Is iPad Pro tough enough to run OS X?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Turns out somebody's already figured out how to do it on an iPad air and Apples is already working on it. See this link https://tidbits.com/article/14617 its pretty cool!!!

Keep in mind that the article is from 2014 so there’s no guarantee that what is essentially a hack will work with later versions of iOS or OSX/macOS. I also don’t recommend this for anyone who isn’t an experienced user.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Turns out somebody's already figured out how to do it on an iPad air and Apples is already working on it. See this link https://tidbits.com/article/14617 its pretty cool!!!

I like how the article said that the drawback would be processing power, and that they would need to get the A-series chips with more power before the jump would be viable. And now today, the fanless and power efficient A10X Fusion is rivaling Intel i7 chips...

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I like how the article said that the drawback would be processing power, and that they would need to get the A-series chips with more power before the jump would be viable. And now today, the fanless and power efficient A10X Fusion is rivaling Intel i7 chips...

Crazy what a few years will do. Even my ancient 1st gen 12.9” iPad Pro is a beast.

cyansmiles

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
Crazy what a few years will do. Even my ancient 1st gen 12.9” iPad Pro is a beast.

Well... I hope someone tries it. It sounds like it would be awesome. I noticed someone even got a mouse to work in the corner (I think that is what it said, I read it last week). I was just courious about the idea. Obviously Microsoft copied Apple, but the idea of having a computer and pad in one, really is a way to to go. There are programes I cannot run on my ipad that will work on a full computer. I get they are not the same, but why spend so much money twice.

Anyways, if this article is that old, and apple is already experimenting with this on an iPad air 2, who is to say they are not still experimenting with the idea.

they once said they would never make a big phone, and now they have one of the biggest (not the biggest). Altough, the ipad pro 12.9 is one of the biggest pads (not the biggiest of course).

anyways.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well... I hope someone tries it. It sounds like it would be awesome. I noticed someone even got a mouse to work in the corner (I think that is what it said, I read it last week). I was just courious about the idea. Obviously Microsoft copied Apple, but the idea of having a computer and pad in one, really is a way to to go. There are programes I cannot run on my ipad that will work on a full computer. I get they are not the same, but why spend so much money twice.

Anyways, if this article is that old, and apple is already experimenting with this on an iPad air 2, who is to say they are not still experimenting with the idea.

they once said they would never make a big phone, and now they have one of the biggest (not the biggest). Altough, the ipad pro 12.9 is one of the biggest pads (not the biggiest of course).

anyways.

Very true. I’ve invested a lot of money having both an iPad Pro and a MacBook Pro. A way to integrate both operating systems would be awesome, but I don’t see Apple wanting to cannibalize their own sales by officially allowing it, at least not at the moment. Eventually I can see iOS and macOS being one single OS.

My original response was simply “proceed with caution.” I wasn’t arguing that it isn’t an interesting concept or that it shouldn’t be attempted, only that the article is dated and you should know what you’re doing and be okay with the remote possibility of bricking your device.

cyansmiles

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
I don't think it will cannibalize their market. I guess I could be wrong. It is not everyone that would do it. Any honestly, it would sell a lot of devices (I definely dont seem them going backwarks). Keep inmind, eventually these get so powerful, we are always writing blogs about "why I should upgrade" again. Most people are very slow to change or upgrade. I do see your point though.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Very true. I’ve invested a lot of money having both an iPad Pro and a MacBook Pro. A way to integrate both operating systems would be awesome, but I don’t see Apple wanting to cannibalize their own sales by officially allowing it, at least not at the moment. Eventually I can see iOS and macOS being one single OS.

I don't think I see iOS on iPhone and iPod going this route, converging with macOS. But with iPad, we are already seeing Mac-like features exclusively on iPad. If Apple were to initiate a software convergence, it would be with specifically the iPad version of iOS. And I think the convergence is already happening. This is just a guess, but I think this would happen not on the iOS on our phones but on an evolved version for future iPads. For that to be true, then the Mac-like dock and Drag & Drop won't be the only things that the iPad will be getting as iPad-only software enhancements. In the next iterations of iOS, the iOS for iPad will separate more and more from iOS on the phone until it has evolved into its own thing. And each Mac-like feature will make it one step closer until one day we will realize that the convergence happened over years, starting from iOS 11 (technically before that to be honest).

Half vampire... half lycan... but stronger than both! — Singe

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I see iOS on iPhone and iPod going this route, converging with macOS. But with iPad, we are already seeing Mac-like features exclusively on iPad. If Apple were to initiate a software convergence, it would be with specifically the iPad version of iOS. And I think the convergence is already happening. This is just a guess, but I think this would happen not on the iOS on our phones but on an evolved version for future iPads. For that to be true, then the Mac-like dock and Drag & Drop won't be the only things that the iPad will be getting as iPad-only software enhancements. In the next iterations of iOS, the iOS for iPad will separate more and more from iOS on the phone until it has evolved into its own thing. And each Mac-like feature will make it one step closer until one day we will realize that the convergence happened over years, starting from iOS 11 (technically before that to be honest).

Half vampire... half lycan... but stronger than both! — Singe

Totally agree. Well said, my friend!

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Conspiracy theory:
iPad will have its own OS in the years to come

It already does in many ways. I think it’ll still run “iOS” but we are bound to see a gradual separation between iOS for iPhone and iOS for iPad in the years to come. iOS 11 is just the beginning.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods