Rolling in the grave..

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Surprised (glad?) there isn't more chatter about the inclusion of these elements at the event:

- Adobe
- Microsoft
- A Pen

I was excited for all 3. And last year we got big phones.

Apple is successfully finding its way post Steve.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Surprised (glad?) there isn't more chatter about the inclusion of these elements at the event:

- Adobe
- Microsoft
- Pencil

I was excited for all 3. And last year we got big phones.

Apple is successfully finding its way post Steve.

There you go.

Steve was a big fan of MS Office on the Mac. He even lobbied Gates to do so.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Finding it's way? lol... :rotfl:

Steve Jobs never addressed the idea of a drawing pad style system integrated with any of the products...he stood firmly against using a stylus for basic functionality on any of the iOS devices, and so far, nothing has changed from that idea set. The Apple Pencil costs $100...which means it's an accessory for a specific purpose. It makes the iPad Pro (hopefully/theoretically) into a wacom style drawing tablet. Nobody is going to buy a $100 stylus for basic functionality, so your logic on this is flawed (which isn't surprising at all really).

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Finding it's way? lol... :rotfl:

Steve Jobs never addressed the idea of a drawing pad style system integrated with any of the products...he stood firmly against using a stylus for basic functionality on any of the iOS devices, and so far, nothing has changed from that idea set. The Apple Pencil costs $100...which means it's an accessory for a specific purpose. It makes the iPad Pro (hopefully/theoretically) into a wacom style drawing tablet. Nobody is going to buy a $100 stylus for basic functionality, so your logic on this is flawed (which isn't surprising at all really).

Dude, try one time not to stick a personal dig into a post. Try it.

Steve was adamant that iPad would not get a pen. It was so important to him personally that it went into the training for Apple retail. I heard from people that had that this training about not just what to say when customers ask for a stylus but to also how to explain why there isn't a stylus.

Behind that the message was multitouch was the differentiator. It served a purpose and now they can move past it.

But you go ahead and turn an innocuous, interesting topic into a silly unproductive back and forth.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft and Apple history is an awesome topic. Mixed in with genuine collaboration is vigorous competition.

ITunes runs poorly on Windows compared to Mac. Vice Versa for Office. Until recently where Office is improving.

Microsoft is a better company for embracing ios despite their own hardware play.

Adobe will be better off without Flash (as an AIR dev I cringe at the downside of that).

So yeah, it's a big change in how Apple is functioning post Steve. And sure it's a cycle of sorts. We benefit from more platforms and more publishers. I think it's fantastic.

(Despite Sean's comments about explaining why the semantics of what makes a tablet a stylus capable device vs another or for some reason the price of the stylus).

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Steve also said a smaller iPad was DOA, he didn't like buttons on a mouse, hugely successful company, great products and innovative solutions, but he isn't the end all of the tech world. Apple had to and in fact has moved on from his legacy to expand the product portfolio in ways he would likely never would have approved. I personally don't see the need for a stylus/pencil on the iPad, but who knows I may play with one at the store and actually get it just because I may use it at times for something I want to do.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I have one for iPad now but it is really only useful for drawing. The apple pencil may be more useful. I have used drawing tablets as input for mac and that is more useful. Perhaps it's better in similar ways. Certainly a different putting the well featured stylus right on the screen will surpass both the drawing pads and dumb stylus.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Steve also said a smaller iPad was DOA, he didn't like buttons on a mouse, hugely successful company, great products and innovative solutions, but he isn't the end all of the tech world. Apple had to and in fact has moved on from his legacy to expand the product portfolio in ways he would likely never would have approved. I personally don't see the need for a stylus/pencil on the iPad, but who knows I may play with one at the store and actually get it just because I may use it at times for something I want to do.

Apple has definitely moved on from many of the things Steve Jobs stood firmly against in the past...but the "stylus" argument isn't one of them because the Apple Pencil isn't a simple stylus, and is not intended for basic usage/function on the iPad. It is specifically intended to be a Wacom competitor, period.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
John Siracusa on this week's ATP on Stylus: "Give it a year or two it will trickle down [to other iPads]".

He further speculated that Apple will probably never sell the stylus for the phone but if they did, his mom would use it today.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
For a tablet that big, it just makes sense to have this stylus/pen/pencil or whatever you want to call it.

Remember that Steve Jobs was against a stylus for a display that was only 3 1/2 inches. It made plenty of sense to have a screen like that work with multi-touch without the need of a stylus.

IanRip

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I think the charging design for the pencil is laughable, can you imagine having to charge it and use the ipad at the same time, who approved this design WTF

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Steve was the father of the iPhone, obviously. Additionally, he was keenly aware of what consumers wanted. And he was very willing to evolve his baby.
But Steve is gone. He would have never expected Apple to remain in stasis. That would have meant the death of the company he loved.

So no. I don't feel he is rolling anywhere. Rather, I think he's smiling at Tim and whispering in his ear "well done....can't wait to see what you come up with next."

After all.....look at the HUGE success of the larger sizes.....something Steve did NOT espouse.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6 while I wait for my NEW AWESOME GORGEOUS SEXY 128GB iPhone 6s Plus in Rose Gold

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly this is a no win situation with some people.
If Apple does something different, it's instantly compared to what people think Steve would do or previously said he would do.
If Apple stays in exactly the same direction as when Steve was in charge, then Apple is stagnant.

Can't win for losing. SMH.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6 while I wait for my NEW AWESOME GORGEOUS SEXY 128GB iPhone 6s Plus in Rose Gold

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Or maybe the OP (me) is happy for the new cooperation with Adobe, Microsoft and this isn't meant as a critique of Apple at all. The hardware changes are great. Their needs at the time - multitouch as the key differentiator - are no longer as important.

Another version of - we get copy and paste when we are ready tondo it right. Performance, stability being the prior priority.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Or maybe the OP (me) is happy for the new cooperation with Adobe, Microsoft and this isn't meant as a critique of Apple at all. The hardware changes are great. Their needs at the time - multitouch as the key differentiator - are no longer as important.

Another version of - we get copy and paste when we are ready tondo it right. Performance, stability being the prior priority.

I can embrace the cooperative spirit with Microsoft and even Adobe as long as Apple hold fast to "no Flash, ever" mantra. Fortunately for technology, Flash is so bad, buggy and vulnerable that people are abandoning ship fast.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I can embrace the cooperative spirit with Microsoft and even Adobe as long as Apple hold fast to "no Flash, ever" mantra. Fortunately for technology, Flash is so bad, buggy and vulnerable that people are abandoning ship fast.

Agreed. (Cries inconsolably for loss of flash games).

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Apple has definitely moved on from many of the things Steve Jobs stood firmly against in the past...but the "stylus" argument isn't one of them because the Apple Pencil isn't a simple stylus, and is not intended for basic usage/function on the iPad. It is specifically intended to be a Wacom competitor, period.

Sean, you need to help Walt Mossberg out on the Apple Pencil. He called it a 'stylus' and flat out accused Apple of actually copying Microsoft. This upstart who calls himself a journalist has no business covering Apple. The nerve of this guy.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/11/9310119/tim-cook-apple-iphone-6s-event

Do you need me to find his email address?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sean, you need to help Walt Mossberg out on the Apple Pencil. He called it a 'stylus' and flat out accused Apple of actually copying Microsoft. This upstart who calls himself a journalist has no business covering Apple. The nerve of this guy.

What I learned this week about Tim Cook?s Apple | The Verge

Do you need me to find his email address?

He's the online blog equivalent of a shock jock. He "takes on" subject matter that gets him exposure, and this approach is no different. He called out CVS back in the day for not quickly jumping on the band wagon with smart phone payment methods (IE: Apple Pay) as if CVS gave two sh*ts what he thought.

I mean the Apple Pencil technically is a stylus for a person who has no use for it in relation to a drawing tablet, and it probably seems absurd in that regard. My Cintiq pen is probably "just a stylus" to those people too...which is pretty funny, but whatever. I hear the same argument when I talk to my sister in terms of cars...her minivan is a mode of transportation with no soul or character, just a literal tool for getting to point A to point B...trying to explain to her my love affair with my jeep or M3 is like explaining this stuff about the "stylus" to anyone who doesn't use one for such.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
He's the online blog equivalent of a shock jock. He "takes on" subject matter that gets him exposure, and this approach is no different. He called out CVS back in the day for not quickly jumping on the band wagon with smart phone payment methods (IE: Apple Pay) as if CVS gave two sh*ts what he thought.

I mean the Apple Pencil technically is a stylus for a person who has no use for it in relation to a drawing tablet, and it probably seems absurd in that regard. My Cintiq pen is probably "just a stylus" to those people too...which is pretty funny, but whatever. I hear the same argument when I talk to my sister in terms of cars...her minivan is a mode of transportation with no soul or character, just a literal tool for getting to point A to point B...trying to explain to her my love affair with my jeep or M3 is like explaining this stuff about the "stylus" to anyone who doesn't use one for such.

Yeah he's a quack. Kara is slightly better but even more annoying. I just thought it was funny that this seemed on topic and he and Steve were on first name basis.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah he's a quack. Kara is slightly better but even more annoying. I just thought it was funny that this seemed on topic and he and Steve were on first name basis.

He's a journalist...and a very successful one at that. I can't take anything away from him in that regard outside of the fact that he relies on drama to keep himself relevant in the scene. I have a friend who is a local sports journalist for the AJC...we've been good friends for the better part of the last 20 years...and I find his articles unbearable and hilarious, and I tell him often. He's about as biased a sports journalist that one could be without being fired for such, and his hard on for the SEC makes me want to vomit most times, but I read it because I enjoy getting bitter and then calling him a twit when I see him...I'm sure Mr. Mossberg has people like that around him too.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73