black spots when I touch the screen with a little more pressure (I thought it has 3D Touch) .. End up going home without it.

My video to show the black spots: http://youtu.be/W_F5xlGWyEUImageUploadedByiMore Forums1447312925.790996.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While at the Apple Store, you could have easily had a genius bring one out from the back, power it on for you to see if it also displayed a black dot. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't imagine Apple made it that way by design, and I don't recommend making a purchase decision by something funny on one store display model. Those things get tampered with daily and you never know what it's been through.
Thank you for sharing your experience though. I hope that issue is localized to the display model in your video.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your video. a potentially defective unit batch leading to a change of heart; there are first batches that expose certain problems that clearly must have been it.

For the record, both of my current iPads exhibit the same problem, and I don't personally think that this is a technical issue, rather a typical behaviour when too much physical pressure has been applied to the touch screen. I am almost positive that other iPad models that do not have 3D Touch have the same "issue".

Why did you not talk about this problem with someone at the Apple Store?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your video. a potentially defective unit batch leading to a change of heart; there are first batches that expose certain problems that clearly must have been it.

For the record, both of my current iPads exhibit the same problem, and I don't personally think that this is a technical issue, rather a typical behaviour when too much physical pressure has been applied to the touch screen. I am almost positive that other iPad models that do not have 3D Touch have the same "issue".

Cheers!

You quoted the wrong person. That's the question I asked as well. I'd like to hear Apple's explanation.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
You quoted the wrong person. That's the question I asked as well. I'd like to hear Apple's explanation.

Yeah, my bad; it's because I changed the contents of my reply a few times; originally it was a follow-up to your post. Fixing right now.

UPDATE: fixed, thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You can make this happen on pretty much any LCD you apply pressure to.
i did it right now to my Acer Flat screen computer monitor ...

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Cheers!

There is nothing "wrong" with the screen but just an inherent effect of using LCD technology. You're always going to have the ripple effect if you touch the LCD screen ( not the glass or plastic that is covering the screen). With the iPad Air 2 if you pushed down hard enough you can see it as well with the iPhone 6 Plus. I bet with enough pressure on the iPhone 6S and 6S plus you will have the same thing.

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
You can make this happen on pretty much any LCD you apply pressure to.
i did it right now to my Acer Flat screen computer monitor ...

iPad Air 2 will do that too with enough pressure.

There is nothing "wrong" with the screen but just an inherent effect of using LCD technology. You're always going to have the ripple effect if you touch the LCD screen ( not the glass or plastic that is covering the screen). With the iPad Air 2 if you pushed down hard enough you can see it as well with the iPhone 6 Plus. I bet with enough pressure on the iPhone 6S and 6S plus you will have the same thing.

But...but...but....spots!

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

You are correct and I entirely agree, thus why I added the second paragraph to my post. I only stated those remarks as a "worst-case" scenario. I believe the symptoms presented in the video are perfectly normal for any LCD screen (and my own experience supports that).

Cheers!

Last edited:

JustZE

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

Yes, but if you touch an iPad air and iPad pro with the same amount of pressure, you will see the difference, you need more pressure on the iPad air to get the spots .. btw I didn't get any spots on my iPhone 6s plus even with too much pressure