iPad Pro as a media consumption device?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

I know the "pro" line is aimed at the professional consumer, BUT I use mine more as a media consumption device and general tablet. I like the extra power this model provides, and the multitasking features. BUT truth be told when I need to do serious work I break out the MacBook, or go on my iMac, or one of my work PCs.

Is there anyone else out there using the iPad Pro primarily as a media device and general tablet? Or have you opted for the lower cost models? The "new" iPad does look like a GREAT option for those on a budget, BUT I got a good deal on my pro, so I did not mind going that way. :) (I traded a phone plus cash for it)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. When I need to do "real" work, I pull my MacBook out. My iPad Pro 12.9 is mainly for media consumption, web browsing and gaming. I attempted to write papers and do research projects with it and I found it much easier to do on my MacBook. MUCH easier lol. Especially while researching.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Folks,

I know the "pro" line is aimed at the professional consumer, BUT I use mine more as a media consumption device and general tablet. I like the extra power this model provides, and the multitasking features. BUT truth be told when I need to do serious work I break out the MacBook, or go on my iMac, or one of my work PCs.

Is there anyone else out there using the iPad Pro primarily as a media device and general tablet? Or have you opted for the lower cost models? The "new" iPad does look like a GREAT option for those on a budget, BUT I got a good deal on my pro, so I did not mind going that way. :) (I traded a phone plus cash for it)

....and thus the reason why I think the iPad Pro should run macOS or a modification of it.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I was in the market for a new iPad, ,strongly considered and wanted the 9.7" Pro. But the tablet is primarily a media, browsing, and email device for me, and at the end I couldn't justify spending almost double on a Pro when the standard model basically met all my needs. The money saved is going towards my next MacBook upgrade instead :)

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
Agree with all of the above...
I've got the 128gb 9.7 pro and is awesome for email and consumption and also good for hobby photo editing but the os seriously lets the iPad down for serious creative content.
A full browser would go along way to help

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
For me, one of the main reasons I would choose the iPad Pro over the standard iPad is for the screen and speakers.

If I'm using a iPad for media consumption, like watching videos and looking at pictures, I would like the content to be displayed as best as possible :)

I feel the iPad Pro is more of a media consumption device and when it comes to doing e-mail, photo editing and maybe doing some Microsoft office work, my Macbook comes out. #Bigguns

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a lot of design apps for pro a/v integration like those you see on HGTV, so I use mine primarily (about 70/30) for work.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
It's my main device aside from my iPhone, i no longer use a laptop.
So yes, I'm all over various media sources but I also use it for my volunteer work and I discovered that with the PDF Expert app, I can really do anything : even my taxes and complete a home refinance without leaving home.
I use it for everything

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Now that I have the lighting to av cable, I no longer have to pay for DirecTV. That was pretty much the last thing I didn't use my iPad or iPhone for. I do have to use the iPhone with it though since the iPad doesn't have unlimited data...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods