IPad Pro, or MacBook + iPad Air 2?

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been planning to get a new iPad. I've had an iPad since the first one came out, and take it everywhere. Right now I have an iPad Mini 2, which works fine. But my husband has an iPad 2 that is beyond slow. So I told him I'd get a new iPad, and give him my mini.

But... I've also been really needing a laptop for my business, so have been looking at the new MacBook. I mainly do some light writing and Internet stuff. Nothing terribly complicated.

Now I'm wondering if, instead of getting a MacBook and an iPad Air 2, I could get away with just getting an iPad Pro. Obviously, it would be a lot cheaper! My biggest concern is that some websites just seem to be wonky on iOS Safari. Is that an iOS issue or a Safari issue? Is there any way around that?

Any thoughts?

Laura

W1ck3D86

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Just get a MacBook air. Cheaper then the MacBook and bigger screen if u choose the 13 inch version.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Get a third-party browser for your iPad that lets you request the desktop version of sites.

Chrome for iOS does that, as do some others.

If all you're doing for work is light writing and browsing, you absolutely can get away with an iPad Pro. But you may find it annoying having to prop it up. That's my issue with my Surface Pro 3 -- the kickstand is a little more annoying than the clamshell form of a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Last edited:

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
THANK YOU!! I had no idea I could do that with the Chrome app. I had downloaded it a while back, but never used it. I'll play around with it...by November, I should definitely know if iOS will be sufficient!

I do think it's a little strange that the iPad Pro apparently has to stand up when you use the keyboard. I type on my mini quite a bit, with or without a Bluetooth keyboard, and usually keep it in the more horizontal position...

Laura

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
You can do that with Safari as well. In iOS 8, just go to the site you want, tap the address bar, scroll up, and you'll see an option to request the desktop version of the site.

In iOS 9, you just tap the share button (box with the arrow pointing up) and there's an option in that menu to do the same.

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I'd get the iPad pro.Its cooler,lighter and thinner(you can detach the Smart Keyboard,perfect when you don't need it)
I think you'd get the apple pencil too.It would be awesome to edit documents with it.
iOS Safari is rather terrific.And I've heard it's more optimized than the Mac version.
Don't forget the iPad pro has an display even bigger than that of the MacBook!The 4:3 format will make webpages far bigger than on the MacBook.
And you can also get 4g LTE with the iPad!!
P.S. You can request the desktop version of any website on iOS Safari too
iMoreAppImg_20150913_213213.jpgiMoreAppImg_20150913_213213.jpg

Mustafa Sowan

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
there is a great browser called Puffin that runs flash smoothly, so when you use that browser you won't be able to tell the difference between an iPad or Mac. and its available for iPhones too so you can download it and give it a try before you buy the iPad