Ipad Battery life still poor after battery replacement

staticmike

May 13, 2018
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I am facing a really weird and utterly frustrating issue. I use my ipad pro as a notebook in which i take all my uni notes. As it turned out the ipad could only last around 4 hours on-screen time(I would usually just take some notes in notability with my apple pencil). Since I got the Ipad second hand with no warranty left I was forced to replace the battery. I had it done in a 3rd party Apple service. From the beginning it did not feel any better- except for the fact that a battery app showed “perfect condition” as opposed to “15% of wear” previously. Ipad does not show apps draining power in settings/battery - it only says to use the ipad for a couple of minutes but it does not change at all... at this point I do not really know what to do. I will definitely go to that service again, but I have 2 theories on what may actually be going on:

1. Ipad won’t fully work with a non-original battery

2. The U2 module on the motherboard is broken. (Or actually any other module).

Also:

I have tried restoring the device- didn’t help at all.

I have played a 10h long video on youtube and the ipad went down to 37% having played only 2h and 50min of the video. (The video is still playing as I am writing this post).

EDIT: It managed to playback the video for 5h- then it turned off.

I would really appreciate any help as I feel really let down by this iPad. I use it daily but this battery life is far from acceptable in my daily routine.

Last edited:

staticmike

May 13, 2018
Visit site
As I said: The battery would last around 4hours while doing nothind demanding. I would usually just surf the web or take notes. 4 hours is horrible! My ipad air2 would last 2 days (not 2 full days obviously) without charging- I would often forget to charge it over night and the battery life would still be perfectly fine for me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As I said: The battery would last around 4hours while doing nothind demanding. I would usually just surf the web or take notes. 4 hours is horrible! My ipad air2 would last 2 days (not 2 full days obviously) without charging- I would often forget to charge it over night and the battery life would still be perfectly fine for me.

Your iPad should not be draining the battery that fast with no use. With that being said, it's possible you have a rogue app or setting that could be causing the problem. If it were me, I'd restore the device and then set it up a new and then see how well the battery performs.

staticmike

May 13, 2018
Visit site
Your iPad should not be draining the battery that fast with no use. With that being said, it's possible you have a rogue app or setting that could be causing the problem. If it were me, I'd restore the device and then set it up a new and then see how well the battery performs.

I have tried restoring the device- didn’t help at all.

Also, my ipad managed to get 5h of battery life while watching the before mentioned video on youtube. That's still short of one hour from a normal score. Some people have even managed to upto 9h of batterylife from their 9.7 pros while watching videos non-stop. There's gotta be something wrong with it

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

It's been my experience on iOS devices, that any unusual battery drain comes from one or more apps misbehaving. I normally fix that by swiping any suspects out of multitasking. Also, bear in mind the big 3 battery users are Screen brightness, push notifications, and location services. Those 3 are notorious battery hogs.

staticmike

May 13, 2018
Visit site
It's been my experience on iOS devices, that any unusual battery drain comes from one or more apps misbehaving. I normally fix that by swiping any suspects out of multitasking. Also, bear in mind the big 3 battery users are Screen brightness, push notifications, and location services. Those 3 are notorious battery hogs.

I wish the problem was as easy as you think it is. I also noticed that sometimes the ipad makes a noise (as if it was plugged in) for a split second. I am indeed afraid that the U2 chip is dying :(.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I wish the problem was as easy as you think it is. I also noticed that sometimes the ipad makes a noise (as if it was plugged in) for a split second. I am indeed afraid that the U2 chip is dying :(.

I didn't say your issue is easy. I related my experience. What works for me may not solve your issue. So, you tried my suggestion, and it didn't work? There was probably nothing wrong with the battery you replaced. You might try restoring as new. Start fresh with a new copy of the OS. Then add in your apps one at a time and see what happens. There's a lot of things that can cause excessive battery drain. I hope you get it solved.

staticmike

May 13, 2018
Visit site
I didn't say your issue is easy. I related my experience. What works for me may not solve your issue. So, you tried my suggestion, and it didn't work? There was probably nothing wrong with the battery you replaced. You might try restoring as new. Start fresh with a new copy of the OS. Then add in your apps one at a time and see what happens. There's a lot of things that can cause excessive battery drain. I hope you get it solved.

It's not an issue with software for sure (I can bet my most valuable organs for it :p ). It's gotta be a hardware issue- Not really sure if it would be worth fixing at all. Repairing a U2 chip would cost me around 140$ so it's almost 1/3 of the ipad's value ( at least here in Poland)

staticmike

May 13, 2018
Visit site
Was it doing this before the battery was replaced? If so then it sound more like the iPad has issues before you bought it.

It was doing that from the beginning I believe. I just didn't notice it that much at the beginning. Now I use it quite a lot (or rather: I wish I could) and I just see the battery % drop every few minutes :(

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Ipad does not show apps draining power in settings/battery - it only says to use the ipad for a couple of minutes but it does not change at all.

This is a known iOS bug that myself and others here on the forum have posted about. I have it on my iPad as well. I don't think it's the battery persay, I think there's a sensor where something between the OS and the sensor are not picking up the information properly all the time.

As for the rest; I'd just buy a new iPad. Taking it in to Apple where they would replace parts with authentic apple parts wouldn't be cost efficient at this point.

staticmike

May 13, 2018
Visit site
This is a known iOS bug that myself and others here on the forum have posted about. I have it on my iPad as well. I don't think it's the battery persay, I think there's a sensor where something between the OS and the sensor are not picking up the information properly all the time.

As for the rest; I'd just buy a new iPad. Taking it in to Apple where they would replace parts with authentic apple parts wouldn't be cost efficient at this point.

Taking it to apple is not an option for sure... they have already told me replacing the ipad with a new one would cost me 560$ :crying: . I think I will just try to sell it as it is- maybe somebody will be able to fix it on their own.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW