Upgrade or wait...?

Rev17

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
I have been using the ipad pro 9.7 256gb since launch and back then it was just for casual use. Watching videos, streaming music to my speakers and the occasional email or work document.

Recently, I have almost retired my Macbook Pro and switched to it full time. However, the screen size limits this transition greatly.
Planning to switch to the larger 12.9.

Now the question is, should I wait for the rumored 2018 all screen (bezel less) ipad pro or get the 12.9 model right now?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
A bezel-less iPad requires an OLED panel. OLED panels are rarely used for laptops (the iPad Pro is claimed to be a laptop replacement) because they suffer from burn in. When you run an application like Microsoft Word or Outlook, the menu bar and ribbon are always visible and the screen is often on for a long period of time. This is likely to damage an OLED panel, with parts of the image becoming permanently "burnt in" over time.

Also, tablet and laptop sized OLED panels are likely to be very expensive, because there is very little demand due to this problem.

So I doubt whether Apple will use an OLED panel in the next iPad, and therefore I doubt that it will be bezel-less.

Last edited:

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
A bezel-less iPad requires an OLED panel. OLED panels are rarely used for laptops (the iPad Pro is claimed to be a laptop replacement) because they suffer from burn in. When you run an application like Microsoft Word or Outlook, the menu bar and ribbon are always visible and the screen is often on for a long period of time. This is likely to damage an OLED panel, with parts of the image becoming permanently "burnt in" over time.

Also, tablet and laptop sized OLED panels are likely to be very expensive, because there is very little demand due to this problem.

So I doubt whether Apple will use an OLED panel in the next iPad, and therefore I doubt that it will be bezel-less.

I believe your premise is wrong, I don't believe a bezel-less display needs to be OLED. As one example, look at the Essential phone vs. other "bezel-less" Android displays. Granted, it still has a "chin," though a relatively small one, but all phones (other than the iPhone X) require the chin. Further, though we'll have to wait and see, the rumored "cheap" iPhone next year, that is supposed to be like the X just with LCD, is allegedly bezel-less.

Having said that, there doesn't seem to be the same push to get a tablet completely bezel-less. I think this is more because, with the size and weight of a tablet, you almost need some bezel to hold onto the tablet. I doubt the bezels on the new iPad will be significantly smaller than on the current iPad Pro. The one exception might be on the bottom, where the chin is reduced since they no longer need to fit the TouchID sensor, since the new iPad Pros are rumored to have FaceID.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I believe your premise is wrong, I don't believe a bezel-less display needs to be OLED. As one example, look at the Essential phone vs. other "bezel-less" Android displays. Granted, it still has a "chin," though a relatively small one, but all phones (other than the iPhone X) require the chin. Further, though we'll have to wait and see, the rumored "cheap" iPhone next year, that is supposed to be like the X just with LCD, is allegedly bezel-less.

Good point about the Essential phone, although I doubt we will see any truly bezel-less LCD phone designs in the near future. The backlight for an LCD has to go somewhere, and in phones the only real choice is to put it on (at least) one edge. There might be new options in the future but they are unlikely to be ready this year, and may well be more expensive than an OLED (especially if there's spare capacity at the factory). Let's see what Apple and their suppliers can come up with.

Having said that, there doesn't seem to be the same push to get a tablet completely bezel-less. I think this is more because, with the size and weight of a tablet, you almost need some bezel to hold onto the tablet. I doubt the bezels on the new iPad will be significantly smaller than on the current iPad Pro. The one exception might be on the bottom, where the chin is reduced since they no longer need to fit the TouchID sensor, since the new iPad Pros are rumored to have FaceID.

I agree. Smaller bezels are less important on a tablet, and might even be a disadvantage.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR