iPad Pro: Priced too high?

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Priced too high for me to buy it, but that's the point.

Get people who really want it to buy this generation, and maybe I'll buy it a couple of iterations down the road.

This year my Apple upgrades are an iPad Mini 4 (my first mini) and an iPhone 6s Plus (my first plus). Moving down in size from an Air and up from a 6.

I don't think I'll want a Pro, but maybe the use cases will persuade me later on. Did buy a first-gen iPad and a first-gen Apple Watch, so sometimes I bite early.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Eh it's very Apple biased ..... Write something mildly against Apple and you get every fanboy screaming at you because you said something bad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not quite, I've argued the downsides of all different devices/OS. However, the people here know it's just my opinion. It's never stated as fact because my feelings aren't factual.

I've had arguments, disagreements, etc but at the end of the day, it's just that. A variance in opinions.

Respect everyone, no matter if they're the white to your black. 🤐🤗🤓

Omg. I love these new emotes!!!...

Oops. Off topic.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
It's a fact ..... No fighting against it specially when the cheapest MacBook Air is $800 compared to a Windows laptop at around $300-$400 when you take the crap out of the equation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have those 300-400 machines. They stink compared to our Macs. Even compared to a 500 Mini. Only problem with the Mini is the soldered RAM. The 2 systems aren't comparable by price or quality. Just like the tablets.

blasted11

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Too much bickering. C'mon folks. We all obviously love technology here,and everybody has different tastes/likes/dislikes...just like in cuisine,cars etc. We live in an incredibly rapid, technologically advancing age right now and everyone benefits....,and as for me...Im not specific to any one platform/brand. When a reputable company makes something that I really like/want,I research and buy it if it is for me. I've had every iPhone since the iPhone,and 3 different iPads. I love Apple devices.But I also build my own windows gaming pc's and I love those. My laptop is a pc and I love it. I love my Apple watch and will probably get the next version.
There are positives and negatives to both windows devices and Apple devices,which differ user to user.
my 2 cents

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
When people's argument runs thin they attack the site. If it's that bad, leave.

I thought we were having a civil conversation about the ipad pro pricing. Obviously the winds have changed.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't matter how the latency is if you can't fun the apps you need. I've used the SP3 enough to know what the latency is like. You can go as deep into it as you'd like, though.

I just don't think a designer using Photoshop is going to drop a Surface Pro for an iPad Pro, considering that same tablet you use with you Mac Pro can be used with a Surface tablet.

Which is kind of my point. I understand an IPad as a supplementary device. I cannot see how it can replace Windows or OS X for Pro use. The reason why I mentioned the Surface specifically is because there is no comparable OS X hybrid device to compare the iPad Pro to within Apples ecosystem.

I edit audio and video. I also use Dartfish. Dartfish Express isn't a replacement for their Windows Software, and they don't make an OS X version. iMovie and GarageBand can't even compare to even the cheap consumer/prosumer Audio and Video Editors available for Desktop OSes.

My confusion stems form the fact that it's aimed at the Pro Market, but not even Apple found a reason to develop anything even close to a Pro App for it. The software available for it is all pretty much unsuitable for Pro Use, unless you want to deal with Adobe's 5,000 apps that they've plastered across every app store (why update one app, juts create a new one!) - and even that's stretching it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

I've used Garage Band to make commercially available records on a iPad 2. I have associates that use Garage Band exclusively to make record. I have associates that use the iPad Air as a entire Keyboard rack on Tour. I use my iPad as a control surface to mix in Logic Pro 9 or Pro Tools.

Every Apple device I use to make my living doesn't have Pro in the name or designation. I recorded live writing sessions on my iPhone and iPod Touch in the voice memo app and made money on it.

I do Bass sessions in Garage Band drop the file in Drop Box and get Paid via Pay Pal.

Running a iPad Pro as a control surface should be sweet and many other things can be done with it.
A Avid/Euphonix MC Mix is over $1000 and all it is is a control surface.

Give me a iPad mini Air Air2 any of them and I'm making money as soon as I unbox it using Garage Band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I have those 300-400 machines. They stink compared to our Macs. Even compared to a 500 Mini. Only problem with the Mini is the soldered RAM. The 2 systems aren't comparable by price or quality. Just like the tablets.

I've used macs a bit in school and had a $400 dollar windows laptop and I'll take the windows laptop everytime unless extreme portability is a major factor. If need be downgrade to Windows 7 and you'll be fine

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I've used macs a bit in school and had a $400 dollar windows laptop and I'll take the windows laptop everytime unless extreme portability is a major factor. If need be downgrade to Windows 7 and you'll be fine

I do use 7 in a VM a couple of times per week. Beats other versions but wish I didn't have to tho.

GCPDetective

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Or someone who appreciates support and world class customer service as opposed to being left out to dry with lackadaisical maintenance schedules and OS "upgrades" that render devices fairly unusable.

Fanaticism for quality products with impeccable support? Yup. I guess I'm a fanatic for those.

Pretty sure my laggy iPad 3 would beg to differ lol. Was fine on iOS 7 and didn't plan to upgrade until I was forced to after having to restore... Hell, even the onscreen keyboard is lagging as I type this. Plus the fact that apple wants to be a bunch of dicks and block downgrades doesn't help much either. Really feel like they're providing excellent customer service smh

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure my laggy iPad 3 would beg to differ lol. Was fine on iOS 7 and didn't plan to upgrade until I was forced to after having to restore... Hell, even the onscreen keyboard is lagging as I type this. Plus the fact that apple wants to be a bunch of dicks and block downgrades doesn't help much either. Really feel like they're providing excellent customer service smh

That stinks. Reminded me about a friend who became anti Apple because their first gen ipod touch couldn't be upgraded. They wanted the opposite.

3 years is not that long tho. Sux it's lagging. Have you tried some of these tops:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-speed-up-ios-7-on-an-older-device/

randally

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I my opinion, all Apple products are overpriced, but it doesn't stop me or 63 million other people from buying Apple products.....LOL

(This is not an attack on you Spencerdl, just building on the point you made)

Watching the keynote, specifically the "environmental" notes listed at the end of each product I thought back to a time that Apple was being constantly attacked because they didn't have fully environmental friendly production techniques. So here we are, some 15years later and Apple is rated as one of the MOST environmentally friendly companies.
What has been their economic investment in developing the necessary materials and processes to achieve this? Do they not have the right to be a bit more premium in their pricing due to this ?
How does Apple compare to the producers of these $300-400 laptops?
I am sure Apple could produce an economy priced laptop if they stepped away from this position, but would it actually be better?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
(This is not an attack on you Spencerdl, just building on the point you made)

Watching the keynote, specifically the "environmental" notes listed at the end of each product I thought back to a time that Apple was being constantly attacked because they didn't have fully environmental friendly production techniques. So here we are, some 15years later and Apple is rated as one of the MOST environmentally friendly companies.
What has been their economic investment in developing the necessary materials and processes to achieve this? Do they not have the right to be a bit more premium in their pricing due to this ?
How does Apple compare to the producers of these $300-400 laptops?
I am sure Apple could produce an economy priced laptop if they stepped away from this position, but would it actually be better?

Actually, this is a very good point and makes me proud to use a environmental conscious company called APPLE for my mobile needs. Thanks

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I plan to get an iPad Pro so I can actually leave my MBP Retina at my desk where it usually is and have a large portable device for work and personal use. My wife will get my iPad Air 2 challenge is IF she doesn't want it then its really a throw away device given the fact that resale values on Apple tablets are not that great, just looked at my AT&T 128GB LTE iPad Air 2 and it's worth about $300.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I love my Windows desktop PC back in the UK. It's a gaming behemoth that I built myself but the problem is that I hate Windows 8 (i'm running Windows 7 at the moment) and Microsoft have indicated that the next iteration on Windows will be a subscription based model and I loathe those completely. I haven't been back to the UK since the launch of Windows 10, so can't comment on that yet.

I have an iPhone 6, an iPod Classic 160Gb, a 2010 MacBook Pro 13" and up until recently I had an iPad 2 but it stopped functioning a couple of months back, so i am well versed in the Apple ecosystem.

I far prefer Windows on my desktop as i've been using that since the very beginning and am fully conversant with what goes on under the hood. there are many aspects of Yosemite that i dislike intensely. I loathe iTunes as a method of transferring stuff to my phone and far preferred the drag-and-drop functionality of my HTC One or even *shock horror* my various Samsung devices (disclaimer: All Android devices now sold).

But the fact that I can rely on my iPhone to do exactly what I need it to do, when I need it to do it, with absolutely no fuss or drama, is a big thing for me.

I would much rather pay more for something that is reliable and does what I need, than less money for something that is going to be less reliable for my needs.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I've got an iPad 3 that I stopped upgrading after iOS7. Why? Because I learned, with my iPhone 3GS, that newer OSs on old hardware does not work as smoothly as newer OSs on newer hardware.

As far as Apple being a bunch of dicks, your language, they stop signing the old OS after a few weeks of a new release. You put it on, you test it. You don't like it, remove it. Simple. This keeps as much uniformity as possible and keeps fragmentation lower. Different from other platforms.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/01/android-lollipop-passes-10-adoption/

As opposed to this

http://9to5mac.com/2015/02/03/ios-8...test-data-still-trails-ios-7-rate-a-year-ago/

So..... Have you taken your laptop to an Apple store? Have you given them a call?

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

Last edited:

user7c

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I would like to second that sentiment. My bankbook may not allow me to act on that sentiment currently, but when it does, I will. :).

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Really I thought the iPad Pro would be more than it is. I was expecting things to start at $999.00, so @ $799.00 I find it priced well ...
I guess Apple felt bad after the gouging they gave us on the Apple Watch and decided to cut us a break ... ;)

Christopher Spera

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
At $799, plus the Pencil ($99), plus the Keyboard ($169), the entry level iPad Pro is $1155.28 after tax. The new 12" MacBook is $1299.

I love all of my Apple gear; but don't fool yourself... The iPad Pro is still overpriced.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

iOS 9 gets rid of a lot of the lag issues.

I've got my old iPad 2 running 9.1 Public Beta 1, and once you reduce motion in the accessibility settings most of the lag that came with iOS 7 and iOS 8 is gone.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen